I had no problems with the OS 4.0 download/update on my 3GS. I was also Jailbroken on OS 3.1.3 and did NOT bother to do anything with that. Everything was RESTORED, i.e. all email accounts, Notes, photos, videos, and every last setting.

I like the fact that there is a character count for texting that you can turn on now.

Hope that helps someone jailbroken and on the fence as to whether or not they should upgrade.
    06-21-2010 05:19 PM
    I no longer have Visual Voicemail. Touching the voicemail tab dials the old-style non-iPhone voicemail.

Reeboot fixed mine last week
    06-21-2010 05:19 PM
    So apparently the "multi-tasking" won't hold your game on pause while checking email or messages. It resets. Bummer.
    06-21-2010 05:37 PM
    To bypass the long backup:

Download the iOS 4.0 from iTunes. Backup the iphone manually. Then shift and click restore instead of update. Browse to username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates and restore from that file. After iTunes has installed the OS...instead of setting up as a new phone just restore from a previous backup. This should not take more then 20 minutes to complete and its much quicker then waiting for the backup using the update option.
    I keep getting stuck on the backup stage as well, even though i backed up my iphone (3g) yesterday. I attempted to do this manually but am unable to locate that file - when doing a computer search i found it easily but i cannot locate the file after shift clicking restore. anyone?
    06-21-2010 05:39 PM
    So apparently the "multi-tasking" won't hold your game on pause while checking email or messages. It resets. Bummer.
    If the developer updates their app to work in saved state, then yes it will work fine. If not, SOL.
    Last edited by ghostface147; 06-21-2010 at 05:49 PM.
    06-21-2010 05:46 PM
    I wonder if the gmail issues are possibly unrelated to iOS4. I am running 3.1.3 on a 3gs and I am having gmail exchange issues where it is not showing all emails that are in the inbox, as well as not moving deleted messages to the trash.
    I plan to update later tonight.
    06-21-2010 05:56 PM
    Just installed iOS 4 and my Yahoo calendar didn't sync appointments using CalDav properly, however in the calendar settings if you change the 'Sync' setting from 'All Events' to 'Events 6 Months Back', it works fine, but stops again if you change it back to 'All Events'.
    06-21-2010 06:06 PM
    Okay, so I was so excited getting home from work today so immediately plugged in to update.
    But I got about 10 minutes into the iPhone update and received the error message "iPhone could not be upgraded. an unknown error occurred (37)". Then I received the message that the iPhone was in recovery mode, and had to be restored before updating. I've now tried that 3 times and am getting "iPhone could not be recovered. an unknown error occurred (37)".

Boo.
    06-21-2010 06:19 PM
    Took nearly 3 hours to complete my 16GB 3G update, but everything seems to be working fine now that it's done. My advice is to be patient. Took about 15 minutes for the download, then 1 hr 20 mins for the backup (progress bar only showed 1/8 complete for nearly the entire time); 15-20 mins to install iOS4, then the remaining time to restore all of my apps, music files, etc. The only issue that I know of is that my icons were re-arranged, so I had to move them back into position. All else is working fine, so far.
    06-21-2010 06:25 PM
    Hmm it is just SO great! None of my apps transferred over and I now have 2.48GB labeled "other" that I cannot access for storage. Magical!

Update:
    After moving all of my apps back over to my device manually they have been synced. The "other" partition has also decreased on it's own, I'd say that's definitely a bug worth looking into. I almost had a heart attack. Other than that the update is looking fairly clean, definitely better than the GM, even though they are apparently the same. On another note, iBooks seems a bit laggy on the iPod touch 2g, most likely a hardware restraint.
    Updating my sons 3G and have the same issue - big orange blob of Other.
    Am resyncing to see if this solves the "Other" issue.

Note - just finished resync - apps look normal now. WIll post additional bugs as I find them.

Total time for update plus resync: 1 hour 10 minutes.
    06-21-2010 06:26 PM
    heres my story. so today they released iOS4 (obviously) but ive had the GM seed for a while as im a dev. Ever since ive had the GM my mail for mobile me has been getting stuck in the cloud. my phone will ding and show a badge for new mail, but it wont push down from the cloud. also, after reading mail it still shows up as an unread message about 30 percent of the time. sooooo...heres what i did.

i called apple and tried to get some help. usually when calling apple, the people are very nice and try to help you any way they can. Well this guy was a complete tool. he has no desire to listen to what i was saying. apparently the day they release a new OS they dont want to hear about the bugs it has. this made me angry. they wanted to charge me 30$ for troubleshooting help. i told him to go **** himself.

thats my story, have any of you had problems like this?

ive got a 16gig iPhone 3GS.

(iPhone 4 on thursday. woot!)
    06-21-2010 06:30 PM
    decided to just let it sit and now it's moving! up to verifying iphone software. i dont know if it's because i deleted alll of my images or not.
    06-21-2010 06:37 PM
    I have a 3g and I can't change the wallpaper on any of the screens beside what I could do before.
    06-21-2010 06:47 PM
    decided to just let it sit and now it's moving! up to verifying iphone software. i dont know if it's because i deleted alll of my images or not.
    I found with some devices the volume of info on it really has a bad affect - if you minimize it things go smoother.

Likely something in the backup software Apple provides - size or file number limitations...
    06-21-2010 06:48 PM
    I have a 3rd Gen 8 GB touch. When I first downloaded iOS 4, it was super slow on my iPod. The slide to unlock slider took 15 seconds to unlock the iPod. Scrolling through the home screen took forever. It wouldn't even let me make folders in less than 30 seconds. But then, it started getting loads faster. Now it's even faster than it was before the update. However, when the iPod is locked, the screen no longer lights up for me to slide to unlock unless I press the home button. Pressing the power button no longer works for that function. I don't know if that's intended or not, but it kind of makes me mad. After almost a year of pressing the power button, I'll press it up to three times before remembering that the new OS no longer allows me to do that, and then I'll have to press the home button. But iBooks is kind of laggy.
    06-21-2010 06:50 PM
    For some reason, after updating to iOS 4, I can't connect to the server for my email. My inbox is now blank, and I can't figure out how to connect. I tried re-entering my password, but no luck. Is there a trick to this?
    06-21-2010 06:57 PM
    How do you close a window when you dont want it to multitask?

I heard tap and hold the home button but, not working.
    06-21-2010 06:58 PM
    Couldn't load one of my games to play (High Noon). I then noticed that every other app that i loaded so far since the update is in the multitasking bar! This bogged down my phone tremendously.

When I finally figured out how to shut those apps down in the multitasking bar High Noon loaded up right away.

Seems like a very buggy OS, not like apple's usual work. Any suggestions? Is everything supposed to be optimized for iPhone 4 and it's A4 chip?
    06-21-2010 06:58 PM
    How do you close a window when you dont want it to multitask?

I heard tap and hold the home button but, not working.
    While the multitasking is open, hold an app like you were going to move it until it wiggles. Then a red minus sign appears
    06-21-2010 07:00 PM
    Well as of right now iheart radio refuses to run in the background. Hopefully they fix that... Like now...
    06-21-2010 07:01 PM
    I'm having an issue with my service after updating my edge and 3G do not work I can't search anything or even use Internet only text and call work. Only after I use wi-fi can I do everything can anyone help?

I had the same problem. Talked to AT&T who hooked me up with Apple. Apple said to do a restore (from inside iTunes). So I sync'd and then did a restore. 3G worked after that. I am in the process of restoring from my last backup.
    06-21-2010 07:05 PM
    Okay - ran the update for my daughters iTouch.
    Took about 25 minutes to go through everything then I get "an unknown error has occured (-18)".

So unhooked, rehooked, redid the update and so far all looks good.
    It took 15 minutes this time. I'll post any bugs she runs across.
    06-21-2010 07:06 PM
    I lost all my contacts.
    06-21-2010 07:16 PM
    I had the same problem. Talked to AT&T who hooked me up with Apple. Apple said to do a restore (from inside iTunes). So I sync'd and then did a restore. 3G worked after that. I am in the process of restoring from my last backup.
    I tried restoring from my last backup. Didn't fix the issue w/ no data, no edge, no 3g.....
    06-21-2010 07:17 PM
    I was able to sync my 3GS with very little issue, my husband has tried numerous times to sync his 3G and it won't do anything. He isn't very patient, so we may try again this evening. Or he may just wait until he gets his iPhone 4 to mess with the new os.
    06-21-2010 07:21 PM
404 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD