I am responsible for sending last minute updates for a Boy Scout troop I volunteer at, and I'm trying to figure out an easy way to send a single message via text message to 30 different cell phones (I don't want to do emails via a distribution list as only 30% of the parents have email capable phones).

Is there "an app for that", or is there some other method I can use with the default message app on the IPhone to make my job easier?

We basically use it to advise parents as to updated arrival times from trips, or cancellations due to inclement weather, so I need something I can do from the IPhone on the fly, and not from a PC.

Thanks for any help you may provide.....

B.
    02-26-2010 11:38 AM
    At present you're creating a new SMS message, and adding the respective people to that SMS message, no?

Maybe an alternative would be to add\install an app that allows groups in contacts. Create a group and then when creating the SMS message, use said group...
    02-26-2010 12:09 PM
    I am responsible for sending last minute updates for a Boy Scout troop I volunteer at, and I'm trying to figure out an easy way to send a single message via text message to 30 different cell phones (I don't want to do emails via a distribution list as only 30% of the parents have email capable phones).

Is there "an app for that", or is there some other method I can use with the default message app on the IPhone to make my job easier?

We basically use it to advise parents as to updated arrival times from trips, or cancellations due to inclement weather, so I need something I can do from the IPhone on the fly, and not from a PC.

Thanks for any help you may provide.....

B.
    I would consider bypassing the issue entirely.

The troop I was with with uses a mix of a phone dialer service and email list.

This benefit is you record your message that can be longer than any text message and it can go to numbers that aren't cell phones such as a landline.
    02-26-2010 12:16 PM
    At present you're creating a new SMS message, and adding the respective people to that SMS message, no?

Maybe an alternative would be to add\install an app that allows groups in contacts. Create a group and then when creating the SMS message, use said group...
    That's what I would like to do, but I don't see any way of creating a group. The IPhone ignored my distribution lists when migrating my contacts from Outlook, so I'm assuming they are unsupported in the core applications that come standard with the phone.

I guess I am looking then for an app that will let me create groups. Anyone know a good one?
    02-26-2010 01:56 PM
    I would consider bypassing the issue entirely.

The troop I was with with uses a mix of a phone dialer service and email list.

This benefit is you record your message that can be longer than any text message and it can go to numbers that aren't cell phones such as a landline.
    I'm not looking to use such a service as it would take too long, I'm sure.

I'm basically looking for a way to send blast text messages. I can't believe that there is no way to do this, as my son's high school has a way to do it via PC as they tell us when there are delayed openings or cancellations due to weather.
    02-26-2010 01:58 PM
    Looks like there is an app, called 'Groups'. Albeit it's $4.99, I'd wait for others to respond before purchasing, etc, etc, since one can't get a refund...
    02-26-2010 02:07 PM
    Groups only works for sending out mass emails to groups. Close, but I need one that sends Mass SMS texts as 70% of the folks don't have email capability on their phones, but 90% can get text messages.
    02-26-2010 02:16 PM
    02-26-2010 02:53 PM
    Hmmm. Kind of a backwards way to do it, but it might work.

I'd prefer a more elegant solution, but this might do as a fallback scenario. Have I hit on something that AT&T or Apple frowns upon for some reason? I thought something that would quickly drive up the number of text messages would be embraced as only the unlimited users get away from any extra charges.
    02-26-2010 03:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD