iPhone to Droid free messenger?!

CoryJP

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
I could really use your guys help. Im traveling to italy on thursday for a month and want to know if there is an App that I can text to friends back home in the US for free. I know Pingchat is iphone to iphone but is there a iphone to droid also?

CoryJP

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
well I think yahoo messenger uses data. I dont want to use any data while my phone is roaming in Europe

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Nothing that I know of yet. WhatsApp is available for BB users now and they are working on a Symbian and Android app but they are not out yet.:(

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You don't want to use data while you're roaming...what do you want to use? Either you can send text messages, or you can use an app that requires data. If you're roaming in Europe, sending text messages will cost triple what you're paying now. You might want to rethink your whole plan.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Textie is worth a look...free w/ads, use it over wifi for free, unlimited texting. My fiancee is planning an Italy trip for work and we're planning on using that and Skype to stay in touch.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
But WiFi is data and the OP doesn't want to use data. (Everything else suggested was also free over WiFi.)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
well I think yahoo messenger uses data. I dont want to use any data while my phone is roaming in Europe

This is what the dude said. Now I use Yahoo on WiFi as often as cellular data. Makes no difference to me. But he says "any data." I still think he just doesn't understand what he wants.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
im guessing you loved italy? haha

Not to hijack the thread, but yes! Italy is everything you think it is. I've been to Naples numerous times, Sorrento, and Trieste numerous times. Simply beautiful country, and OMFG the food, man, the FOOD!!!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
This is what the dude said. Now I use Yahoo on WiFi as often as cellular data. Makes no difference to me. But he says "any data." I still think he just doesn't understand what he wants.

Could be; I'm just guessing that when he says "any data" he means data he has to pay for--maybe he doesn't know about Yahoo over wifi, since you didn't specify, so it could make a difference to him. When you suggested Yahoo, he mentioned data roaming, which makes me think he's looking for a wifi solution.

I'm not entirely clear on this, either:
...you can send text messages, or you can use an app that requires data. If you're roaming in Europe, sending text messages will cost triple what you're paying now. You might want to rethink your whole plan.

Maybe I'm just being dense...I'm almost certain, though, that he's talking about data that he's being charged for, and not WiFi data. It's all data, right? Just a question of what he's getting hit with for charges. So let's give him texting solutions that don't require paying for data. To me, that first sentence should really be:
"..you can send text messages, or you can use an app that does the same thing but sends the messages for free over WiFi."

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods