I am just curious as to the advantage over SMS? Now if you are on a limited SMS plan I can see how this could be useful but if you have the unlimited SMS plan what does this app give you over regular old SMS? Just want to know if it is worth it or not....
    like touchyphone just said...i guess 1 point to consider is that not everyone else has an unlimited SMS plan. Ping & WhatsApp are nice alternatives. take me for example. i have the minimum with AT&T (like 200 SMS/month) and i went way over last month. i've started experimenting by using BeeJive and now Ping to chat/send SMS's through AIM. my actual SMS messages being sent through AT&T's dataplan have been cut back significantly. if this continues to work for me, i won't have to consider increasing my SMS plan.

and so far, i haven't noticed any of the reported issues using Ping. <knock on wood> it's been pretty reliable for me thus far. and you can't beat free!
    10-01-2009 02:34 PM
    like touchyphone just said...i guess 1 point to consider is that not everyone else has an unlimited SMS plan. Ping & WhatsApp are nice alternatives. take me for example. i have the minimum with AT&T (like 200 SMS/month)
    I am in that boat and several of my friends now have iPhones so why pay AT&T more when I can do the same thing for free. I mean IM is great but many of my friends only text.
    10-01-2009 03:04 PM
    Thank you all for answering my question! Like I said I see where this would be advantageous to those with a limited plan. We have the unlimited due to Myself, the Wife and the pre-teen Daughter texting everyone and their brother. Mine is mostly due to work related, The Wife and the soon to be Teenage(GOD HELP ME!!!)Daughter.....well.... But thank you all for the info!!! I really due appreciate it!
    10-01-2009 04:37 PM
    We have the unlimited due to Myself, the Wife and the pre-teen Daughter texting everyone and their brother. Mine is mostly due to work related, The Wife and the soon to be Teenage(GOD HELP ME!!!)Daughter
    I am already ahead of you. I have three teenagers. Twins at 15 and a 13 year old. The kids and my wife are on a family plan with Unlimited texting. (I am separate from them because of work). They share 700 mins/month. They never go over their minutes. Last month my 13 yr old only put 1 min of talk time on his phone. 1 minute! He put 7000 text messages just on his phone! That does not include my wife or the other two teenagers. Yes, if you have teenagers you MUST have Unlimited Text!
    10-01-2009 04:53 PM
    I feel for you....Luckily my oldest is on his own in the Military...boys are so much easier to raise than girls!!! Don't get me wrong I love my little "Princess" to death but HOLY S&*#!!! they are evil.....pure evil......
    10-01-2009 05:28 PM
    Don't get me wrong I love my little "Princess" to death but HOLY S&*#!!! they are evil.....pure evil......
    One of the twins is a girl. She is not exactly evil and most days she is a sweet as sugar....BUT .....there are days that I say "Holy Crap!! Why are acting like your mother!"
    10-01-2009 06:06 PM
    And then there's the worser days... you know, like when she's cheering for Auburn...
    10-01-2009 07:10 PM
    Anybody else receiving double messages on PING??
    10-02-2009 02:10 AM
    I don't know about everyone else but I think one of the great things about modern social media is just being able to chat it up with people you would otherwise never encounter. Ping, while buggy and still very green, is an awesome way to do this without having to give out your personal phone number right away. I think it's awesome and can't wait for the updates!
    And to all of you who are now my Ping buddies- thanks for the "pingies" lmao
    10-02-2009 05:13 AM
    ...And now some words from the "Peanut Gallery"!

And then there's the worser days... you know, like when she's cheering for Auburn...
    10-02-2009 07:33 AM
    I don't know about everyone else but I think one of the great things about modern social media is just being able to chat it up with people you would otherwise never encounter.
    You are absolutely right MrP!! I had a nice conversation with a Ping buddy from Switzerland the other day.

A guy from Alabama talking with someone from Switzerland. Now that something you don't see every day!
    10-02-2009 07:37 AM
    ...And now some words from the "Peanut Gallery"!
    I knew you'd sniff that comment out!!
    10-02-2009 08:30 AM
    I love WhatsApp it's like texting but free. I don't mind the whole number thing because I only use it to talk to friends, co-workers, and family who already have my number anyway.
    10-02-2009 09:11 AM
    Ping! 1.1 has been submitted on Sept 30.
    Changelog:
    NEW FEATURE - unregistering Ping! ID
    Fixed landscape keyboard
    Fixed occasional duplicate messages
    Fixed notification settings icon
    In-app invitation email
    Added localization for German, French, Spanish, Dutch, Italian
    10-02-2009 12:47 PM
    Ditto! And, sometimes I can click, and click into the text box, and nothing happens.

Also, I typed someone's ID in, and sent a message. But, I sent it to the wrong ID, so I re-entered the ID correctly, but, it won't accept said ID, and move to the text field.

Needless to say, I've now deleted the app
    Same thing happened to me. I had to have the person send me a message instead.
    10-03-2009 01:43 PM
    Gonna try em out, I'll let you know.
    10-03-2009 05:56 PM
    I've been using Ping for a few days and apart from the issues listed above it's good

as I use a touch and not an iPhone and therefore have no phone number, can I still register for an account on Whatapps?

Thanks

from a Newbie
    10-04-2009 08:48 AM
    Unfortunately, not at this time. WhatsApp only supports the iPhone, according to their Website's FAQ page.
    10-04-2009 09:28 AM
    Ahh thanks. Better stick to Ping then. it's a shame u can't see whose online tho
    10-04-2009 10:04 AM
    These apps both have some issues, but I have to point out that the native iPhone SMS interface also does. I lose texts and MMSs from it as well! The Ping! dupes are irritating, but the developer seems to be responsive and working hard on it, so I'm going to keep using it and wait to see what he comes up with next.
    10-04-2009 12:59 PM
    These apps both have some issues, but I have to point out that the native iPhone SMS interface also does. I lose texts and MMSs from it as well! The Ping! dupes are irritating, but the developer seems to be responsive and working hard on it, so I'm going to keep using it and wait to see what he comes up with next.
    while we wait to see what he comes up with next, I will say check out the ITIM social networking app which allows you to send and receive photos and text messaging right to your iphone
    10-04-2009 01:29 PM
    I deleted ping from my phone. Too buggy for me. I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you if you ping me. Hopefully a new update will he coming soon and I'll try it again.
    10-08-2009 07:27 AM
    Apparently, 1.1 was submitted to Apple. Just awaiting approval.

I deleted ping from my phone. Too buggy for me. I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you if you ping me. Hopefully a new update will he coming soon and I'll try it again.
    10-08-2009 08:16 AM
    Apparently, 1.1 was submitted to Apple. Just awaiting approval.
    Hopefully they have addressed the problems. It is a cool app in concept. It just needs to work.
    10-08-2009 08:32 AM
    hi all

neither whatsapp nor Ping! works with my iPhone
    my iPhone is jailbroken .. used redsn0w and 3.0 firmm.

i have a friend with "officially unlocked" iPhone and whatsapp works great with him

any ideas?
    10-08-2009 08:57 AM
104 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD