Whats the best GPS app for the money??

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
:eek:I am driving from NJ to Canada next week and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for me?? Thank you:cool:

I need something that works well and doesnt cost too much...anyone?:confused:

Note: A GPS app with US and Canada Maps

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
yeah I have a two year old garmin and I love Navigon on my phone, but the Garmin still has a place on my dash for some trips. If it is a long trip or a complicated trip, it is too much of a pain the butt to keep the Navigon app running while I'm listening to podcasts, calling people, and checking mail.
So don't give up on the standalone GPS yet.

The iPhone app is awesome for quick trips or when I fly to other cities.

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
yeah I have a two year old garmin and I love Navigon on my phone, but the Garmin still has a place on my dash for some trips. If it is a long trip or a complicated trip, it is too much of a pain the butt to keep the Navigon app running while I'm listening to podcasts, calling people, and checking mail.
So don't give up on the standalone GPS yet.

The iPhone app is awesome for quick trips or when I fly to other cities.

Great point, hence not wanting to pay 90 bucks for a passive navigating app. I'm stuck considering the same option.

Rich

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
im looking at it now, so after 30 days, i have to purchase it again?

No, you don't. The application continues to function, but you lose the 3D map view and voice prompts. You only need to pay an additional $2.99 when you need those features. For me, that's probably only once or twice per year.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
No, you don't. The application continues to function, but you lose the 3D map view and voice prompts. You only need to pay an additional $2.99 when you need those features. For me, that's probably only once or twice per year.

oooo wonderful, i think im going to use this one for now:D

Q: So without the 3d Map view and voice prompts, the nav is useless, correct?

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
ok so i have another Q...

When i use the app to go from the US to Canada...will i be charged data roaming when im in Canada?? <<< Because i still will need to use it!!

rokamortis

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
I like it too. I never could justify spending a lot of money on a GPS app as I would rarely use it but always wanted one just in case I would need it. This is a good solution for people like me. Only purchase the months when we need it and the maps and POI are always updated.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
ok i have another Q i been wanting to ask about this "GPS Drive" app...When i get into Canada while using this app, will i be charged data roaming?

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
BUMP!! Does anyone know the answer to my post#14???? I am leaving tomorrow morning and dont want any surprises!!! Thanks in advance!!

WoNGsTeR#IM

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
BUMP!! Does anyone know the answer to my post#14???? I am leaving tomorrow morning and dont want any surprises!!! Thanks in advance!!

how big is this program? if its small than, i have a feeling it needs data to download the maps... so most likely you wil incurr some roaming charges..

i am using navigon, and love it.. its a big program 1.3gb.. but thats because it has all the maps in north america preloaded into your iphone.

edit:

ok just checked.. its only 8.9mb.. and it states that it is always up to date data for you bla bla.. so in other words it does use data.

so once you cross the border when your iphone starts using the gps program than it will be using roaming data..

you have couple options..

1st : call your service provider and add a roaming data package.. which my friend did when he came from san fran to toronto canada to visit..

2nd : with the amount of data the gps drive going to cost you . you might as well buy navigon..

Last edited:

teme

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
ok i have another Q i been wanting to ask about this "GPS Drive" app...When i get into Canada while using this app, will i be charged data roaming?

this app uses online maps so it needs a data connection
you will have a few surprises if use abroad
get navigon or tomtom; those have the maps stored on the phone

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
:eek:I am driving from NJ to Canada next week and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for me?? Thank you:cool:

I need something that works well and doesnt cost too much...anyone?:confused:

Note: A GPS app with US and Canada Maps
Use the AT&T Navigator. It is full featured and only cost $10 per month. I recommend a BT A2DP headset to make it easy to hear but it is not necessary.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods