my favorite planet is uranus for obvious reasons, nah just kidding i like all the stars never get to see them tho where i live it's kinda pointless to buy a telescope it's to bright to see anything. if i had to pic i'd say Earth cause it's the one i know the most about.
    08-11-2010 10:37 PM
    Saturn and Orion without a doubt the most beautiful planet and constellation.
    08-11-2010 10:57 PM
    Favorite constellation: bootes, because without the umlaut over the second 'o', it looks like it should be pronounced 'booties'.

Favorite planet: Pluto, dammit.
    08-11-2010 11:10 PM
    My favorite constellation is cassiopea, where one can find the andromeda galaxy! One of my favorite reasons for escaping to the wilderness = beautiful skies!
    08-11-2010 11:40 PM
    When I was 5 my step mother gave me an awesome Christmas gift. She named a star after me with the International Star Registry. So that's my favorite. Wait, that's not a planet is it? Ok, so change that to Pluto. Dangit, I'm still not naming planets huh? Well, when the star was named after me, PLuto was still a planet, but I guess I will choose Earth. If it weren't for that planet, I wouldn't even be here.
    08-11-2010 11:54 PM
    Perseus is my favorite
    08-12-2010 12:44 AM
    Lyra is my favorite constellation, as my first big "wow!" moment with astronomy was seeing the magical Ring Nebula (M57) within Lyra. So cool how it appears to be a smudge in the telescope eyepiece, then magically opens to a clearly defined smoke ring when you look slightly off to one side (peripheral vision being more sensitive); only to return to a smudge when you look back at it!

Saturn has to be my favorite planet. I remember the surprise I felt when I first turned my new telescope onto Saturn! To see how clearly those rings stood out, even at low magnifications, it just seemed almost impossible. I still get a kick out of seeing someone new to astronomy get their first view of Saturn through a telescope!

Bonus: Albireo is my favorite star, but is actually a double. A beautifully contrasting blue and yellow pair marks the bottom of the cross of the constellation Cygnus!

Ken
    Nebulous1
    Last edited by Nebulous1; 08-12-2010 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Oops! Listed fave star instead of planet.
    08-12-2010 01:48 AM
    For a planet, my favorite is Iota Draconis b which is one of the planets that has been found outside of our solar system in the last two decades. It has a great sci-fi name and represents astronomers continuing effort to discover planets outside of solar system.

My favorite constellation is Centaurus which is home to Proxima, the star closest to Earth other than the sun. Maybe this will be one of the first places in the future that we will visit as we go beyond our own solar system.
    08-12-2010 04:50 AM
    I can't help but being impressed by the planet earth, notwithstanding all of its faults. The weather system on earth is often violent and hostile (as are many of its native inhabitants). It spins on a slanted axis, which undoubtedly affects the political/social attitudes of its tribal leaders. It has an abundance of extractive minerals, although the natives have squandered them for eons.

This planet has the ecosystem that could support life, with some protective accommodations. All told, it may be salvageable.
    08-12-2010 08:35 AM
    I think each every planet and constellation is very interesting but earth is probably the most interesting of all because even though we live here we still don't know everything about it.
    08-12-2010 08:57 AM
    Orion is my favorite constallation as it's the one I remember my mom pointing out to me and getting me interested in astronomy. I always though Mars was pretty cool too.
    08-12-2010 09:23 AM
    Well it has taken me some time to choose my favorite, with so many to choose from. I have narrowed it down to just one. I found it so difficult to do because it seems like every day things are changing. One day ones a planet and the next it is not. And with all these planets popping up, like planet hollywood, planet green, planet of the apes, I had to choose limit my selection to the original 9. So i've decided it has to be Venus. Because there are some many hot babes that live there. Here's a picture of one:

As for my favorite constellation? That has got to be Puppis
    Two dogs (stars) here. Naos (Zeta Pup - 6th from the right) and Azmidiske (Xi Pup - 11th from the left)
    Here's a pic of it:

Gotta love that cute little guy!!!
    08-12-2010 09:48 AM
    Saturn, because the endless dance of all those rings and moons is mesmerizing. I mean, have you seen those photos? (Can't link directly, due to newbieness.)
    08-12-2010 10:07 AM
    Uranus is also fun to stare at. My favorite constellation is Orion.
    08-12-2010 10:57 AM
    Favorite planet(oid) - Pluto ... poor thing has gotten a bum rap.
    08-12-2010 11:21 AM
    My favorite planet isn't a planet but would be Europa (a moon of Jupiter.) I think thats the best candidate for life in our solar system outside Earth. For a constellation I would say the Little Dipper because it has Polaris which has guided navigators for centuries. I would think this app could be really great if it used the gyroscope and gave some type of augmented reality on the night sky!
    08-12-2010 12:50 PM
    Hello,

Would love to have this app; was thinking of tring it, but was a bit costly.
    My favs are Gemini (mine and my daughters sign) and Mars because of the red hugh it gives off and it is almost always visible without a telescope.

JT
    08-12-2010 12:57 PM
    I gotta say Earth is quite unique in how we get to enjoy breathing and stand firmly on ground.
    08-12-2010 01:37 PM
    My favorite planet is Gliese 581-D and constellation Caelum
    Last edited by mattpwns; 08-12-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Accedental post
    08-12-2010 01:50 PM
    I would say that Venus is my favorite - beautiful from afar but will crush you, boil you to death and choke you on poisonous gas if you get too close. Who doesn't know someone like that!!

Though it's neither a planet or a constellation, the Crab nebula is very cool (for that matter, the word 'nebula' is cool unto itself!!!)

Those would be my favs and Distant Suns would help me always find them.
    08-12-2010 05:53 PM
    My favorite would have to be Saturn. Not because of the planet itself, although it is majestically beautiful, but because of two of its moons: Titan and Enceladus.

These two wordlets are among the best chances for finding life, perhaps even multicellular life, in our own solar system. Both are, at least on the surface, incredibly cold, but there are signs of liquid water beneath Enceladus' icy crust- perhaps there are vast subsurface oceans, teeming with life. Life in these oceans might look quite like life on Earth, but life on Titan would have to be vastly different.

As far as we know, Titan has no liquid water (though there is still the possibility of liquid water under the surface), but it has an atmosphere rich in the most basic building blocks of life. We consider water necessary to life because of its function as an excellent solvent, but at the temperatures common on Titan's surface, methane is a liquid, and methane could well be as good a solvent as water, or even better. There is even some small evidence for life on Titan: acetylene should be accumulating on its surface, but it disappears as rapidly as it is produced, suggesting organisms living in Titan's methane lakes might be consuming it. Such organisms might resemble life on the early Earth, but almost certainly would be unlike anything living here today.

Even if Titan and Enceladus are devoid of life, the fact that they contain so many of the ingredients for it should give us hope for finding life around other stars. The Kepler telescope recently reported finding over a hundred possible Earth-sized planets, but most of these will be too hot to harbor life. With Enceladus and Titan as models, we can broaden our search criteria to include giant planets orbiting far from their stars; the moons of such planets may be oases of life.

Saturn is a beautiful world, but its moons have more promise than their parent.
    08-12-2010 10:40 PM
    Congrats to the winners, check your PMs for details!

cjvitek

ldganer

hsiegelman

davecotter

scottder

djayme7

Titus Dominus

RocketmanNY

cbm

SciTeach3
    08-13-2010 04:53 PM
72 123