Navigation

Xtian80

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for a good turn by turn nav app that doesnt cost a lot of money. I have searched the forums and everyone keeps saying to get AT&T's or the new Tom Tom app, but those are both more than i want to pay. Any advice?

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The one I've been using is CoPilot. It does turn by turn and for a $2.99 upgrade you can get TTL which will actually speak street names. It is iOS4 tested and updated, so it continues to track your status even in the background. It can also give verbal commands while in the background. $4.99 and free map up dates through 2010.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Telenav has been available for iPhone for quite some time. They've even been running a special, although I forget just what the terms are....$6/month instead of $9 for the first 3 months? Something like that.

Personally, I'd save up the money and go with Tomtom. I own 4 gps apps, and nothing compares to Tomtom.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Telenav has been available for iPhone for quite some time. They've even been running a special, although I forget just what the terms are....$6/month instead of $9 for the first 3 months? Something like that.

Personally, I'd save up the money and go with Tomtom. I own 4 gps apps, and nothing compares to Tomtom.
$6.99 and unless it is my iPhone, it sucks. It
it very slow in updating your position. I rather
use my Nexus One w/ free navigation.

I don't want to "try out" Tom-Tom for that much
money though. With Navigator and CoPilot being
the reason I'm scared. For the BB and Nexus,
they work well, but on my iPhone, it is always
re-routing even when I'm going the right way.

Which four you got?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I have Co-Pilot and Sygic North America. Neither of them were aware of an interstate exit that has been around for more than a year! I uninstalled NDrive almost as soon as I had it loaded, it had different routing ideas than I did!

I was lucky enough to participate in a Tomtom beta, & rarely were the maps wrong (& they have a great reporting system in place for when that happens).

I never did figure out the point of Waze, or how to really use it, so that renders it useless.

Going back to Tomtom for good.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I bought Tomtom for my Palm years ago. I had some issues with it, and their [awful] customer service people kept telling me it was because I had other things besides Tomtom on my sd card. Um...hello? That's why I had an 8GB card. So I switched to Telenav. But I've always thought Tomtom was the Cadillac of gps.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
GPS Drive is what i used to get from NJ to London, ON, CA and back TWICE for $2.99 and u only pay when u need to use it...example: so when i need it, i payed $2.99 once and use it to go from NJ to Canada, stayed for a week, used the GPS Drive to get back to NJ and used it when i needed it, until the 30 days ran out... 45 days later, i needed it again to get back to Canada so i paid $2.99 again and it gave me a new 30 days ;) great app and extremely accurate!

peanutgallery

Apr 4, 2010
www.thepeanutgallery.net
I hate adding to this thread because there are tons others covering this topic but I can't help it.

I love Navigon. The choice came down to maps on the device over price. I figured if I really needed a GPS app chances are I might not have service. So that left it to Navigon and TomTom. Navigon's one time fee for traffic and their built in iPod controls sealed the deal for me. Not to mention I snagged the US and Canada version on sale for $50.

ToddC#IM

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for a good turn by turn nav app that doesnt cost a lot of money. I have searched the forums and everyone keeps saying to get AT&T's or the new Tom Tom app, but those are both more than i want to pay. Any advice?

You could always try Mapquest 4 Mobile. It's free. I haven't used it much, but I tried it out the other day just for kicks and it did a good job of getting me from my office to my house with turn-by-turn spoken directions, including street names. Not sure how accurate it is everywhere, but it's worth the price :)

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Motion-X's GPS Drive is a damn awesome navigation app as two people have already stated. It's currently $0.99 in the App Store and it gives you 30 days free Voice-Initiated Turn-By-Turn Directions. After that it's $2.99 per month if you choose to pay-as-you-need-it or $24.99 a year. After my 30 days are up, I have no problems signing up for a year! I had issues on the first day with the voice not working and I emailed customer support on July 4th. Within a few hours someone responded to my email - ON A HOLIDAY!!! Now that is some damn fine customer service if I've ever heard of it! :D

Last edited:

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
How does GPS Drive do with things like POI and saving locations?

it does excellent! i have no problems with using those features on that app... also, when im driving and when i hit a dead spot, the GPS goes off line but u can still use the map to continue your navigation until u get back online.

Xtian80

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
So i'm looking at either the MotionX GPS drive or the mapquest 4 mobile...any opinions on which is better/easier to use. Also, do either of them have any "added" fees, such as subscription or anything?

Thanks for the help

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
i would go with gps drive cause thats what i have and have no complaints... it does a great job of helping me get from A to B

Chris_c81

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
TomTom is, IMHO, the most complete iPhone satnav app money can buy, however it is pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Before TomTom I was using CoPilot, which is now very cheap on the App Store. I would recommend it as the best value for money satnav app.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox