Review: Monster Feed HD

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Monster Feed HD, by Day Go By Entertainment
$3.99, ****1/2

Pros:

? Nice tower defense game with interesting game play
? Lots of variety in game combinations (levels, difficulty, boards, etc)
? Tutorial included

Cons:

? Graphics, while entertaining, don?t seem as polished
? Can?t customize your own ?character?

Tower defense games never seem to get old. Just when you think you have played enough of them, along comes another one that piques your curiosity. Monster Feed HD does just that.

In Monster Feed HD, the monsters are hungry, and it is your job to stop them from feeding. You do this by placing towers strategically along the path the monsters take ? this is the tower defense aspect. But in addition to this, you also have special spell abilities. You can upgrade these and use your powers to stop assist your towers in stopping the monsters. But be careful with the spells, because each time you cast you use up some of your mana. To make it even harder, the spells themselves take some time to ?regenerate?. Spells also don?t auto-target. You need to choose where the spell is aimed when it is cast.

When you play, you can choose one of two characters to play with, each with a different arsenal of spells. Ice boulder, ?gnasher?, trident?these are all some of the spells that will help you out. Unfortunately, there is no ability modify or customize the characters. I would love to see some ability to create your own character, choose the spells, and help that character become more powerful! Maybe that will be a feature of Monster Feed HD-2.

The monsters themselves are pretty difficult to defeat. Some of the monsters had hidden ability (although in some cases they are pretty obvious) to bypass your defenses. Spider?s can jump, I have seen some monsters with force shields ? they will do anything to get to their yummy yummy food. Another slight different is that when a monster is killed, you have to manually pick up the coins and mana that the monsters drop. While this is easy on the lower levels, it does add another challenge ? building (and upgrading towers), shooting spells, and picking up coins and mana balls?oh my!

The game is lots of fun to play. I like the interplay between the spells and the towers, but I do wish the graphics were a little better. The graphics aren?t bad, but after seeing what is capable in the iPad, I am beginning to expect more. I also wish (like always) there was a multiplayer option. On the iPad, perhaps one player could release monsters, the other player builds towers.

All in all, I found this an enjoyable, time consuming (in a good way) and involving tower defense game. What it lacks in graphics it makes up for in game play. At $3.99, I find this to be one of the better tower defense games I have played on the iPad. Four and a half out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating. 

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I don't know why the thumbnails are messing up. I posted five pictures here, and five on the Puppet Pals review.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strawberrymelon