Hi,
    I'm facing a hard problem, I'm developing an app to capture video from both front and rear camera simultaneously on IPhone 4 without jail-break and save it to one video with AVI format. I'm facing 2 problems:
    1. Capture videos simultaneously from both camera (front and rear).
    2. Save captured videos to only 1 file with AVI format.

I have worked arround with multimedia lib in IPhone SDK and know that UIImagePicker class support me capture video on IPhone, but it only support one camera device by setting cameraDevice property of UIImagePicker . Seem UIImagePicker can't help me more....

I want to display 2 captured videos from both camera in screen, one is background video (full screen) and one foreground video, like PIP effect (picture in picture video effect on Television program), then I wanna save them (captured videos) to only 1 video file with video format, properly AVI format.

For those purpose, I did search around on google, and know that FFMPEG seem support merge 2 video with PIP effect but I don't see any tutorial about it. I don't have any exp on FFMPEG before....

I'm very sad now, because the problem (1) & (2) are still there. I don't know how to capture videos simultaneously on IPhone, then merge and save them in only 1 video file like PIP effect.

Anyone have idea about my those problems ? please help me !
    10-27-2010 02:35 AM
    I never developed for the iPhone but could it be that the API only provides access to one camera at a time because of hardware limitations (it would take twice the power to record and encode 2 video sources)?
    10-27-2010 03:38 AM
    Have u ever tried FaceTime of Apple, they can access both camera with PIP technology very well. What did they do ????
    10-27-2010 03:47 AM
    Have u ever tried FaceTime of Apple, they can access both camera with PIP technology very well. What did they do ????
    Good point! So i guess there's no hardware limitation.
    10-27-2010 05:29 AM
    Good point! So i guess there's no hardware limitation.
    But on Facetime only 1 camera is used at a time, you switch between the two - they don't both record simultaneously.
    10-27-2010 05:34 AM
    But on Facetime only 1 camera is used at a time, you switch between the two - they don't both record simultaneously.
    True. Its only the PIP in action.

Have you tried contacting Apple about this? I'm sure they'll have a technical answer for you.
    10-27-2010 05:47 AM
    Really ? Facetime just use 1 camera at one ? Have u ever try it on real IPhone, I just read the introduction on Apple site, I thought that it use both camera simultaneously with PIP effect ....

So you guys raise a solution that we can switch camera to simulate using both camera simultaneously. I also think it's possible. But if so, I will have 2 videos from front and rear camere, but I need to merge them and save to only 1 video file with PIP effect. So you guys have any about this ? How can I do that ?
    10-27-2010 05:54 AM
    Hey guys this goes in the IOS developers section! I think you might get more/better replies in that section! =)
    10-27-2010 11:23 AM
    Hey guys this goes in the IOS developers section! I think you might get more/better replies in that section! =)
    Thanks, I have posted a new thread in iOS Developer section.
    10-27-2010 10:57 PM
    hm..
    i've bought a special Facetime recoder - IMCapture for Facetime last monday. Is it yours?
    (founded this forum with google)
    02-18-2011 09:22 AM
    Both camera's are not active at the same time. You might want to look in a developer forum. I'm not a dev but I would wage with the stock SDK you can't, or maybe it's a private API Apple has for Facetime features.
    02-18-2011 09:27 AM
    Like the concept of an app like that. Let us know if you figure anything out.
    02-18-2011 06:09 PM
    as for me I heard a lot of positive reviews about IMCapture for Facetime
    02-24-2011 07:56 AM
    I I want this app for unjailbroken iPhone 4
    01-30-2012 01:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD