Magellan Roadmate Gps App!

rogersta

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
Maggie,

I know the official company line is that the magellan app and car kit are designed to work with the iphone 3G, 3GS and ipod touch second generation, but will it technically work with a first generation ipod touch. I will be purchasing the car kit regardless, but still waiting on purchasing the app. If it does then I will be going with the Magellan app, if not then the TOMTOM app since it claims to support the first gen touch.

ShaneXman

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Maggie,

I know the official company line is that the magellan app and car kit are designed to work with the iphone 3G, 3GS and ipod touch second generation, but will it technically work with a first generation ipod touch. I will be purchasing the car kit regardless, but still waiting on purchasing the app. If it does then I will be going with the Magellan app, if not then the TOMTOM app since it claims to support the first gen touch.

In an earlier post (#20), Maggie stated the following....

Finally, the first gen iPhone issue. Unofficially, Magellan's car kit should provide GPS to the first gen iPhones similar to the TomTom car kit. Officially, we have not yet tested.

...this leads me to believe that it will also work on the first gen iPod Touch. Just an observation, but hopefully Maggie can shed some light on this. :D

maggie-theiphoneblog

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Maggie,

Rogersta,

Let me confirm first before I can give you the unofficially word. But in my quick opinion, it would work. I am worried though about a battery issue because the 2nd gen Ipod Touch does show greater battery life than the first gen; however, if you keep it plugged in the car kit, you should have no issues.

Also, please note with no external speaker, the app on the first gen Ipod Touch would have no sound without the Car Kit attached.

I hope I have answered your questions. Please let me know If I can be of anymore assistance.

ShaneXman

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Maggie,

Do you have any idea of what the size of the ball mount on Premium Car Kit is? I know it's not a standard size, because the ball is definitely smaller than that of Garmin (I compared). :confused: Could you please find out the exact size?

I am looking for options for mounting the kit to my dash, because I want something that is moveable to prevent theft.

I was thinking something like the Magellan Beanbag Mount...

getProdImage.asp

...but I am looking for "slimmer" options, since the space on my dash is narrower than the beanbag mount.

I would like to try some sort of friction mount, like the Magellan RoadMate Portable Dash Mount since I can put one of the "fingers" towards the front and the others towards the back.

getProdImage.asp

Any insight as to whether or not this is feasible? Either way, please let me know ball mount size, as there are other options (RAM mounts, etc.). Thanks in advance! :D

rogersta

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
Rogersta,

Let me confirm first before I can give you the unofficially word. But in my quick opinion, it would work. I am worried though about a battery issue because the 2nd gen Ipod Touch does show greater battery life than the first gen; however, if you keep it plugged in the car kit, you should have no issues.

Also, please note with no external speaker, the app on the first gen Ipod Touch would have no sound without the Car Kit attached.

I hope I have answered your questions. Please let me know If I can be of anymore assistance.

Maggie,

I am standing by for the unoffical word, but hope to have it before the Jan 3 deadline for the discount on the Roadmate app is over. The first gen touch would only be used with the car kit.

Thanks

ShaneXman

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Maggie,

I am standing by for the unoffical word, but hope to have it before the Jan 3 deadline for the discount on the Roadmate app is over. The first gen touch would only be used with the car kit.

Thanks

Where are you located? If you are local (or anyone else for that matter) who has an iPod Touch (1st Gen)...you are more than welcome to set up a time with me to test it out. Not to mention, you can see the kit before it comes out as well. ;)

rogersta

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
Where are you located? If you are local (or anyone else for that matter) who has an iPod Touch (1st Gen)...you are more than welcome to set up a time with me to test it out. Not to mention, you can see the kit before it comes out as well. ;)

I appreciate the offer, but I am in Virginia. I saw your review and the kit looks great! How did you manage to snag one early?

rogersta

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
Maggie,

Do you have any idea of what the size of the ball mount on Premium Car Kit is? I know it's not a standard size, because the ball is definitely smaller than that of Garmin (I compared). :confused: Could you please find out the exact size?

I am looking for options for mounting the kit to my dash, because I want something that is moveable to prevent theft.

I am also interested in this since I plan on using it in multiple vehicles.

ShaneXman

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Maggie,

I am also interested in this since I plan on using it in multiple vehicles.

Hey bud, if you edit your post...and put [/QUOTE] after my quote of "I am looking for options for mounting the kit to my dash, because I want something that is moveable to prevent theft."

...it will correct your quoting issue and more clearly display what you are stating. Just a heads up. :)

rogersta

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
Havn't heard anything from Maggie so rather than risk it not working I guess I am going with TOMTOM since the Roadmate app sale ends tonight.

maggie-theiphoneblog

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Havn't heard anything from Maggie so rather than risk it not working I guess I am going with TOMTOM since the Roadmate app sale ends tonight.

Rogersta,

Sorry that I did not get back to you in time. Please understand that I cannot check this on a day to day basis and due to the holidays, it is difficult to get a definite answer to your question.

But here is your answers to your question: The iPod 1st gen will work with the App and Car Kit but the Performance will be much slower.

Please let me know if you are still interested in purchasing the app and car kit. I can inform you of any special promo we can offer you.

Thank you for your interest and understanding.

Last edited:

maggie-theiphoneblog

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Maggie,

I was thinking something like the Magellan Beanbag Mount...

getProdImage.asp

...but I am looking for "slimmer" options, since the space on my dash is narrower than the beanbag mount.

I would like to try some sort of friction mount, like the Magellan RoadMate Portable Dash Mount since I can put one of the "fingers" towards the front and the others towards the back.

getProdImage.asp

Any insight as to whether or not this is feasible? Either way, please let me know ball mount size, as there are other options (RAM mounts, etc.). Thanks in advance! :D

ShaneXman,

I don't quite understand....you are looking for something moveable to prevent theft...? The Magellan Premium Car Kit is movable.

As for the answers to your question:

The ball diameter is 5/8''. The Suction cup diameter is 2.25''. The PCK uses the same windshield mount that is used on all 09 and up Magellan PNDs; therefore, PCK mount will work with a PND beanbag.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you have any other questions or issues.

Always a pleasure to help. :)

MGTrader

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Maggie,
Got a question. I drive a convertible. I wanna know if I buy the mount and put it so that its about 2-3 feet (max) from my ear, if the volume boost from the speaker will likely be enough to hear clearly with my top down (which it is 98% of the time)?

Thanks

ShaneXman

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
ShaneXman,

I don't quite understand....you are looking for something moveable to prevent theft...? The Magellan Premium Car Kit is movable.

As for the answers to your question:

The ball diameter is 5/8''. The Suction cup diameter is 2.25''. The PCK uses the same windshield mount that is used on all 09 and up Magellan PNDs; therefore, PCK mount will work with a PND beanbag.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you have any other questions or issues.

Always a pleasure to help. :)

Maggie,

I wasn't saying that the car kit wasn't movable, I just want something that is movable without having to un-suction/disassemble. With a dash mount you are able to leave the unit suctioned, thus avoiding the wear and tear on the suction cup (eventually they quit working, and the nav falls without warning), as well as the constant adjusting of location, etc. This also avoids the suction cup circles on the windshield. Having an all in one unit allows you to simply place the beanbag mount on the dash, and your ready to go.

Thanks for the information, that's exactly what I needed. :)

rogersta

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
Rogersta,

Sorry that I did not get back to you in time. Please understand that I cannot check this on a day to day basis and due to the holidays, it is difficult to get a definite answer to your question.

But here is your answers to your question: The iPod 1st gen will work with the App and Car Kit but the Performance will be much slower.

Please let me know if you are still interested in purchasing the app and car kit. I can inform you of any special promo we can offer you.

Thank you for your interest and understanding.

Maggie,

I am still interested in the app and car kit. How do I go about getting the promo code? Thanks!

maggie-theiphoneblog

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Maggie,
Got a question. I drive a convertible. I wanna know if I buy the mount and put it so that its about 2-3 feet (max) from my ear, if the volume boost from the speaker will likely be enough to hear clearly with my top down (which it is 98% of the time)?

Thanks

MGTrader,

The car kit has a built-in speaker that increases/enhances the volume noticeably. You should be able to hear clearly with your top down.

gainc#IM

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Coming from Blackberry Storm

Question. On my Blackberry I had Garmin and I would just throw it on the seat and if I had my bluetooth the turn by turn would play through that and if not the sound would be loud enough to easily hear.
Why is everybody interested in a $ 130.00 car kit? Am I missing something ?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro