Peekaboo Wild, by Night and Day Studios
$1.99, ****

Pros:

• Fun for kids
  • Learn the names of animals

Cons:
  • Limited learning options
  • ?baby? voice gets annoying to parents

In the interest of full disclosure, I received a promo code for this app.

Peek a boo Wild is another app by Night and Day Studios. It is aimed at young kids and preschoolers, showing them some of the ?wild? African animals that are hidden behind the grass (thus?peek a boo, get it!). The app is fairly straight forward ? the child taps on the moving grassland, an animal appears, an a voice tells you the animal name as the name appears on the screen. At the end of the app, all the animals are together (and then they fall asleep).

For young kids, this is really all they are looking for ? it?s fun to hear the animals, and they get to learn the animal names. My niece loved to see the animals, and was giggling over and over with them (even after she had done it for the fourth time!). For kids that are a little older, however (Kindergarten or above?maybe even pre-K), the game is a little boring. This is where I wish there were more options to the game.

I would love to see the ability to have the child correctly identify the word for the animal (helps with reading), guess the animal from the sound (logic), or some other options to make the game more accessible for older children. Right now you can control the voice (on or off), animal sound (on or off) and things like language or looped play. Language is cool, because you can learn the Spanish names for the animals, but I would like to see further options to allow for more learning at an older age.

All in all, this is a fun app, nicely designed, and enjoyable to pre-school children (and maybe even kindergarten age children). However, for slightly older children, the app doesn?t offer any advanced features to encourage reading or anything like that. If you have a preschool child (whom you trust with your iPhone) they would probably love the app, and at $1.99 it would be worth it to get it for them. But for older children I would hold off. Four out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2