I just saw that the TomTom car kit is being listed for sale again at $120 US.

And it doesn't include the app.

$120 for the kit, $99 for the app - $240 spent total? And rumors suggest that TomTom will not provide a lot of free updates for the app?

Major fail.

Chris
    10-08-2009 08:54 PM
    I agree.

Speaking of fail...Leanna will not be pleased with your math. 120 + 99 = 240?
    10-09-2009 12:58 PM
    I agree.

This made me LOL
    10-09-2009 01:26 PM
    Ooops.....that's why I am a biologist.
    10-09-2009 01:38 PM
    I must agree.. major fail.

Sadly I had such high hopes for this and planned on getting it if the pricing was decent -- but its obviously not.
    10-09-2009 09:58 PM
    $220 doesn't sound like a lot in my book. As long as it works well. So far the app alone is sketchy. I'm hoping the kit will improve reception.
    10-11-2009 03:05 PM
    $220 doesn't sound like a lot in my book. As long as it works well. So far the app alone is sketchy. I'm hoping the kit will improve reception.
    Not a lot on your book? Wanna buy me a 32g 3GS?! :P

I was really hoping this was going to be something useful, but at that price point I just can't see it being worth it... Especially without many free updates.
    10-11-2009 10:41 PM
    is it true that you can use the car kit with another gps app? i heard this somewhere but not sure? if so, i'm going to get the kit & pair it with motion x "drive"...
    10-14-2009 12:31 AM
    looking great
    10-14-2009 05:05 AM
    TomTom have said that all updates until the end of 2009 will be free. And that they plan to add a lot more features in time (as well as the improvements to the coding = faster).

Im gunna wait until the next update (hopefully coming soon) before i purchase the app or the mount.

the other question was about compatibility with other apps:
    I have read that the mount has both an internal gps chip and an iphone gps antenna. I would imagine the chip only works with the tomtom app but the antenna works with all apps. but thats just my imagination! lol. i have no idea whats actually going on.
    10-15-2009 03:00 PM
    Received mine on Friday, also download the Tom Tom update on the IPhone. Installed the cradle in the car yesterday (simple) and tried it but only for an hour.
    Very impressed! All the niggles etc seemed to have been ironed out with the use of the cradle, no loss of GPS signal.
    My verdict -- Go for it!
    10-18-2009 06:35 AM
    If they are going to charge so much for everything, all updates should be free.

Charging for updates on an app that is lowly priced is ok, and understandable -- but for something like this - not at all besides ripping off users even more..
    10-18-2009 12:10 PM
    Received mine on Friday, also download the Tom Tom update on the IPhone. Installed the cradle in the car yesterday (simple) and tried it but only for an hour.
    Very impressed! All the niggles etc seemed to have been ironed out with the use of the cradle, no loss of GPS signal.
    My verdict -- Go for it!
    Where did you get it?
    10-18-2009 05:31 PM
    Saw the announcement on the Tom Tom website on Monday last week. Went on their website- tomtom.com and ordered it and it was delivered to my home in the UK on Friday.
    Hope that this helps?
    10-18-2009 05:39 PM
    Saw the announcement on the Tom Tom website on Monday last week. Went on their website- tomtom.com and ordered it and it was delivered to my home in the UK on Friday.
    Hope that this helps?
    thanks. europe only. the US web site has an empty list captioned "where to buy."
    10-18-2009 07:29 PM
    Just been on the Tom Tom website and had missed the "Europe Only' bit but now it is saying that it is "not available at tomtom.com"

Sorry for getting your hopes up.
    10-19-2009 09:51 AM
    I agree.

lolz!!!

It's ok. My arithmetic skills aren't that great either (shh, don't tell anyone).
    10-19-2009 10:07 AM
    is it true that you can use the car kit with another gps app? i heard this somewhere but not sure? if so, i'm going to get the kit & pair it with motion x "drive"...
    The answer from an insert in the box is "the TomTom car kit does NOT require the TomTom navigation app." However, each time you dock your iPhone to the car kit, you will see pop up offering to sell it to you. There is a free tool in app store that will permanently disable this message and give you other useful information.
    11-05-2009 02:18 PM
    11-12-2009 11:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD