Hey everyone. I'm considering switching from a Blackberry 8330 to either the new iPhone or an Android device. I had some questions though regarding Google Apps. I posted a similar question before but got no response so here's another try. I know these are no native apps for these apps so that is why I ask.

1) GMail-How well does the iPhone mail app handle GMail? Is it possible for the Mail app to search through all of my old email? For instance if I wanted to find an address from an email sent to me 7 months ago? Also, will the Mail app have access to all the email addresses in my GMail contacts? Also, is it possible to "archive"?

2) GChat/Google Talk- How do most people handle this? Do you use BeeJive? How reliable is BeeJive? I'm coming from a BlackBerry so I will be using GChat as a replacement for Blackberry Messenger. How reliable is GChat on BeeJive? On BBM if I someone sends me a message while I'm underground in the subway it will arrive when I get service again. Is it the same way with BeeJuive on iPhone?

If you don't use BeeJive, how reliable is the web-based GTalk client? I know it's on a website but is it possible to use it and to always be online and receive notifications? How are chats received through the web-based app?

Thanks!
    07-07-2010 01:24 PM
    I can't help with the chat questions, but I've been using Gmail on my iPhone and it works great. All messages are available, even those archived on the server. The Spotlight Search will enable you to search all messages, but I'm not sure if that's only the messages downloaded to the handset or not.

Re: contacts - I was able to load all of my contacts onto my phone. Everything is there, including extra info for each contact. Photos, too!
    07-07-2010 01:49 PM
    I am a GMail users and I love Gmail on the iphone. I have it set up thru Microsoft exchange. Its pushed directly to my iphone. The only downfall about gmail is the archiving. Sometimes I need to go back 7 months ago like you said so what I have did was added the Gmail mail app on my home screen and search older mail thru that. I have used Gchat before. The only downfall was I had to be logged into and running the app in order to receive the message. Beejive works for that though. Hopefully this helped you.
    07-07-2010 01:50 PM
    Hi everybody, I just want to say hello! How is everyone??
    07-07-2010 01:52 PM
    I am a GMail users and I love Gmail on the iphone. I have it set up thru Microsoft exchange. Its pushed directly to my iphone. The only downfall about gmail is the archiving. Sometimes I need to go back 7 months ago like you said so what I have did was added the Gmail mail app on my home screen and search older mail thru that. I have used Gchat before. The only downfall was I had to be logged into and running the app in order to receive the message. Beejive works for that though. Hopefully this helped you.
    I assume that when you say you added the "Gmail mail app on my home screen," you mean that you put a link to the Gmail website. right? There isn't a native Gmail app, correct?
    07-07-2010 01:54 PM
    anyone have any info on the reliability of BeeJive?
    07-07-2010 02:41 PM
    anyone have any info on the reliability of BeeJive?
    I've been using Beejive for close to a year. It functions just like any other instant messenger. Push notifications work as advertised. It's also updated to take advantage of iOS4 multi-tasking. I get every message. I'm also able to use it to send pics and voice memos too.
    07-07-2010 03:45 PM
    I assume that when you say you added the "Gmail mail app on my home screen," you mean that you put a link to the Gmail website. right? There isn't a native Gmail app, correct?
    I believe that is what he meant as well.
    07-07-2010 04:32 PM
    Yes, I put a link to the Gmail website on my home screen. Sorry about that. I didnt mean Gmail app.
    07-07-2010 04:35 PM
    I have a BlackBerry, Pre, Nexus One & 3GS/i4.
    My Gmail (through MS Exchange) gets to both
    my iPhone faster than my Pre and Nexus One
    (which is surprising that the iOS would beat
    Android for email). It is so instant, I get it on
    my iPhone before I see it on the server at
    times.

When I got the Nexus One, I started using
    GTalk a lot and with the iPhone, BeeJive
    does the trick for me. All you have to do
    is set it to how long you'd like it to keep
    you logged on for (mine is set to 24 hours)
    when not being in the app.

I've never used the web based version
    of GTalk on the iPhone. I've always used
    BeeJive. I may try that out and let you
    know how it is.
    07-07-2010 04:40 PM
    Is there a way to send calendar updates to your g-mail calendar without logging into the calendar?

ie can someone e-mail an appointment to the calendar?
    07-07-2010 04:41 PM
    There is a GMailApp in the app store (link)
    07-07-2010 04:46 PM
    I have a BlackBerry, Pre, Nexus One & 3GS/i4.
    My Gmail (through MS Exchange) gets to both
    my iPhone faster than my Pre and Nexus One
    (which is surprising that the iOS would beat
    Android for email). It is so instant, I get it on
    my iPhone before I see it on the server at
    times.

When I got the Nexus One, I started using
    GTalk a lot and with the iPhone, BeeJive
    does the trick for me. All you have to do
    is set it to how long you'd like it to keep
    you logged on for (mine is set to 24 hours)
    when not being in the app.

I've never used the web based version
    of GTalk on the iPhone. I've always used
    BeeJive. I may try that out and let you
    know how it is.

Thanks for your help Duvi. two more quick questions for you:
    1) If I have my GMail hooked up to the stock Apple Mail client, is it possible to search through old emails? From months ago for example? Or would I have to go to the gmail site to do that? Also, what about moving over contacts from my Gmail address book into the Apple Mail client?

2) With BeeJive, if someone sends me a message while I'm underground in the subway, will I receive it when I finally get service?

Thanks!
    07-07-2010 08:27 PM
    Thanks for your help Duvi. two more quick questions for you:
    1) If I have my GMail hooked up to the stock Apple Mail client, is it possible to search through old emails? From months ago for example? Or would I have to go to the gmail site to do that? Also, what about moving over contacts from my Gmail address book into the Apple Mail client?

2) With BeeJive, if someone sends me a message while I'm underground in the subway, will I receive it when I finally get service?

Thanks!
    With the iOS, you're able to go through your folders
    and see all the mail you have. You just have to
    ensure you set "Mail Days to Sync" to 'No Limit'.

BeeJive... honestly, I'm not sure. I've never been
    w/o reception on my iPhone, so I can't say. I
    know I've turned wireless off and when turning it
    back on, I've received my notifications. That
    may or may not make a difference.
    07-07-2010 09:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD