Okay, I admit it. I am anxious for the TomTom update. It seems as though every day since I switched from Palm Treo to the iPhone, on the first day of availability, I have been waiting for TomTom, Apple, or both. Even if I were not taking a trip next week, I would still be anxious. I am really trying to prod the forty high priests of approval to spend some of their precious mojo on TomTom.

Of course, given that they must vet all the streets in North America to ensure that text-to-speech does not pronounce one of them in a manner likely "to offend those under seventeen," one might be surprised if they ever finish. On the other hand, given that it is a high gross application, one might want to give it priority.

What is your guess? This is already day two. When will we see this significant update?
    11-13-2009 05:09 PM
    we have no way to answer this
    11-16-2009 02:11 PM
    well, the average wait is ~10 days from submit to approval
    11-16-2009 03:59 PM
    yes desperately need this app
    11-17-2009 05:52 AM
    well, the average wait is ~10 days from submit to approval
    This is now day six. I am creating a load on the app store by connecting every 45 minutes to see if it is available. Have a trip tomorrow and another on Friday.

This is an upgrade, for cripes sake; how hard can it be? Hear us oh high priests.

Apple is creating a moral hazard by concentrating so much power in the hands of so few. How long will it be before we hear that the EU or some state attorney general is prosecuting one or all of the high priests for suborning bribes? Since TomTom is presumably too ethical to pay bribes, their customers will suffer relative to the customers of Navigon or AT&T.
    Last edited by whmurray; 11-17-2009 at 09:55 AM.
    11-17-2009 09:45 AM
    Day 7. Good job Apple.

Do not try to download directly to your iPhone via 3G or WiFi. Use iTunes. Check for downloads and then sync. This is a big program.

Be aware that you will lose all state saved in TomTom 1.2. Save the "recents" and "favorites" that you can to contacts.

Hope to use it tonight and report tomorrow.

Did get a chance to use the car kit with AT&T Navigator.
    11-22-2009 10:54 AM
    Day 7. Good job Apple.

Do not try to download directly to your iPhone via 3G or WiFi. Use iTunes. Check for downloads and then sync. This is a big program.

Be aware that you will lose all state saved in TomTom 1.2. Save the "recents" and "favorites" that you can to contacts.

Hope to use it tonight and report tomorrow.

Did get a chance to use the car kit with AT&T Navigator.
    Well, the short story is good job Apple, not so good TomTom.

I was two hundred and fifty miles from home when the update became available. Clicked on install. "Use WiFi." Find a hotspot, click on install. No progress after 15 minutes. Have to get on the road but now cannot use TomTom. Switch to AT&T Navigator. I was relying on TomTom to remember the location of my hotel. Could not find it in Navigator. Had to find and enter the address.

When I got to my hotel, tried to complete the download. No progress. The next morning I tried again. Figured it might download across breakfast. This time it told me to use iTunes. Would have to wait until I got home. However, TomTom was now back. However, I had appreciated text-to-speech so much the night before that I used Navigator to get home.

A word here about Navigator and the Car Kit. Navigator speech is easier to understand using the car kit than without it. However, depending upon the ambient noise, it is still not quite good enough.

Got home, connected to iTunes, told it download the new app. This still took a while even over the wire. Sync did not update the app on the iPhone. Deleted it on iPhone and re-synced. Worked. Version 1.3 now on the iPhone.

However, all my settings, "recents," and "favorites" were gone.

Entered my next destination and hit the road. NO TEXT to SPEECH. Looking back, I find that while news reports said that it was included, TomTom never did.

So we are still waiting for the most important feature that sets TomTom iPhone app apart from all of its competition, including other TomTom products.

This update did include new maps and points of interest. TomTom promised a free update. I am afraid that this is it and it did not include Text to Speech.

Still waiting.
    11-22-2009 11:35 AM
    Entered my next destination and hit the road. NO TEXT to SPEECH. Looking back, I find that while news reports said that it was included, TomTom never did.
    I read on some of the reviews that you had to choose "Samantha (Computer)" to get some text-to-speech things to work. Not sure if it provides everything you were hoping for with this release, but maybe that helps. I don't have this app, so I cannot verify what is or is not there. (I've been doing casual research on navigation apps, and it looks like it will probably come down to Tom Tom or Navigon, but I'm still thinking about it. Kind of hard to just make a spur of the moment $70-100 purchase like that.)
    11-23-2009 09:28 AM
    Well, the short story is good job Apple, not so good TomTom.
    There has been a huge section of all uppercase text in the app description for 4-5 days explaining how to get text to speech working direct from Tom Tom.
    11-23-2009 09:31 AM
    I read on some of the reviews that you had to choose "Samantha (Computer)" to get some text-to-speech things to work. Not sure if it provides everything you were hoping for with this release, but maybe that helps. I don't have this app, so I cannot verify what is or is not there. (I've been doing casual research on navigation apps, and it looks like it will probably come down to Tom Tom or Navigon, but I'm still thinking about it. Kind of hard to just make a spur of the moment $70-100 purchase like that.)
    Thanks! Great catch. Credible if not obvious. I have changed the setting and will report.
    11-23-2009 10:34 AM
    There has been a huge section of all uppercase text in the app description for 4-5 days explaining how to get text to speech working direct from Tom Tom.
    Sorry. Did not see it. Not for lack of looking. I thought that I had posted to every TomTom thread. Perhaps the mods can do a little consolidation.
    11-23-2009 10:38 AM
    Perhaps you can post a link.

I did find the following in the manual:

Settings

Voice

Tap this option to select the voice used for instructions. The TomTom app has two different kinds of voices:
    Computer voices

The TomTom app makes use of text-to-speech technology to generate computer voices. They provide spoken instructions while you are driving and can pronounce street names and status messages.
    11-23-2009 05:49 PM
    Thanks! Great catch. Credible if not obvious. I have changed the setting and will report.
    Well, used it today. Short local trip. Works very well. Voice is easy to understand. At abuut half a mile it tells you when and in which direction you are to turn. At a hundred yards or so it reads the name of the street on which one is to turn.
    11-24-2009 09:57 PM
    Not quite sure whether TomTom are killing their business model with the release of this app. I'm guessing they realize that they can no longer compete in the hardware market any more.
    11-25-2009 12:58 PM
    Not quite sure whether TomTom are killing their business model with the release of this app. I'm guessing they realize that they can no longer compete in the hardware market any more.
    I tend to agree that most of their value is in software, not hardware. They are in the hardware business to package their software and fill niches. There is not much difference between their boxes and those of Garmin or Magellan.

That said, at the street price of $85-, I think that the Car Kit is competitive. It is higher quality, more functional, and more tailored to the iPhone than any other BT car kits out there. I held off buying any of the other solutions out there, paid list for the Car Kit, and am still glad I did.

That leaves open the question as to why they priced the Car Kit the way they did.

I do not think that the $99- for the software is the price that maximizes their profit (marginal cost equals marginal revenue). On the other hand, it is a better product and priced lower than their Palm Treo offering.

I am glad to be able to say that TomTom now has the market leading product that we expected from them. Too bad they could not have delivered it on a more timely basis. They gave up a lot of market share while they were getting their act together.
    Last edited by whmurray; 11-25-2009 at 03:58 PM.
    11-25-2009 03:53 PM
    Absolutely agree TomTom led the way for so long (I mean their name is virtually synonymous with GPS) in the hardware stakes, their only hardware saving grace will probably be built in car devices.

I have the feeling they've realized that mobile phones are going to become almost a catch all for mass consumer handheld tech gadgets (they will almost certainly soon be the do it all device, perhaps even for credit card and ID, so prevalent have they become), and are slowly shipping to a software, then, mainly subscription system.

They had a great opportunity to monopolise the market and unfortunately for them, have failed.
    11-26-2009 01:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD