lowridinguy

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
I have the TomTom app and its okay. It does the job. There is no TTS (text-to-speech) and no lane assist like the Navigon and Magellan Roadmate. The POI's seem more up-to-date than the Navigon and Magellan at least in my area. ON, Canada which is nice. No built in iPod support either. Overall it is a good program, just lacks some features but like I said the POI's are great and very current.

iEattehberry

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
I have the TomTom app and its okay. It does the job. There is no TTS (text-to-speech) and no lane assist like the Navigon and Magellan Roadmate. The POI's seem more up-to-date than the Navigon and Magellan at least in my area. ON, Canada which is nice. No built in iPod support either. Overall it is a good program, just lacks some features but like I said the POI's are great and very current.

Are you sure you have the up to date tomtom app? On their website, and on iTunes, it says it has text-to-speech and lane assist, and it says it offers iPod support.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site

Lane assist works great as does text to speech. I lost the latter until I figured out how to turn the volume up. (tap on the bottom bar)

and I haven't used it but I've seen the ipod interface myself.

are you on 1.2?

The few times I've used it I was happy with the results. It has my parents house off by 6 houses which changes a specific turn to make and gets off slightly if the phone doesn't have a clear view in weird areas or with quick turns but it's timing is nearly perfect and the speed limit check is within 1-2 mph.

Last edited:

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I heard that this version of the app is "watered down" compared to the one with the Canada maps. Can anybody confirm this??

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
define watered down. have you compared the features in the two app descriptions?

and where did you hear this?

I got this info from one of the user reviews in the AppStore. Quoting from the review,

"The USA version has a watered down POI database and the map areas I looked at contain less info than the full version of Tomtom US & Canada."

I wasn't sure how accurate all this was, so I thought I'd come here and ask you guys.

DRLyman

Jan 20, 2009
www.LymanPhoto.com
US and Canada version now $69

I got this info from one of the user reviews in the AppStore. Quoting from the review,

"The USA version has a watered down POI database and the map areas I looked at contain less info than the full version of Tomtom US & Canada."

I wasn't sure how accurate all this was, so I thought I'd come here and ask you guys.

TomTom has just cut the price of the US and Canada version to $69 through December 28th...

eprisencc

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I had the chance to test both Navigon and TomTom and I must say that the latest version of TomTom is head and shoulders better than Navigon. The GPS lock is quicker. It provides more useful on screen information like what street you are currently on in addition to your next turn (Navigon only shows your next turn) and it also shows the current speed limit (Navigon only notifies you if you exceed it).

The only benefit of Navigon I see so far is the nice looking 3d illustration of freeway exit ramps and the voice with street names is a bit clearer and louder than Tomtom. Otherwise its Tomtom all the way.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I love Navigon, and will always encourage others to get it. With version 1.4 dropping soon and incorporating google poi database/search it will make the POI's that of the level of google so I will be set. Lane assist is great, and the maps never failed me. Never get issues with GPS lock either.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
There is text-to-speech. Does some funny things but it is there. "Tp NY City" is spoken as "To north Y City" and "Whitestone Br" ia spoken as "Winestone branch." These are more amusing than distracting.

Also has lane assist, Not quite as good as the AT&T Navigator but it is there and works. I find it very helpful, particularly in large cities.

Both of these features came in rel. 1.3.

Last edited:

eprisencc

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Also you only get TTS in TomTom if you select the computer voice. All the other voices will not announce street names and places.

BDV1973

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
I have had Tom Tom for about 3 weeks now and I finnaly got a chance to use it this past weekend. I Love it. I did find out that you need to have it in a car kit for it to work properly. I do not have the Tom Tom car kit (just to expensive for a car kit). I have the Seidio Innotraveler Car Kit. If you go to the App store you can see my review. It is fairly lengthy but I tried to be as descriptive as posible with my Pros and Cons.

lowridinguy

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Please disregard my above post. I was on an earlier version of TomTom. Next time I will do more research before I post. Don't I look stupid! :) Time to load 1.3.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I have said it before in other places, I will repeat it here, and I am glad to finally be able to say it. Rel. 1.2 of TomTom for iPhone with the car kit is excellent and, at the street price for the car kit, an excellent value.

While the software price seems high for an iPhone app, it is much less than I paid for the TomTom for Treo.

Those who think that the car kit is "too expensive for a car kit" do not appreciate the function and have not compared the street price of the car kit to similar function. While there are other BT hands-free units for a similar price, there are none with GPS, iPhone charging, and iPhone holding and presentation,quality and integration.

This is a quality product. If TomTom had delivered it on a more timely basis and with the right promotion, there would be nothing else in the market.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
it's good that there are so many names out there right now. No one can skimp on the advanced features since you can get the basics for less (or free).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW