Does Navigon use minutes or...

Wetstuff

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
.. data? We have had an iPad since about May that we use at home as "internet access" because we cannot get cable or DSL out in our part of the Weeds. We use a repeater that captures a signal from about 6mi away, but, of course, the iPad is all data. So now I want to reward Verizon for their s__tty wire service by cutting the wire... and, my wife will then be able to carry the home phone with her. (I plan on doing the same at my business..)

The Navigon regional deal was so good that it makes sense for her to use it rather than a TomTom, etc ... but the question is; where does it get its minutes from: data or minutes. Thanks.

Jim

spiderman001728

May 8, 2009
Visit site
The maps are stored on the device so as far as that goes it doesnt need to pull data. If you update to the traffic addon then that pulls data but very little.

Wetstuff

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
.... you can use it on the iPad .. I have a number of Phone apps (Skobbler is another Nav app - Free) that show up phone-sized, but still functional. You can even make them larger, but the resolution is yeech.

Jim

Spidey .. I was thinking -- unlike the various GPS units I have, the iPhone will not have the sat. antenna that conventional GPS have.... So, it must get the tracking position from the cel towers, no? Would that not mean that I am going to be using AT&T minutes or data? I was planning on using it in the a car, but would not, at the rates AT&T charges.

Jim