Hey there. I'm thinking about getting the iPhone4, but there are a few things I would miss about my current phone (Palm Pre). So I'm trying to see if there are apps to fill in the blanks.

One of the things I'm looking for is an app that auto-completes SMS abbreviations. For example, if I type "u", it automatically becomes "you". Or if I type "r", it automatically becomes "are".

Also, is there an app that auto-capitalizes words? For example, if I type "i", it automatically becomes "I".

Thanks!
    09-15-2010 12:04 AM
    Yes to auto caps. That's native to the iPhone. I'm not sure for the abreviation ?
    NINnerd likes this.
    09-15-2010 12:17 AM
    Thanks for the response.

Anyone know about the abbreviations?
    09-17-2010 09:39 PM
    the phone automatically does most of that but it wont fix "r" but ur will become your
    NINnerd likes this.
    09-17-2010 10:15 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

I know the iPhone doesn't automatically make "r" into "are", but is there an APP that does? Thank you!
    09-20-2010 10:37 PM
    probably but not any that are super popular and most people would rather deal then dig through a bajillion apps to find a unique feature like that
    sorry mate you'd probably be better off writing your own app
    and you can't really send a text from an app... at least it wont look like its coming through your phone (your # wont show up)
    so the best you could hope for is some app that allow you to type all that out then copy and paste it into the messages app
    NINnerd likes this.
    09-21-2010 01:05 AM
    Oh ok, thanks. I can't write apps. Haha. I'm not that technologically advanced.

I have a Palm Pre right now, and there are things called patches that we can put on our phone (they are user-made, and you install them in developer mode). They allow all sorts of things like this. I thought maybe iPhone had an app for it.

Thanks for the replies!
    09-22-2010 12:19 AM
    I know this thread is two years old, but in case you haven't found the answer on your own, you can customize text abbreviations via the "Shortcuts" feature under "Settings." Go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Add New Shortcut. This allows you to input abbreviations to words/ phrases you commonly use while texting. An example would be substituting "people" for "ppl." You type "ppl" in a text message and the phone automatically replaces it with "people." Pretty neat!
    07-07-2012 11:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD