Skype calls without 3G and Wifi

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Dear TiPb Community,

We would appreciate your feedback on our latest Skype "web app" called Mani-Sky, that allows calls from iPhone to Skype without 3G or Wifi.

It works on any mobile network in the UK, US, Canada and many other countries serviced by Manifone. By sending the voice through as a phone call instead of data packets, it provides a much better user experience in terms of call quality than traditional solutions. It's a web-based application, and consumes very little data traffic (only during call setup).

Please have a look at manisky.manifone.com to see how it works and test it live. Your suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.

Thomas,
Manifone

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Say what? You want us to make phone calls on our phones?

Limit data by using a web app that turns a voip call into a traditional phone call? So it winds up costing very little data, but voice minutes?

::confused::

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Say what? You want us to make phone calls on our phones?

Limit data by using a web app that turns a voip call into a traditional phone call? So it winds up costing very little data, but voice minutes?

::confused::

oooh, oooh, oooh! I got it! Use your PLAN minutes for voice calls! :eek::cool:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
That's what it sounds like to me. If it's more than using voice minutes to place voice calls to a Skype number (which would be ridiculous), we need further clarification.

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, the description I gave may have been a bit confusing:

Mani-Sky is an alternative to various Skype applications that run on your mobile phone. But unlike all those applications, it does not require a Wifi- or 3G internet connection to work - so it works also while on the move, in the car, on the train, etc. It works by routing your call to your Skype friend (who can be anywhere in the world) via a local phone number in your country.

- What do you pay? a price of a local call - could be free if included in your montly plan.

- What do you get? Calls from your mobile to Skype eg. calls from the US to Iraq.

- How is it diffent from Skype's own mobile app and other alternatives? It has far better sound quality and is always available as long as you have mobile coverage.

I hope this helps :) Thanks for your feedback! :)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
No, it sounds like the description you gave was accurate. In the US, we have unlimited data with most of our plans. On AT&T, you can't even use an iPhone without a data plan. The voice minutes - even a local call - are what cost us dearly. So your proposal would wind up costing us rather than saving us.

Example, I use voice minutes, it comes out of my total of 900 voice minutes for the month. If I use Skype, it's just data and I lose nothing.

ajnabi

Mar 1, 2010
www.fixpod.com.au
Dear TiPb Community,

We would appreciate your feedback on our latest Skype "web app" called Mani-Sky, that allows calls from iPhone to Skype without 3G or Wifi.

It works on any mobile network in the UK, US, Canada and many other countries serviced by Manifone. By sending the voice through as a phone call instead of data packets, it provides a much better user experience in terms of call quality than traditional solutions. It's a web-based application, and consumes very little data traffic (only during call setup).

Please have a look at manisky.manifone.com to see how it works and test it live. Your suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.

Thomas,
Manifone

is it service provider dependent , can it be used on asia ?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
No, it sounds like the description you gave was accurate. In the US, we have unlimited data with most of our plans. On AT&T, you can't even use an iPhone without a data plan. The voice minutes - even a local call - are what cost us dearly. So your proposal would wind up costing us rather than saving us.

Example, I use voice minutes, it comes out of my total of 900 voice minutes for the month. If I use Skype, it's just data and I lose nothing.

I understand your points, and I fully agree that if it was only about saving money or minutes, skype over data would be the best option. But from what I heard, Skype over 3G is still not a viable solution: the sound is choppy, the conversation is not enjoyable, especially if you're on the move. After all, Mani-Sky is a solution to this particular problem.

Sometimes it can be a life-saver ;)
youtube .com/watch?v=AQ1UL1KW-5o

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
is it service provider dependent , can it be used on asia ?

It's not service provider dependent, but country-dependent. For the moment, Manifone is not available in any asian country, but that may change very soon. please check Manifone's website (FAQ) for the list of countries supported.

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Actually, it works in all these countries:
Austria
Belgium
Canada
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Israel
Italy
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Spain
Switzerland
United Kingdom
United States

rubinstein.david29

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
uhmm does it keep the skype contacts in sync? like if i add a new contact in skype will it appear in mani-sky at least after some time, or do i have to resync each time?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR