Magellan Roadmate Gps App!

I_NEED_HELP

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys/gals, there wasnt anything posting on this so I was wondering if anyone bought this app yet? Looks pretty good to me, but any advice/recommedations would help!

more info is on their site

deadly_shuriken

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi Maggie,

What would you say are the better features of the Magellan app when compared with Navigon or TomTom?

Also, do you know when the car kit will be available? If so, how much will it cost?

Thanks,

I_NEED_HELP

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi Maggie,

What would you say are the better features of the Magellan app when compared with Navigon or TomTom?

Also, do you know when the car kit will be available? If so, how much will it cost?

Thanks,

ok i just bought the app, and its frigging AWESOME! will write my first review later on it! =)

MGTrader

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Got Magellan a few days ago. Also have Navigon and Motion X.

I really like Magellan. Realy clean Gui. Easy to read street addresses and upcoming turns and such.

Search function is much preferred over Navigon as you can search for a business by name. (can't on Navigon - you have to go to category first which totally sucks). Also Poi's seem better than Navigon - though not as good motion x.

I don't like the Magellan keyboard. I hope they change it.

Also the Magellan pauses iPod when instructions come on which is great for audio books and podcasts. Navigon fades out iPod so you miss stuff.

Magellan has the makings of becoming the best nav app. I recommend it slightly over Navigon.

maggie-theiphoneblog

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi Maggie,

Thanks,

The better features of the Magellan in my opinion are the quickspell and smartcity. It basiclly helps you quickly enter the address, so you can quickly get going. The Magellan app also has OneTouch: acts like a quick hit list so you can access your favorite locations which one touch. I have been getting alot of compliments on the look and feel of our UI. We dont have a traditional qwenty keyboard but our own verison of one which which displays letters bigger allowing for less mistakes. Take it from me, I have fat fingers and when you have your phone on a Car kit attached to the windshield, you do not want a tiny little onscreen qwenty keyboard.

As for the Car Kit, currently it is available for a pre-order purchase on Amazon.com. I think the current release date is Jan. 5, 2009. I know it is a bit of wait for them, but trust me they are worth it. Ranked as Editors #1 in GPS Navigation on Amazon, its worth the $129.99 price tag. Magellan's Premium GPS Car kit gives GPS functionality to the iPod touch and also enhances GPS reception on the iPhone 3G/S. But the most important feature that the Magellan Car Kit has that differ's from its competitor is it's bluetooth capabilities. It allows for the Car Kit to be used as a acting bluetooth headset device allowing the iPhone to be undocked off the Kit. These are just some of the highlights of the Car Kit we offer.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other questions. I would be happy to answer them.

Thank you for interest in our company and our products. :)

maggie-theiphoneblog

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Got Magellan a few days ago. Also have Navigon and Motion X.

I really like Magellan. Realy clean Gui. Easy to read street addresses and upcoming turns and such.

Search function is much preferred over Navigon as you can search for a business by name. (can't on Navigon - you have to go to category first which totally sucks). Also Poi's seem better than Navigon - though not as good motion x.

I don't like the Magellan keyboard. I hope they change it.

Also the Magellan pauses iPod when instructions come on which is great for audio books and podcasts. Navigon fades out iPod so you miss stuff.

Magellan has the makings of becoming the best nav app. I recommend it slightly over Navigon.

Hello MGtrader,

Thank you so much for all your feedback and sugguestions. Please be aware we are very aware of all our customers needs and wants. I will make sure to forward these request to our R&D and UI director. For your information, we are currently working on an app update, so please stay tune. Thank you.

iphonenow

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Maggie, I keep my iPhone 3G in a HybridShell case by Digital Lifestyle Outfitters which is a hassle to remove. Do you know if the Car Kit will allow the iPhone to fit with the case on? Also a few ?'s on the software: 1. are there multiple voices to choose from, 2. when listening to music and a direction announcement is made is the music paused and if so does it automatically restart, and 3. is there an option for real-time traffic? The new Magellan iPhone offerings look great and the intro price savings are significant. Thanks for your valuable comments.

maggie-theiphoneblog

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Maggie, I keep my iPhone 3G in a HybridShell case by Digital Lifestyle Outfitters which is a hassle to remove. Do you know if the Car Kit will allow the iPhone to fit with the case on? Also a few ?'s on the software: 1. are there multiple voices to choose from, 2. when listening to music and a direction announcement is made is the music paused and if so does it automatically restart, and 3. is there an option for real-time traffic? The new Magellan iPhone offerings look great and the intro price savings are significant. Thanks for your valuable comments.

Hi iphonenow,

Thank you for your interest. I have listed the answers you asked for below. Please let me know if I can further assist you. Thank you!

FYI: We are having a 4-day sale on the car kit and app. $20 off the car kit with a purchase of the Magellan iPhone app. Please check our main website for details.

Car Kit

1.) The car kit does fit almost all iphone cases; however, I am unfamilier with your specific case; therefore, I can't give you a definate answer. But my guess is, if your case fits the generic dimensions of a iphone case, it should be fine.

Software

1.) Yes, there are multiple voices to choose from. Languages include English, French and Spanish. TTS is only in English and French. Voice accents from Male and Female in English, American, Canadian, Spanish, and French.

2.) When listening to music, music is temporarily muted for on-board directions and annoucements. I have read good comments by people who listen to podcast and audiobooks.

3. We are currently working on adding Live-Traffic to our app.

Last edited:

iphonenow

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Maggie, Thanks for the answers. One more follow-on: Is the car mount set up to attach to either the windshield or dash and is the normal attachment such that it can be easily removed (theft deterrent) or moved between card? I am aware of the special savings thru 12/8 & am trying to get comfortable buying the hardware before it is released & reviewed.

rsthirteen

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Maggie,

I just purchased the RoadMate App from Itunes and have an Iphone 3G. I have 2.13GB available, yet everytime I try installing the App I get an error message telling me that there is not enough space. Before purchasing, I saw on all of your documentation that the App was 1.36GB and that you needed 2GB of available space, which I clearly have, yet I simply cannot install the App. Any advice? Thanks!

Robert

maggie-theiphoneblog

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Maggie,

I just purchased the RoadMate App from Itunes and have an Iphone 3G. I have 2.13GB available, yet everytime I try installing the App I get an error message telling me that there is not enough space. Before purchasing, I saw on all of your documentation that the App was 1.36GB and that you needed 2GB of available space, which I clearly have, yet I simply cannot install the App. Any advice? Thanks!

Robert

Robert,

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties installing our app onto your phone. This issue is currently being investigated; however, the general censeus is to make at least twice the memory room prior to installation. Therefore, try freeing about 3-4GB. Apple representatives also recommed to manage your memory space of your phone via iTunes on your desktop accordingly. After installation, the App will should only take up 1.36GB. Please let me know if you have any further trouble. I will do my best to assist you.

maggie-theiphoneblog

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Maggie, Thanks for the answers. One more follow-on: Is the car mount set up to attach to either the windshield or dash and is the normal attachment such that it can be easily removed (theft deterrent) or moved between card? I am aware of the special savings thru 12/8 & am trying to get comfortable buying the hardware before it is released & reviewed.

iphonenow,

The car mount set up is attached to the windshield. It is an normal attachment. It is operated by using a clamp and suction pad. In my own personal experience, it is very solid meaning it will always stay on; however, if someone is gonna rob you, you are out of luck.

FYI: It has already been picked Best of 2009 GPS devices by Amazon. I also remember reading very solid reviews for it online. If you dont already have a car kit with all the goodies, I suggest you picking this one up. I know you might think my opinion is bias but this is the best car kit on the market. With our $20 promotion now too, it will give it a big boost over our competitor.

Thanks again for your interest. Please let me know if you have any questions. :)

iphonenow

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Bonnie, one last question before the special ends tonight: will the app work in a first generation iPhone (without the built-in gps) when that phone is mounted in the car Kit? Also am I right that despite a strong windshield suction cup the suction can be released so that the unit can be moved between cars? Thanks again.

maggie-theiphoneblog

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Bonnie, one last question before the special ends tonight: will the app work in a first generation iPhone (without the built-in gps) when that phone is mounted in the car Kit? Also am I right that despite a strong windshield suction cup the suction can be released so that the unit can be moved between cars? Thanks again.

iphonenow,

I can not give you a definite answer if the first gen iPhones would receive GPS from the Car Kit. We have not had the chance to test it. But I will get back to you when I know for sure.

You are correct that the Car Kit can be removed and used between different cars. :)

maggie-theiphoneblog

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
$20 off Car Kit Promotion Ends Tonight!

Hi All,

We just want to remind everyone that the $20 off Car Kit Promotion will end tonight at 11:59pm (PST)! If you haven't bought the App already, this is a great chance to also receive a $20 coupon that will go towards our Premium Car Kit!

Instructions:

Purchase the Magellan Roadmate App on iTunes by 12/8/09
Register the App by 12/21/09 at Magellan GPS-Your favorites at your fingertips!
Purchase the Premium Car Kit by 1/31/10 with your coupon on our Magellan website

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thank You,
Maggie

iphonenow

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Maggie, I noticed that the website indicates that the software/car kit supports iPod touch & doesn't include first generation iPhone. I do hope that this gets tested very soon & all iPhone models are proven to work, if not for those of us with both a newer & older iPhones TomTom wins on this point. Unfortunately, I chose to miss out on the sale price for the car kit until this (sort of important?) issues gets clarified. Will look forward to more information on this. Thanks Again.

maggie-theiphoneblog

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Maggie, I noticed that the website indicates that the software/car kit supports iPod touch & doesn't include first generation iPhone. I do hope that this gets tested very soon & all iPhone models are proven to work, if not for those of us with both a newer & older iPhones TomTom wins on this point. Unfortunately, I chose to miss out on the sale price for the car kit until this (sort of important?) issues gets clarified. Will look forward to more information on this. Thanks Again.

iphonenow,

Let me explain the difference between Magellan's car kit and TomToms.

1.) Magellan's car kit can do everything TomTom's can.

2.) The ability to speak wirelessly via bluetooth without having the phone docked in the bay.

3.) TomTom kit can only be mounted onto the windshield. I was informed yesterday, that ours will include both windshield mount and dashboard.

4.) Our Car kit can be used as a wireless bluetooth device with any celluar bluetooth phone. For TomTom, bluetooth only works when a iPhone is plugged in.

Finally, the first gen iPhone issue. Unofficially, Magellan's car kit should provide GPS to the first gen iPhones similar to the TomTom car kit. Officially, we have not yet tested.

Please note that our app will run alot slower on a first gen iPhone. This may cause issues such as app crashing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen