Hi,

Wondering if there's an app which will allow me to play my videos which are not already formatted for mac or iphone (.avi , .wmv, etc), but without having to convert them first. Anybody heard of one?

(Tried to do a search, but having trouble getting past the 'character string recognition' thingy. Sorry)

-K73
    06-29-2010 06:48 AM
    There's one called yxplayer, but I think the iphone version is for JailBroken phones.
    If it's anything like the iPad.app, its not that great.
    The legit iPad version makes videos skip and stutter a lot.
    Will be interesting to try it on the iphone4 when the jailbreak is released for it.
    I'm thinking since the iphone4 is faster, it might not skipped a whole lot.

here's the link to yxplayer Mobilesoft

If you have a jailbroken phone, it's on the BigBoss repository.
    06-29-2010 08:41 AM
    Try Air Video. You need to install a server app on your computer and tell it where the videos are, then open the app and connect to the server. It will convert the video on the fly.

There are two versions for the iPhone, one pay and one free, the free one will only show you 5 random videos in queue, but you can refresh the list to see others:

Air Video

Air Video Free
    06-29-2010 08:55 AM
    Thanks for the great input! I was looking at Air Video last night. It says that it can convert the videos, (say from .avi to .mov), so I would have 2 versions of the files. Then I can load the converted files onto iPhone, iPad or wherever I want. Sounds pretty good. Will give it a shot.

-K73
    06-29-2010 08:46 PM
    Another quick question here. Several of these video conversion apps say they can convert dvd files I already have on my computer too. Just open the Video_TS folder, and be sure to choose H.264 for the encoder. Is Handbrake the best for that?

Just concerned about the Audio not synching up with the video. Is there a better way to play dvd files on the iphone?

Thanks for all the info,
    K73
    06-30-2010 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD