Tom Tom or Magellan?

iEattehberry

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
I am considering buying one or the other, but I was wondering if there was anyone on the forums that have used both of the apps and could give me some feedback? One feature I am really consider about is the re-routing. As far as I can tell, the Magellan app doesn't do that good of a job due to the fact that it doesn't list something similar to TomTom's "IQ Routes", meaning that it takes into consideration: time of day, mileage, traffic, and speed when it calculates a route. I could be wrong, I'm just making an assumption based on what I have read on iTunes, and the manufacturer's websites. Thank you in advance for reading, I hope there's someone out there that's tried both that can offer me some good advice! Thanks again, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!:)

ShaneXman

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I've never used the TomTom app, but I do own the Magellan app, and can clarify your point regarding the "rerouting". I have been using this app since Thanksgiving, and I have never had a problem with rerouting. If I happen to make an incorrect turn, or I just want to take a different route, the Magellan app modifies my route almost instantaneously and has never caused me any problems.

I don't know if this is the answer you were looking for, but hopefully it helps a little bit. :)

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I got the Tom Tom app but have not used Magellan. I've also got CoPilot Live....good app at a good price but the routing is whacked!

Much like what ShaneXman had to say about Magellan, if I make a wrong turn or want to take a different route, Tom Tom adjusts and re-routes automatically and in a snap.

The lane assist feature is also nice when you have more than one exit ramp. It's also fairly easy to adjust a route if you want to avoid a certain road. Landscape and portrait mode are a plus too.

Right now I'm using the app without the car kit. I've had Tom Tom since the beginning of November '09 and the app hasn't pointed me in a wrong direction yet.

Just my .02 :D

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
TomTom is the top grossing app in the app Store. That suggests a market decision. As a TomTom user, I can say that you will not be disappointed if you choose it.

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
I like Navigon the most. I've used Navigon, TomTom, and CoPilot. Navigon is heads and shoulders above TomTom and CoPilot is not even in the same league as the others (it is terrible)

DainBramage1

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I've also got Navigon, but as far as I know, the iPhone version doesn't have traffic avoidance yet (on their handheld version, it is available as a paid option). It's a nice app that has already been improved in some great ways, and I'm looking forward to greater future improvements! I also heard that it's currently on sale in the App Store for $59.99?

canamera

May 23, 2009
Visit site
TomTom is the top grossing app in the app Store. That suggests a market decision. As a TomTom user, I can say that you will not be disappointed if you choose it.

The last time I checked Navigon was the top grossing app...Sorry if I'm wrong, though.

With that said... after reading all the reviews on GPS apps, I couldn't pick anything but Navigon, and I've never regretted it yet.

techse7en

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Ok have you heard of Navmii or the G-Fi? Navmii for UK and Ireland is one of the best GPS apps around, it works very fast because maps are stored on the device. It is a beautiful UI too The G-Fi is a very small GPS reciever/router that enables GPS on iPod touches and 1st gen iPhone and works with Navmii and other apps. I recommend the G-Fi over the other car kits. If the G-Fi is in your glovebox, your iPod will connect to it when you get in the car automatically, no wires, no harnesses, no junk.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2