Is there an app that emulates the Graffiti on-screen handwriting program used by the old Palm and Windows Mobile devices use?
    02-17-2010 11:23 PM
    Hey ArGiEs!! Guess who from BH!!

I have not found one yet. There are several nice Handwriting Note apps out there but I have not found one that puts it into text yet. You may look at Use My Handwriting. Not what you want but you might like it.

An alternative may also be Dragon Diction. It is speech to text. It works VERY well!! Just speak and then send the text to ToDo, Note, Email, SMS, etc. Very Nice!
    02-18-2010 08:44 AM
    Hello, Brickman - not overly surprised you're here. Thanks for your info. A Touch coming into my hand in a couple months, so all the info that I can get ahead of time is appreciated. I'll be popping in here more in the future.
    02-18-2010 09:01 AM
    I saw a study that said that graffiti is 5x slower than the iphone keyboard

also, you might want to be specific. palm and windows mobile used different systems
    02-18-2010 01:55 PM
    I saw a study that said that graffiti is 5x slower than the iphone keyboard
    FWIW, I've been a Graffiti user for about 8 years; it's not speed I'm after, it's the convenience of entering one or a few characters without bringing up a virtual keyboard.

also, you might want to be specific. palm and windows mobile used different systems
    Could be; but, again, it's the covenience of the system I'm after. But, who knows? Perhaps iPhone's keyboard may be so handy & convenient I may not care.
    Last edited by ArGiEs; 02-19-2010 at 12:52 AM.
    02-19-2010 12:49 AM
    Could be; but, again, it's the covenience of the system I'm after. But, who knows? Perhaps iPhone's keyboard may be so handy & convenient I may not care.
    I think this is what you will find ArGiEs. What sold me on keyboard data entry was my 700P. I used graffiti on my T5 and it was fine but once I got the hang of the keyboard I don not think I ever pulled the stylus out of my 700P or 755P again.

You may look at using one of the finger writing apps for quick symbol type notes, (numbers, drawings, characters) but use a keyboard app, may I recommend AwesomeNotes , for normal text note talking.

Just a thought.
    02-19-2010 08:35 AM
    While we're on the subject of writing, is there an equivalent of Electric Pocket's Bug Me!+? I'm a heavy duty user of the feature where I make a screen capture and create an alarm out of it.
    02-19-2010 09:02 AM
    While we're on the subject of writing, is there an equivalent of Electric Pocket's Bug Me!+? I'm a heavy duty user of the feature where I make a screen capture and create an alarm out of it.
    AwesomeNotes will do that. You can turn a note into a todo or set a badge notification for a specific Date/Time. No I sound notification though. Others may have a sound notification though.

Many of the standard todo apps will do this also. (2Do, Appigo's ToDo, Things, etc.) The todo apps will have a sound notification as well as a badge notification.
    02-19-2010 09:17 AM
    FWIW, I've been a Graffiti user for about 8 years; it's not speed I'm after, it's the convenience of entering one or a few characters without bringing up a virtual keyboard.
    in such a situation you'll always have to close your original app, open the grafitti app to make your text and then you will have to put away the stylus to copy-paste the text, close the grafitti app, load the original app for text entry into the original app every single time you want to use it. it will be much less convenient very quickly. we're not talking less speed, we're talking more like 10x+ longer per letter than just using the keyboard because of the time to switch apps

I think you'll also find that the actual systems will not be possible in an app anyways. I believe both are patented.
    Last edited by flyingember; 02-19-2010 at 04:50 PM.
    02-19-2010 04:46 PM
    in such a situation you'll always have to close your original app, open the grafitti app to make your text and then you will have to put away the stylus to copy-paste the text, close the grafitti app, load the original app for text entry into the original app every single time you want to use it. it will be much less convenient very quickly. we're not talking less speed, we're talking more like 10x+ longer per letter than just using the keyboard because of the time to switch apps

I think you'll also find that the actual systems will not be possible in an app anyways. I believe both are patented.
    Are you referring to a hypothetical Graffiti app in iPhone? In Palm, the Graffiti is always enabled (unless I disable it); also, typically I use my fingernail instead of the stylus.

Also, this is why I'm asking if there is an equivelant app (one that works the same) in iPhone as in Palm. I've heard of limitations in entering text in this OS. But, it's not that big of a deal if it doesn't exist.
    Last edited by ArGiEs; 02-19-2010 at 11:11 PM.
    02-19-2010 11:07 PM
    I think this is what you will find ArGiEs. What sold me on keyboard data entry was my 700P. I used graffiti on my T5 and it was fine but once I got the hang of the keyboard I don not think I ever pulled the stylus out of my 700P or 755P again.
    Yeah...I found that to true once I got my Blackberry - Very fast. I saw that comparison I believe flyingmember referred to which shows text entry speeds of various systems, and the iPhone keyboard is just behind a full-sized keyboard.
    02-19-2010 11:17 PM
    AwesomeNotes will do that. You can turn a note into a todo or set a badge notification for a specific Date/Time. No I sound notification though. Others may have a sound notification though.

Many of the standard todo apps will do this also. (2Do, Appigo's ToDo, Things, etc.) The todo apps will have a sound notification as well as a badge notification.
    Actually , what I have in mind is the feature which takes a screen capture of whatever is currently on the screen (I use customer records frequently) & make it an alarm to remind me to call that customer at a certain time. But, again, if it's not in existence, no big deal.
    02-19-2010 11:25 PM
    Actually , what I have in mind is the feature which takes a screen capture of whatever is currently on the screen (I use customer records frequently) & make it an alarm to remind me to call that customer at a certain time. But, again, if it's not in existence, no big deal.
    You can do this. Just take a screen shot (Home button + Power button). That pics goes into your Picture Library. Then, hate to sound like an Infomercial, but both AwesomeNote and 2Do will do this. Both will allow you to paste a picture into a Todo or Note, then you can set a date and time alarm in each. I am sure other Note and Todo apps will do this also.

AwesomeNote only uses badges but 2Do will use badges, audible alarms, and a message alarm. Not exactly sure what that is but I am testing it out this AM. I will let you know.

EDIT: The Message Alarm is the same visual message alert that you get when you receive an SMS, etc.
    Last edited by Brickman; 02-20-2010 at 09:01 AM.
    02-20-2010 08:39 AM
    Thanks! I googled Awsomenotes last night and looked it over. Added it to my list of "To Get" apps for the iPod Touch.

A little off subject, but after reading the news about MS Windows Phone 7, it reminded me a little of what Palm did to the Palm aps with webOS. I had originally decided to port over to WM, but it almost looks like I could have been in the same position that I'm in now in a short period of time. The iPod Touch is looking like a good decision more and more.
    02-20-2010 12:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD