Jupiter is my favorite planet besides Earth. I am excited about the Jupiter mission that is almost ready to launch. That tank should be able to get some nice information on Jupiter.
    08-11-2010 05:27 PM
    My favorite planet is by far Earth, then Saturn because of the rings! My favorite constellation is the big dipper, because I use it to find North.
    08-11-2010 05:29 PM
    Jupiter!!! Love the Red Spot.
    08-11-2010 05:39 PM
    My favorite is Pluto, why cause I like the name
    08-11-2010 05:43 PM
    Mars is my favorite planet because when I was younger, everytime I told someone that I wanted to see the planets, they would actually laugh at me.

Until, one day I was reading the newspaper and in it they mentioned that Mars would be visible to the naked eye, and boy did I see it that day.

I was only 7 at the time but I instantly fell in love with Mars and all of the other planets. Since that day, I have been a fan of Mars and using Distant Suns 3 on the night of August 12th would be my dream come true.

Sirius, or Canis Major (Part of Ptolemy's 48 constellations) is my favorite constellation because I love the name.
    Last edited by kmiahali; 08-11-2010 at 05:52 PM.
    08-11-2010 05:45 PM
    My favorite planet is Saturn, it was the first planet I was able to look at and distinguish when I first got a decent telescope, and made me fall in love with astronomy.

I really love just finding different constellations, but Draco is my favorite, because when learning to find the constellations. It was right next to Ursa Major (The Big Dipper) so it was easy to find and not as everyone knew it so I enjoyed pointing it out.
    08-11-2010 05:49 PM
    My favorite planet is Mars because it was easy to find as a youngster. My favorite constallation would be the Big Dipper. It was always an easy one to show kids as an intro to stars.

Hoping I can win. Thanks to Distant Suns and TiPb.
    08-11-2010 05:51 PM
    Mars is my favorite because it's the most realistic future home for us once we outgrow dear old Earth. Terraforming FTW!
    08-11-2010 05:52 PM
    what else...planet EARTH..looking up on my favorite constellation - URSA MAJOR...
    08-11-2010 05:52 PM
    My favorite planet is Venus because it is brilliant and beautiful in the twilight and dawn sky. My favorite constellation is Corvus because it has such a simple yet distinctive shape, and it is a harbinger of spring. (Also, corvids are brilliant and beautiful)
    08-11-2010 05:55 PM
    Gotta love the sun. Without it we're dead. Ok, the sun is not a planet, but from way out there it could be part of a constellation.
    08-11-2010 06:02 PM
    I would have to go with the big dipper (Ursa Major). That might not sound imaginative, but hear me out. The Big Dipper is the easiest constellation in the sky for me to spot. From that reference point I can usually find anything else I'm trying to locate. That comes in particularly handy when the moon isn't out.

As far as planet, I'm going with Pluto only because I think it got a bad deal from from the IAU.
    08-11-2010 06:11 PM
    No one has said PSR B1257+12 B?

That is the first extra-solar planet discovered! Proof that there are planets beyond our solar system!

(also, some people needs to read the instructions! Planet AND constellation. Not celestial body, unless Leanna is feeling generous! )

Sounds like a cool app, but I am not entering...just commenting.

Chris
    08-11-2010 06:16 PM
    Orion is my favorite simply because it is the first I learned to identify. This fall when the weather is more cooperative I'd like to break out my telescope and start learning where more stuff is located.
    08-11-2010 06:36 PM
    Favourite planet would be Melmac, and favourite constellation (galaxy actually) would be the one that is "far, far away".
    08-11-2010 06:53 PM
    I am an 8th grade science teacher and as a part of my curriculum I teach about our solar system. I have worked a lot with the great people at the Mars Education Program at Arizona State Univ to use actual NASA research in my classes. The fact that the first people who will more than likely walk on Mars is currently sitting in a middle school classroom excites my students and makes the learning real. So the more I learn about Mars to use that information in my classes, the more I get totally jazzed up myself on this quarky red planet.

I would totally love this app to actually use it when teaching and trying to answer questions my students have that I do not know. Definitely an iPhone at Work kind of moment.
    08-11-2010 07:21 PM
    Because it was the first constellation my dad showed 25 years ago. When I see it now with my son I think of him, as my son will of me..... It goes on.
    08-11-2010 07:26 PM
    The Orion nebula (M42) is awesome! You can see it with the naked eye, and the more you magnify, the more you see. Ethereal and just plain gorgeous. Check it out!!
    08-11-2010 07:52 PM
    My favorite planet is Earth. There is no place like home. My favorite constellation is Orion. It the most beautiful to look at, but also has all the brightest stars and Orion nebula. Distant Suns will make it all the more enjoyable to look at it. :-)
    08-11-2010 08:05 PM
    My favorite planet is Earth, and my favorite constellation is Pisces.
    08-11-2010 08:18 PM
    The Crab Nebula is really pretty, Mars seems like a good vacation spot, my dogs are big fans of Sirius, but for I'm going to have to go with the harsh beauty of Earth's moon.
    08-11-2010 08:27 PM
    Honestly? My favorite is god ole Mother Earth. She is the source and sustainer of all that is dear to me in this brief journey called life. There is so much variety and beauty, what is there not to love?
    08-11-2010 08:41 PM
    As a Carl Sagan Fan Club Member, I have to vote for the two preeminent vistas: Orion and its stellar nursery, and the Majestic rings of Saturn. His late Saganosity would definitely agree.
    08-11-2010 09:22 PM
    Orion. Where I live knowing the month and looking at Orion's belt at night I can tell what hour it is.
    08-11-2010 09:37 PM
    Mars is my favorite. I think because it's always perceived as being the planet we'll most likely colonize. Although (while not a planet), the moon is a whole lot closer...
    08-11-2010 10:14 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD