iOS 4 Issues and Bugs

Kuietstorm#IM

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I updated my iPhone 3G 8g and I have not noticed any bugs or issues. For the first couple of minutes after install completed, there was a bit of a lag. However, after that, my phone worked perfectly. Honestly, it's actually faster with texting, opening different apps and surfing the web. With all things considered tho, I'm still picking up my iPhone 4 on Thursday.:)

Jkelly89

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I did. I don't know what's going on. Trying hard reset. That didn't work. Going to try to restore from an old back-up.

UPDATE: I did not restore from an old back-up as, they were too old (The most recent I found was from September 2009). So I called AT&T. They made sure everything in the system was refreshed and sent me a free test MMS. It came through just fine. They asked me to send a picture and a video. They went through as well.

I might have to restore as a new phone to seem if This works. I also had issued with my edge and 3G networks they said I have to get a new SIM card in order to HAndle the new iOS. free of charge

samoilija

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Several small annoyances (3GS)

These are the bugs I've so far discovered with my 3GS (locked, not jailbroken). The update itseld went flawlessly, but this first version of iOS 4 just does not appear mature or stable.

- if you change the timezone, the List View of the Calendar gets corrupted (events show under completely wrong dates), needed to turn sync off and then on again
- the Camera has frozen once, needed to force quit the phone
- the Bluetooth suddenly lost all connections, had to force quit the phone and re-pair everything
- the WiFi is not automatically started after a shut down
- if you scroll to the "next 25" in the AppStore and click on an App, the back-arrow gets you to the beginning of the list, not where you where (this bug existed earlier but was fixed in 3.1.3)
- the phone seems occassionally sluggish, stops to "think" for a couple of seconds

rotchcrocket04

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I have no Internet, 3G and Edge don't work on my 3GS. So, I guess i have to do a fresh restore. Anyway to get all my texts messages back on the phone or are those gone too?

I'm in the same exact boat. Also wondering about the text message thing.

I have wifi only. They said is have to replace my phone if they cannot fix it. I'm so pissed. I'm on the now using wifi and speaking to an apple rep to fix this issue.

If you have no data like myself and smileyboy ^ more than likely a clean restore (possibly from DFU mode) and NOT from a backup, should work for you.

1st restore. I upgraded yesterday from a jailbroken 3.1.3. After the upgrade went smooth, I restored from a backup and half way through it said it couldn't add my 16+gb of music b/c there was only 1.82gb free... but the bar at the bottom showed 25gb free. Don't know what happened there but it failed miserably if I tried to sync again... errors similar to "device full" or "internal error".

2nd restore. Worked fine again and I restored from a different backup. When it tried to sync my Apps it gave an error something along the lines of "Internal device error" and shut off. Fail again.

3rd restore. Everything worked well and restored from a backup just fine... but like stated above from smileyboy - no data... Edge or 3G. Reset network settings multiple times, tried everything I could think of to no avail.

4th restore. Restored from DFU mode this time. Restore worked fine and set up as a new iPhone. Everything worked fantastic - including Edge & 3G. In order to troubleshoot (and b/c I was curious) - I wanted to see if it was truly DFU mode that fixed it or if it was my backup that was corrupt from the start. So I chose to restore from a previous backup and now the phone has no data again. It will work on wifi though.

So. After many hours of frustration I've come to the conclusion that it was most definitely was some sort of corruption in the backup file itself. Possibly due to the jailbreak corrupting the backup somehow?

With that said, I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about "starting over" on a clean restore tonight. I currently do not sync contacts but I'm thinking the easiest would be to sync via Google Sync for contacts and then manually install my apps. The only app that has data that I DO NOT want to lose is 1Password - but I've backed that up (a few times, lol).

What about text messages? I've literally got years of texts from maybe 30 people that I'd prefer to not lose. I'll have to Google a solution for that but if anyone has ideas, please let me know!

I can say, after using 4.0 intermittently, it runs 100% smoother than 3.1.x did on my 3GS. I'm impressed again. If it's running this well on my 3GS I seriously cannot wait to see how the iPhone 4 will handle it. :)

Thanks for reading my rant and please feel free to chime in with any ideas!

kautrey

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Mail App: When clicking on an e-mail attachment with the file extension ".html", the file opens as a text file rather than an HTML file.

The attachment file is a valid HTML document - validated by validator.w3.org.

Clicking/holding on the attachment only offers "Quick Look" and "Cancel" as an option (and Quick Look is the text-only view).

In 3.1.3, clicking on an .html attachment would open the attachment in Safari as a web page.

Send the same attachment file with the extension ".htm" and Mail opens the attachment in Safari.

insidecny

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The same way you remove apps. You hold down any app in the multitask section and they will all start to wiggle. Simply click the - sign over the ones you want to remove.

How do you close a window when you dont want it to multitask?

I heard tap and hold the home button but, not working.

insidecny

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed the same issues. The calendars are not being synced at all the right way. Could be a gmail issue but i doubt the timing of it.

Besides that, I have not noticed too much. I have gone through pretty much every app and tried every new feature. I like it. I have noticed a couple of my games have crashed a few times, but could be resulting in memory issues when having too much running. Will keep testing...

Bugs? Where to start. GMail has a big issue. It doesn't seem to want to sync itself properly with IMAP. I was selling some concert tickets and relied on my phone to get customers. Well, I received a couple, but the actual PC client had more emails than my phone. I missed out on several deals. The iPod app is also funky. I can browse through the catalog looking at what I may want to play and then exit. When I go back in at a later time, it says now playing and something I wasn't even looking at is paused. It doesn't make any sound, so that's good...

golionsgo

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I have had relatively minor issues compared to others:

1. So far only one app doesn't launch (iCup2010); it'll start, but about 3-5s into the load sequence it shuts down. In 3.1.3 it worked fine.

2. One app (Lexeme) has some weird orientation issues (again, not present in 3.1.3). When loaded from portrait mode, the status bar (the thing at top with clock, battery, whatever... not sure of its proper name) appears at the bottom, upside down. Meanwhile, the rest of the app loads normally, complete with a grey space at the top for the status bar. (The bar covers part of the app at the bottom.) Rotating the iPhone and then returning it to portrait resolves this though.

3. iBooks works for me, except that when I load the store I can only see free books from Gutenberg. When I click "Featured" it gives me a "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" error.

Otherwise, it runs smoothly. One other minor change I noticed (a good thing, for me) was that my bluetooth headset now plays my ringtones in the earbud instead of the headset's default tone sequence for an incoming call.

itsyours2

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the same exact boat. Also wondering about the text message thing.

If you have no data like myself and smileyboy ^ more than likely a clean restore (possibly from DFU mode) and NOT from a backup, should work for you.

1st restore. I upgraded yesterday from a jailbroken 3.1.3. After the upgrade went smooth, I restored from a backup and half way through it said it couldn't add my 16+gb of music b/c there was only 1.82gb free... but the bar at the bottom showed 25gb free. Don't know what happened there but it failed miserably if I tried to sync again... errors similar to "device full" or "internal error".

2nd restore. Worked fine again and I restored from a different backup. When it tried to sync my Apps it gave an error something along the lines of "Internal device error" and shut off. Fail again.

3rd restore. Everything worked well and restored from a backup just fine... but like stated above from smileyboy - no data... Edge or 3G. Reset network settings multiple times, tried everything I could think of to no avail.

4th restore. Restored from DFU mode this time. Restore worked fine and set up as a new iPhone. Everything worked fantastic - including Edge & 3G. In order to troubleshoot (and b/c I was curious) - I wanted to see if it was truly DFU mode that fixed it or if it was my backup that was corrupt from the start. So I chose to restore from a previous backup and now the phone has no data again. It will work on wifi though.

So. After many hours of frustration I've come to the conclusion that it was most definitely was some sort of corruption in the backup file itself. Possibly due to the jailbreak corrupting the backup somehow?

With that said, I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about "starting over" on a clean restore tonight. I currently do not sync contacts but I'm thinking the easiest would be to sync via Google Sync for contacts and then manually install my apps. The only app that has data that I DO NOT want to lose is 1Password - but I've backed that up (a few times, lol).

What about text messages? I've literally got years of texts from maybe 30 people that I'd prefer to not lose. I'll have to Google a solution for that but if anyone has ideas, please let me know!

I can say, after using 4.0 intermittently, it runs 100% smoother than 3.1.x did on my 3GS. I'm impressed again. If it's running this well on my 3GS I seriously cannot wait to see how the iPhone 4 will handle it. :)

Thanks for reading my rant and please feel free to chime in with any ideas!
'DFU mode' ?? Please explain!

vapor03

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
I didn't see this in the thread, but my phone is no longer "compatible" with my Sony dock music player/clock radio. I have not yet checked my car stereo.

Anyone else having issues with "music docks"?

anon(4691469)

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
My bugs so far

My bugs so far:
- It won't stream 3gp anymore?! Is anyone else having this issue?
- Ever since I upgraded, I can't do a backup. I did a full restore, and it still doesn't work. I keep getting the message "iTunes could not back up the iPhone 'my Phone' because an error occurred."
- Spent 30 minutes organizing icons into folders in iTunes. Told iTunes to sync, and it sync'ed the apps, but not the folders. Had to start over from scratch. This has happened *twice* so far. :mad:

Overall, I'm happy with it but the bugs are annoying.

Jkelly89

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Update, Mms,3g,edge. Commectivity Issues Resolved.

I don't know how many times each of u may sync your phone but if u do it frequently GREAT! I solved all of my issues by restoring the phone from a much earlier back up. Instead of using your two most recent backups try one from an earlier date when u get to the screen that asks u to restore as new phone or from a back click the down arrow ad select your favorable date. And presto. U should b on your way to a working phone and iOS4 with no issues and also tethering

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
The quantity and scope of these bugs is reminiscent of my days with the original Blackberry Storm that brought me to iPhone in the first place. It seems so "un-apple-like" to kick out an update with this many issues.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711