Useful, Simple, Free Financial App for IT Admins

storagepipe

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone. I hope this is the right forum for product announcements. If not, my apologies. Please let me know where to put this post and I'll correct this issue immediately.

Our company (Storagepipe Solutions) has been working closely with IT departments and helping them put together - and implement - disaster recovery plans for almost ten years now. In that time, we?ve noticed a common and disturbing trend within many companies.

Although it?s certainly true that almost every organization backs up their data consistently, it?s alarming to see how many of these companies have never actually tested their backups to see if they are complete, valid or accurate.

This might not seem too serious on the surface, but it can lead to a number of majot unexpected problems in the event of a crash or other emergency.

- Many people will back up their My Documents folders, but forget the PST files for their Outlook Emails.
- Many companies will back up their flat files, but forget to back up the SQL database on their sever.
- The company?s backup system may have been accidentally programmed to skip over an important folder.

These are all common scenarios that illustrate why it?s important to run a full backup recovery drill at least once per year. And in order to do this, we?ve developed a free tool called the Downtime Cost Calculator. DowntimeCost.com.

A proper disaster recovery drill involves a complete ?bare-metal? restoration of your critical IT systems. This means pretending that your office had been wiped out by a major natural disaster (which is becoming surprisingly common) and setting up shop at another location.

The effectiveness of a full disaster recovery drill can be measured by 3 key factors:

- The amount of data recovered
- The amount of functionality preserved
- The time it takes to recover

Of these, the most important for medium-to-large companies is the recovery time. For every second that your servers remain offline, the company incurs costs and the risk of more serious consequences increases. This is especially true considering the rising importance of issues relating to security, reputation, compliance, and the consumer demands for 24/7 service.

The Storagepipe Downtime Cost Calculator helps IT departments measure the amount of time it takes to bring servers and datacenters back online after an unexpected outage, and uses this data to estimate the potential financial impact to the organization.

Having this kind of insight can greatly refine the Total Cost of Ownership associated with most business continuity initiatives, while also arming IT managers with the hard financial data that?s required to justify IT budget increases to executives.

The app is completely confidential. None of the data you enter will be transmitted to Storagepipe, and the application does not ask you for any personally identifying information. This makes it safe to use with sensitive internal financial data.

To learn more about this app, or to download the Downtime Cost Calculator, visit DowntimeCost.com.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods