this isn't really an issue, rather more like a gripe. upon checking my AT&T/App Store bill, i didn't realize that i was charged tax on all App Store purchases. is this a standard regardless of what state/country you're from? guess i never read anywhere that taxes were to be tacked on.

again, not a problem. just kind of took me by surprise.
    10-20-2009 11:21 AM
    how much was the tax?...if u dont mind my asking

i never purchased anything from the app store so i was just wondering
    10-20-2009 11:23 AM
    without doing math in my head, the app store price was $0.99, but the bill showed $1.09. so minimal, but still...
    10-20-2009 11:37 AM
    yep, i get charged 10% tax also. im sure apple has it somewhere in the "fine print" or whatever. good thing i dont buy those $50+ apps; tax would be killer when adding up. all the more reason for people to jailbreak i guess...
    10-20-2009 12:48 PM
    yep, i get charged 10% tax also. im sure apple has it somewhere in the "fine print" or whatever. good thing i dont buy those $50+ apps; tax would be killer when adding up. all the more reason for people to jailbreak i guess...
    yeah, i did notice the tax increased as the app price did. my $9.99 Beejive app was more like $10.99 if i remember right
    10-20-2009 01:08 PM
    The days of purchasing something online and not paying sales tax are pretty much over...

A few years ago, a consortium of states got together and decided to change the way sales tax would be charged on inter-state commerce. Basically it switched the nexus (point of sale) from the shipping point to where it is received.

Most major online stores are now charging sales tax because of these new law changes. There still are a few smaller stores that aren't charging tax, but I have found that they are in the minority.
    10-20-2009 03:03 PM
    I believe it varies from state to state, but I am not sure.

I know when I was in Florida I didn't get charge tax. When I was in TX, I did. But maybe they changed the policy right around when I moved.

Chris
    10-20-2009 03:20 PM
    I get charged sales tax for apps but not music (which matches what I recall some state representative saying). I can't really complain too much. If it keeps the state from going bankrupt, then I suppose it's a good thing. It's only a few cents (unless I go crazy and start buying $30 apps and stuff).
    10-20-2009 03:28 PM
    I don't get charged tax for anything. Lucky me
    10-22-2009 01:03 AM
    I never get charged tax for anything, Luck me too!
    10-22-2009 02:14 AM
    I get charged tax. Damn MN state sales tax.
    10-22-2009 03:15 AM
    If your state has a sales tax, and Apple has stores in your state, they will charge the state sales tax for app purchases. It is as if you purchased an actual item from their brick and mortar store. That is why, for years, if you ordered from Barnes and Noble on-line, and they had stores in your state you paid tax, and you didn't pay tax from Amazon. That has since changed, since it has been determined that Amazon is doing business within your state (at least NY) since they are selling and have a warehouse there.
    10-22-2009 09:12 AM
    If your state has a sales tax, and Apple has stores in your state, they will charge the state sales tax for app purchases. It is as if you purchased an actual item from their brick and mortar store. That is why, for years, if you ordered from Barnes and Noble on-line, and they had stores in your state you paid tax, and you didn't pay tax from Amazon. That has since changed, since it has been determined that Amazon is doing business within your state (at least NY) since they are selling and have a warehouse there.
    Apple has stores in my state and my state has a sales tax. I still dont pay a tax through iTunes...
    10-22-2009 09:20 PM
    of course.. the same if u buy a gift card.. u pay tax
    10-22-2009 10:01 PM
    I've never paid attention to this, till NOW!
    10-22-2009 10:13 PM
    this isn't really an issue, rather more like a gripe. upon checking my AT&T/App Store bill, i didn't realize that i was charged tax on all App Store purchases. is this a standard regardless of what state/country you're from? guess i never read anywhere that taxes were to be tacked on.

again, not a problem. just kind of took me by surprise.
    Take it up with your state legislature about sales tax on downloads. I don't get charged tax from the app store. The App Store (iTunes) and your AT&T bill are unrelated as well.
    10-23-2009 12:17 AM
    That has since changed, since it has been determined that Amazon is doing business within your state (at least NY) since they are selling and have a warehouse there.

actually nys passed some stupid internet tax that retailers doing business with nys residents have to be charged sales tax.

this is for nys some other states have too some retailers follow this others don't.

N.Y. Orders Large Web Retailers To Charge Tax - wcbstv.com

amazon even sued and lost.

Amazon's Suit Over NY Sales Tax Gets Tossed Out By Judge | Techdirt
    Last edited by wabbit; 10-23-2009 at 12:38 AM.
    10-23-2009 12:21 AM
    It really depends on your state laws as far as I know. Where I am, we started getting taxed on iTunes purchases a few mos ago, while I know other people still were not, or had been for quite a while already.

State laws is what it's all about apparently.
    10-23-2009 03:22 AM
    Wow, I never knew they did this until reading this here.
    Thanks for letting me (us) know!

Does anyone know if it's like this for more regions of the world or just in the US?

-c
    10-24-2009 09:47 PM
    Wow, I never knew they did this until reading this here.
    Thanks for letting me (us) know!

Does anyone know if it's like this for more regions of the world or just in the US?

-c
    i think most eu countries pay something called vat, maybe a eu member can clarify this.

which is a tax.
    10-25-2009 12:17 AM
    o my god! i pay 0.99
    05-01-2010 10:33 AM
    I get charged sales tax for apps but not music (which matches what I recall some state representative saying). I can't really complain too much. If it keeps the state from going bankrupt, then I suppose it's a good thing. It's only a few cents (unless I go crazy and start buying $30 apps and stuff).
    Same here in IL...no tax on music but tax on apps
    05-10-2010 09:33 PM
    thats new to me too!! thanks for pointing this out anyways...
    05-13-2010 01:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD