That shouldn't make a difference. I'm jb on 3.0.1 and can use both - although I deleted Ping cause I felt it was worthless.
    10-08-2009 10:39 AM
    That shouldn't make a difference. I'm jb on 3.0.1 and can use both - although I deleted Ping cause I felt it was worthless.
    same here. except the deletion of Ping part. i still have it...for now. yet to get any friends to buy WhatsApp. many of my iPhone 'buddies' are still rocking 1st gen iPhones. and don't even have OS 3.0 installed yet. <insert sigh here>
    10-08-2009 11:10 AM
    I've been using Ping for a few days and apart from the issues listed above it's good

as I use a touch and not an iPhone and therefore have no phone number, can I still register for an account on Whatapps?

Thanks

from a Newbie
    the reason we don't do iPod Touch is because iPod Touch only works when you are on Wi-Fi. in my opinion this is a major limitation for us and i just don't want to charge iPod Touch users for an app which will kind of work due to this network limitation. now if we make a free Lite version, yes, maybe...
    10-08-2009 12:24 PM
    hi all

neither whatsapp nor Ping! works with my iPhone
    my iPhone is jailbroken .. used redsn0w and 3.0 firmm.

i have a friend with "officially unlocked" iPhone and whatsapp works great with him

any ideas?
    we officially can't support jailbroken phones since all kind of badness can happen with jailbreaking. there is a reason why apple has dozens of bsd kernel engineers working on the iphone
    10-08-2009 12:26 PM
    Ah, since WhatsApp is replying to post(s), let me ask this:

Why is it, sometimes one can receive a message, then reply, but when the person replies to you, you don't get a notification or any indication that you have a message UNLESS you happen to go back into the app?

I've been chatting with Alli, and we had that exact same issue...
    10-08-2009 01:18 PM
    I like whatsapp better personally I will probly get Ping too but whatsapp for me works better
    10-13-2009 10:06 AM
    Ah, since WhatsApp is replying to post(s), let me ask this:

Why is it, sometimes one can receive a message, then reply, but when the person replies to you, you don't get a notification or any indication that you have a message UNLESS you happen to go back into the app?

I've been chatting with Alli, and we had that exact same issue...
    take a look at our faq (i can't post URLs here), at the subject "I don't seem to get all push notifications"

fixed in 2.1
    10-13-2009 02:23 PM
    Thanks, I'll post the link for others: "I don't seem to get all push notifications"

take a look at our faq (i can't post URLs here), at the subject "I don't seem to get all push notifications"

fixed in 2.1
    10-13-2009 04:03 PM
    Ping! 1.01 has been posted to the app store. Seems ok at present...
    10-13-2009 04:44 PM
    What changes did they make to Ping? (I deleted it from my iPhone.)
    10-13-2009 05:20 PM
    It should be these:

Ping! 1.1 has been submitted on Sept 30.
    Changelog:
    NEW FEATURE - unregistering Ping! ID
    Fixed landscape keyboard
    Fixed occasional duplicate messages
    Fixed notification settings icon
    In-app invitation email
    Added localization for German, French, Spanish, Dutch, Italian

But, I've reinstalled it, and thus far sent a message to 'Dave', but no reply yet. Feel free to Ping! me: naviwilliams

What changes did they make to Ping? (I deleted it from my iPhone.)
    10-13-2009 05:30 PM
    Two big ones I noticed very quickly today..

1-Chat box disappearing when turning phone from portrait to landscape and vice versa..

2-Ping! box in top left hand corner in portrait view disappears when in landscape view..
    they just had an update for this.
    10-15-2009 09:57 PM
    Ping!

You don't have to give out your phone number to use ping, unless that changed. whatsapp required you to give people your phone number when i tried it.
    10-17-2009 04:06 AM
    Whatsapp is currently free for a limited time.
    11-10-2009 09:31 PM
    i have to check these out...
    11-10-2009 09:32 PM
    WhatsApp, however lame a name, looks better and is more responsive than Ping. I will get an alert for a new sms via Ping, and it will take minutes, sometimes hours, for it to show up. For whatever reason.
    11-11-2009 06:47 AM
    Ive heard good things about WhatsApp
    11-20-2009 06:11 PM
    My vote goes to WhatsApp. For those concerned about privacy, ask yourself this: "Do I give out my number to strangers and ask them to SMS me"? If you answered "No", what's the problem? This is meant to replace SMS, not your IM client. So it makes perfect sense to register your mobile number over a standard alpha [-numeric] username. The only people that can WhatsApp me are the same the can SMS me.. only those in my contact list. Not sure why people consider this a "privacy" issue. Just don't give your number out like you usually don't...

Anyways, WhatsApp is mature when you compare it to Ping!. Ping! is riddled with bugs and twice the price if you want MMS. Ping! handles cannot be associated to address book, can only send images (no video or voice), has issues with screen orientation, sends/recieves when it wants and has a very unresponsive developer who claims "his server is fine" as to say "it's not my issue, it's yours". He didn't even offer any sort of assistance nor did he ask any questions. A big fail if you ask me especially with the app is below average.

My mother and I used Ping! (as a free alternative to costly and overpriced SMS) since it was released. I didn't even look at WhatsApp at that point because Ping! was free. So I used it ever since... until yesterday actually when I decided I'd had enough. My mother and I used Ping extensively and we always complained about one thing or another. Again, it's just riddled with bugs (even 1.3) with slow release cycles.

Anyways, just another iTard for WhatsApp.
    01-25-2010 03:39 PM
    i used whats app, ping, yak and now beejive...whatsapp is very good app but they need group chat...for now beejive does the group chat job for me, but 10 dollars was a decision that is still hurting...
    01-27-2010 07:39 AM
    I like whatsapp. Its fast and smooth, but you need to know the persons cell number. Ping is nuts I always get messages from that app it almost gets annoying lol
    01-27-2010 08:52 AM
    I hadn't really looked into Ping, but I agree with a few of these other reviews.. Its FREE is always nice
    01-27-2010 10:13 PM
    WhatsApp is awesome!
    01-31-2010 07:36 PM
    LOL when I created this thread I didnt think it'd have almost 20k in views, wow.

Anyway, I'm WhatsApp all the way, love it love it love it. I was love/hate with Ping for a while, but now that most of my contacts have WhatsApp, its all that much better
    02-01-2010 05:53 PM
    Using ping cause got it early
    02-02-2010 07:30 PM
    Anyone else seeing AWFUL whatsapp service for the last day or so?
    I've been getting new message notifications (from many different people) and yet when I open the app there's nothing showing.

Emailed the usually very helpful support & heard nothing.
    02-13-2010 08:38 PM
104 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD