Gowalla vs. Foursquare

Do you like Gowalla or Foursquare better and why?

• Gowalla

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Foursquare

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spidermanroach

Dec 27, 2008
Visit site
Both of these apps are starting to get very hot. Just wanted to know why you like one or the other. I find you can get real prizes in Foursquare, but don't know too much about Gowalla.

dok

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
i prefer foursquare over gowalla, but have noticed i use it less and less as time goes on.

seems alot of people just checkin anywhere they are close to just to do it...almost like a popularity contest. i got over that in high school. smh.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I am still using Gowalla mostly but like most I forget to check-in most of the time. Of course most of the time I am talking on the phone when I am out and I am too busy to remember!:p:eek:

Jaedde

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Both of those are so popular. I just don't understand the concept. What does it get you when you check in at these different places? I don't understand.

spidermanroach

Dec 27, 2008
Visit site
Both of those are so popular. I just don't understand the concept. What does it get you when you check in at these different places? I don't understand.

You can get actual prizes. I have a place that if I have 20 check-ins as Mayor I receive a T-shirt. I have read other people getting dinners and free desserts.

Can't tell ya where, but they are out there. Just something fun to do to see where your friends are.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I primarily use Gowalla. I like the fact that it's not a contest because then I don't feel like a loser for never winning :p

However! I use Foursquare for ONE place... the single place I'm a mayor of. It's a coffee shop down the street from my office :)

Guzman

Mar 18, 2010
www.GuzmanWebsites.com
I am also always forgetting to check in places. I like Foursquare because of its ease of use but really... a contest about how many places I go to? Kind of boring. Now if I were 20 and back in college and in to the whole getting drunk scene, then sure. It would be fun to see who can bar-hop the most. God knows, the more badges you have and the more mayorships, the better your life will turn out in the future ::jab::

I just downloaded Gowalla, basically because of Chad. So far i'm liking it. I have it on both the iPad and iPhone and have not checked in a single place yet because it does have a learning curve I think. I agree with llofte about the feeling like a loser, but yet... she beat me bad at Words with Friends so not sure why she is using the "loser-card" lol

Last edited:

peanutgallery

Apr 4, 2010
www.thepeanutgallery.net
Currently I don't use either of these, however if I were to use one I think it would be Gowalla. I'm looking at their trips now and it seems like a novel way to explore new areas. It looks like as of right now the trips are limited but I think as the network grows they will hopefully expand this area.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I primarily use Gowalla. I like the fact that it's not a contest because then I don't feel like a loser for never winning :p

I never thought of it that way. But you're right, I really don't need to be in a competition (Earn badges! Win free stuff by visiting the same pace 87 times in a week!) about my very limited travels. I suppose if I was a free wheelin' bachelor whose life revolved around how many bars, pickup places, etc. I could go to in a day, then my mindset might be different. I'll have to look into this Gowalla thing.

Jaedde

May 11, 2010
Visit site
You can get actual prizes. I have a place that if I have 20 check-ins as Mayor I receive a T-shirt. I have read other people getting dinners and free desserts.

Can't tell ya where, but they are out there. Just something fun to do to see where your friends are.

I see. Interesting. I'll have to get Foursquare. I haven't seen the Gowalla interface. I'm all about the visuals. Which one has the best UI?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234