Searching here and online gave me Recorder, which allows recording phone conversations through a second party, at the cost of 2 bucks per hour.
    I ASSUME this is the only App that actually is capable of recording calls, notwithstanding the fact it is incapable of recording incoming calls and the cost per hour.
    Am I wrong?? Anyone working on this?? I find it (as do other searchers) impossible to believe the recording a call feature hasn't been addressed by other app developers.
    I don't need a legal discourse, one party consent is legal in Georgia, and in all but 12 states.
    Any updates, ideas, or thoughts????
    10-26-2009 11:27 PM
    You may not need a legal discourse, but would you be interested in a technical discourse? It has to do with the number and placement of speakers, their ability to work simultaneously (or not), and the microphone. It seems that the more features a phone has, the less likely it will be able to record a phone call.
    10-27-2009 07:08 AM
    Apple doesn't allow apps to run in the background so third party apps can't run when a call comes in. Even if this were changed Apple doesn't have an API to grab call data.

and even then the major problem is always going to be incoming calls. without moving your number to a third party service that records incoming calls you need a way to begin recording on the handheld from the phone app.

Apple won't allow this because of that very legal discourse you don't want to discuss. They don't want to be a party to a lawsuit since one party isn't legal in every state. It's easier to simply not distribute that feature.

you have two options
    1. put them on speaker and use a handheld audio recorder
    2. find a third party relay service and move your phone number to them so they can record incoming (assuming one exists)
    10-27-2009 10:24 AM
    Ahhh, technical reasons.......
    Not allowing apps to run in the background....there you go....

Other theads where this is discussed lead to multipage "legal" discussions, I appreciate the technical answer....
    At least I won't be looking everyday for an app that provides the service.....
    10-27-2009 06:55 PM
    Ahhh, technical reasons.......
    Not allowing apps to run in the background....there you go....

Other theads where this is discussed lead to multipage "legal" discussions, I appreciate the technical answer....
    At least I won't be looking everyday for an app that provides the service.....
    Yes, I'm sure legal issues are not your concern as I'm sure you have that handled handily via warrant based on your login name
    10-28-2009 04:04 PM
    The legal issues are clearly defined...in MOST states one party consent is legal. I was trying to make this a technical discussion, rather than a legal one. It is so far undisputed here (flyingembers post) that Apple won't let apps run in the background during calls, which, is a simple straightforward answer to the question. (althought I don't understand it, and I can't believe some hacker hasn't figured out a way around it)
    Their are lots of reasons that someone other than a Sheriff (yes, I am one) might want to record a call.
    Furthermore, "liability" that Apple may suffer, as an argument against such an app, seems disingenuous to me, since Apple has a whole host of apps that would allow for secretly recording conversations in person....including the one that came on my phone. Such behavior is a crime in several states....
    10-28-2009 06:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD