So I am fixing to take the family on a road trip from Phoenix AZ to Iowa. So I am in need of a good GPS app.

I have a Garmin GPS unit that I bought back in 2008, but its in need of an updated map, which costs about 70 bucks. So I am trying to figure out, do I shell out the 70 to update my GPS, or get a Navigation App on the iPhone that might be just as good, if not better, cheaper? And if so, what Apps are the best?
    02-26-2010 12:09 AM
    There are several threads on navigation apps, and several good in-depth reviews of the various apps as well. Consensus always seems to be TomTom is still the reigning king, with Navigon coming in close behind.
    02-26-2010 06:49 AM
    Get the new maps for the car GPS unit. It works out better.
    02-26-2010 08:24 AM
    I have the Navigon GPS App and I can say that its just as good (if not better) than my stand alone Garmin. Its AWESOME.
    02-26-2010 02:55 PM
    navigon rocks
    02-26-2010 03:56 PM
    I have used GPS MotionX, it works well and its not 50 or so dollars I would have an auto plug though it really uses the battery up fast!

KC
    02-26-2010 04:35 PM
    From what I've seen ignore the basic features of the specific app and the interfaces are all equally decent for the screen size. they all do gps very well.

In my opinion all the basics will eventually appear. i.e. They'll all do traffic at some point and this isn't a reason unless you need that feature today.

look at the extras across their entire model line and figure out what each brand does well that the other doesn't and choose from that. does one company do POIs of the type you would use the best? Does tom tom have a feature that navivigon doesn't that you like? Choose that way
    02-26-2010 05:29 PM
    The Magellan Roadmate is currently on sale. Its easy to use and reliable. It will also be getting quarterly map update. Its currently ranked by Apple as Staff Favorite.
    03-01-2010 01:50 PM
    hate the cost tho
    03-03-2010 11:33 AM
    hate the cost tho
    a standalone one costs more...
    03-03-2010 11:50 AM
    So I am fixing to take the family on a road trip from Phoenix AZ to Iowa. So I am in need of a good GPS app.

I have a Garmin GPS unit that I bought back in 2008, but its in need of an updated map, which costs about 70 bucks. So I am trying to figure out, do I shell out the 70 to update my GPS, or get a Navigation App on the iPhone that might be just as good, if not better, cheaper? And if so, what Apps are the best?
    2008 I wouldn't ever bother updating the maps. I 'm sure the intersates and such are the same. Honestly besides business' and new subdivisions what are you really paying for?

FYI I got my update from a torrent
    03-04-2010 11:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD