well GPS Drive put out an update a little while ago which gives it built-in real-time traffic updates so when your in motion, the GPS will automatically send u on the best/ fastest route to avoid traffic and its included in the $2.99/ 30days or $24.99/yr!! CANT BEAT THAT!
    07-08-2010 12:38 PM
    MotionX GPS Drive is very good and with my motionX I.D. I can use my voice guidance package on any iPhone or iPad with the app installed! Also, if you lose your iPhone/iPad or either one is stolen, you don't lose your paid voice guidance package. One less thing to worry about, I guess. Not sure about the other apps, I'm sure they are very good as well. I've heard people mention that some nav. apps do not notify you of your next command, until your real close. I cannot think of any complaints I have with this app, although I've only used it & could not compare it with the others. I'm sure they all have there little negatives, one way or another.
    07-08-2010 07:37 PM
    and the winner issssssssss........................MOTION X GPS DRIVEEEEEEE!!
    07-08-2010 07:46 PM
    TomTom is, IMHO, the most complete iPhone satnav app money can buy, however it is pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Before TomTom I was using CoPilot, which is now very cheap on the App Store. I would recommend it as the best value for money satnav app.
    I completely agree. I too bought CoPilot first because of it's price point. The one thing I didn't like was the routing seemed a little wacky, taking me around the world to get from point A to point B. I haven't tried CoPilot in over a year, so I'm not sure if any of the updates have fix this or not.

I use TomTom at least once a week, of not, more. It's very accurate. The built in Google search great. TomTom also works great without their overpriced car kit too.

Ultimately the decision is up to you. Educate yourself and read everybody's opinion thoroughly before making a purchase. That's unless you got money to burn.
    07-08-2010 10:42 PM
    I love the Google search feature in Tomtom. It's still the top of the line, and frankly for $50, it's reasonable. After all, if you keep GPS drive for 3 years, it will cost you more than Tomtom!
    07-09-2010 12:51 AM
    I can't use a satnav now, that doesn't have Google Search. Garmin XT on my old Nokia used to have it too, was so pleased when I upgraded to the iPhone 3GS (and now 4G) that TomTom supported Google search.

I use the TomTom app at least twice a day, too and from work and anything else inbetween. I paid for the yearly traffic subscription and I know for a fact that, alongside the fantastic IQ Routes feature of TomTom, has saved me hours of time where I would have been stuck in a traffic jam had I not been using TomTom.

Well worth every penny IMHO.
    07-09-2010 05:10 AM
    Thanks to all for posting. I'm putting my $.99 at risk to try GPS Drive. Next would be Navagon or TomTom.
    07-12-2010 02:43 PM
    I'm considering getting Navigon, since it's currently on sale (the central US maps for $17.99 would be all I need 90%, but getting the East maps for $12.99 in app wouldn't be too bad if I needed them).

I noticed no one has mentioned that here though. Is that mainly due to it's normal price? At the current sale price is it a contender?

I just got an iPhone, and had not planned on getting a GPS app yet until I saw the Navigon sale, and don't have too much time to do my normal research...all of which sounds like a bad combo to me...or a perfect opportunity. I can't decide which.
    07-12-2010 03:44 PM
    I use Waze myself, you can't beat the price and I like the social aspect.
    07-12-2010 04:02 PM
    So i'm looking at either the MotionX GPS drive or the mapquest 4 mobile...any opinions on which is better/easier to use. Also, do either of them have any "added" fees, such as subscription or anything?

Thanks for the help
    I've used MapQuest 4 Mobile a couple times and it does a pretty good job. Takes some time to reroute if you skip/miss a turn as it has to download the new route, etc. Not bad for free but I prefer the onboard solutions better.

The new Navigon update has been rather illogical with routing since I installed it (it tried to take me on a 50 route that only required 30 miles and it takes me in the wrong directions at times - south rather than north, east rather than west). I'm going to try deleting and reinstalling to see if that will help.
    07-12-2010 04:36 PM
    Well so far I have just tried the free ones...waze and mapquest 4 mobile. Mapquest is was better than waze IMHO. Waze tried to send me all over the place and the "social" aspect just seemed too gimicky for me. mapquest did take a bit to recalculate a direction, but it always has given me a good fas way to get where i want to go, and as someone so politely pointed out..."C'mon dude, you can't expect everything for free!?"

So for now, until i can justify spending any money on this app...i'm sticking with Mapquest 4 Mobile

P.S. I'll update this if it starts to suck...lol
    07-12-2010 11:34 PM
    GPS Drive is a really nice app and is a steal for 99 cents. My only complaint with it is that it uses the network for loading the maps. I'm often in a rural area without coverage or on EDGE. You can workaround this somewhat by simulating your trip which will download the maps ahead of time.

I just bought Navigon tonight after watching some videos of the new update on YouTube. Since I only drive on the east coast I bought the regional version which was $18. Between the two apps I should be in pretty good shape.
    07-13-2010 10:22 PM
    EDGE works just find with my motionx gps app...I found for the price, its not bad...While driving through Savannah ga looking for best buy, my tomtom (stand alone) got me lost twice, my motionx got me there fast!!
    07-16-2010 11:22 AM
    I'm considering getting Navigon, since it's currently on sale (the central US maps for $17.99 would be all I need 90%, but getting the East maps for $12.99 in app wouldn't be too bad if I needed them).

I noticed no one has mentioned that here though. Is that mainly due to it's normal price? At the current sale price is it a contender?

I just got an iPhone, and had not planned on getting a GPS app yet until I saw the Navigon sale, and don't have too much time to do my normal research...all of which sounds like a bad combo to me...or a perfect opportunity. I can't decide which.
    I got the Navigon app (East Coast MAPS) I was very surprised how fast the app moves. I was expecting lag or something. Its way better than my Garmen Nuvi I spent 270 bones for!!!

I am very pleased with it.
    07-16-2010 09:17 PM
    I was looking at all the GPS apps since the iphone 4 launch. I originally went with the GPS Drive app and was very happy with it. My only concern was with it using the network. Especially now that ATT has a cap. I purchased the Navigon East Coast app when it went on sale and am very happy with it. The app is much faster seeing that the maps are locally stored. I also like the text to speech.
    07-18-2010 07:12 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD