Battle Shock, by LunaSea Games.
    $2.99, ****

Pros:

• Fun Castle Defense game
    • Flick power bolts at your enemies

Cons:
    • Difficult sometimes to aim the flicks
    • Limited upgrade options

Battle Shock is a castle defense game defend your castle against invading hordes. However, with Battle Shock you play an active roll in the defense, by flicking bolts at your enemies on the iPhone screen.

In this game, you play a wizard that can attack your enemies with bolts of energy. By using different flicking motions, and aiming at the enemies, you can actively participate in the defense of your castle (along with whatever modifications you have included, such as archer. If you get enough money, you can place archers are various locations, upgrade you magic ability, and rebuild your castle. You can also use gesture to create things like shockwaves which will do more damage. Everytime you blast an enemy, you energy decreased a little bit as well, so you need to make sure to conserve yourself to defeat them all!

The game play itself it fun, because you are flicking all over the screen to attack your enemies. But look out unlike a flat game board, if an enemy is hiding behind something like a rock or tree, they are protected from the energy bolt! Of course, this is easily fixed by blasting them from behind, which brings me to my first complaint of the game. The energy bolts suddenly appear where ever you finger is you arent limited to attacking them from the front. If you are a wizard in the castle, why not make all bolts of energy originate from the castle?

The other main complaint I had was with the aiming of the bolts. While it is fun to blast the enemy (and the speed of the flick influences the speed of the bolt a nice touch) at times I felt it was very difficult to aim at the enemies.

The upgrade options seem a little limited. You can buy archers for the towers, and you can upgrade them, but there are no other unit types you can get. You can upgrade your magic as well, but it would be nice to see some different kinds of magic (slowing enemies down, for example) to employ. However, this is still an engrossing game, and you may find yourself needing a finger massage after you try to flick your enemies to death!

There are three play modes classic, relentless, and 10K. In addition, there are three difficulty levels (easy, medium, and hard) so there should be plenty of fun for everyone.

All in all, this is a fun take on the castle defense games. I like the option of flicking spells, but I wish there was a little more variety in the upgrade types. The game is still enjoyable, however, and could provide some entertainment (although you may get strange looks like I did as I was continually flicking on my iPhone). At $2.99, the price isnt bad, and there is a free version to try out as well. Four out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
    ** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
    *** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
    **** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
    ***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.
    11-28-2009 06:47 PM
    This game seems nice. Do you have the promotion code?
    11-30-2009 01:16 AM
    Ummm...I am not sure why I would have a promo code. I review apps.

If you want the game (and it is fun), I say just pay the $2.99.
    Last edited by cjvitek; 11-30-2009 at 09:01 AM.
    11-30-2009 08:58 AM
    hmm i am not sure about this game..
    12-19-2009 01:41 PM
    From the first look it actually reminds Warcraft 2 a bit... And still needs some polish here and there, but overall a nice game
    12-30-2009 03:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD