Hi everyone

It's so difficult to find anything in the app store - - 75,000 plus apps and only 20 categories. I think we can make a difference by letting Apple know we would like more categories - - not to mention a good housecleaning. Lots of apps are just plain junk. Anyway - - here is the link to let them know we want more categories - Apple - Feedback
    09-23-2009 04:37 PM
    The new Genius function should help.. based on what apps you have liked it should be able to match you up with the others that are similar.
    09-24-2009 10:11 AM
    thanks for the tip about Genius - -

but new releases of various kinds seems to be all mixed together; for example the 'reference' category has apps listed that really do not fit that category.

perhaps if we keep writing to Apple they will make some improvements in the app store. we can hope . . .
    09-25-2009 10:23 AM
    you should look @ PandoraBox
    09-25-2009 10:46 AM
    you should look @ PandoraBox
    thanks for that . . . .
    09-26-2009 10:41 AM
    Also check out AppMiner....lets you check out newly added apps, watch apps, will tell you which apps are currently on sale, andlets you search the app store.
    09-26-2009 11:15 AM
    I've found Genius to be kinda useless. The apps it recommends are things I just don't want. They need to use NetFlix's algorithm!
    09-30-2009 03:24 AM
    Let's keep the pressure on . . . here's the feedback link to let Apple know how we feel about the app store mess

Apple - Feedback
    09-30-2009 09:59 AM
    I think part of the problem is that the various blogs -- sadly including this one to some extent -- don't do a good job beyond reviewing (1) the heavies (navigation apps), and (2) games. For example, I purchased a GREAT app to review the security cameras around our house. It's amazing, and incredibly intuitive. The user reviews, as always, are so so -- people upset that (1) it costs more than $1.99 (hey, don't buy it, but it's worth $24.95), and (2) can't figure out how to configure it (which the developer will help you with). I've never seen this app reviewed by anybody.

It's hard to blame iPhone-specific blogs to some extent, since these are more specialized apps that are beyond the domain of such blogs. But the problem is that they're not being reviewed by, say, domain-specific blogs (security camera blogs, for instance).

I think one way Apple can alleviate this problem is to have an affiliate program. Sellers can choose to sign up affiliates, who can then market apps on their web sites and get a percentage (app developer determined) of the proceeds. In the example app I've mentioned, there are a lot of security camera vendors who could easily put this thing on their web site, make a few extra bucks off the sale of the app, and then provide support (for instance) of setting up cameras that they sell if you buy the app from them.
    10-01-2009 02:06 AM
    I think part of the problem is that the various blogs -- sadly including this one to some extent -- don't do a good job beyond reviewing (1) the heavies (navigation apps), and (2) games. For example, I purchased a GREAT app to review the security cameras around our house. It's amazing, and incredibly intuitive. The user reviews, as always, are so so -- people upset that (1) it costs more than $1.99 (hey, don't buy it, but it's worth $24.95), and (2) can't figure out how to configure it (which the developer will help you with). I've never seen this app reviewed by anybody.

It's hard to blame iPhone-specific blogs to some extent, since these are more specialized apps that are beyond the domain of such blogs. But the problem is that they're not being reviewed by, say, domain-specific blogs (security camera blogs, for instance).

I think one way Apple can alleviate this problem is to have an affiliate program. Sellers can choose to sign up affiliates, who can then market apps on their web sites and get a percentage (app developer determined) of the proceeds. In the example app I've mentioned, there are a lot of security camera vendors who could easily put this thing on their web site, make a few extra bucks off the sale of the app, and then provide support (for instance) of setting up cameras that they sell if you buy the app from them.
    I agree completely. There are many apps that are user specific and you never hear about them. Your idea is terrific.
    10-01-2009 11:15 AM
    I've found this site pretty helpful in finding apps... App Shopper: iPhone Apps, Deals and Discovery
    10-01-2009 01:55 PM
    I've found this site pretty helpful in finding apps... App Shopper: iPhone Apps, Deals and Discovery
    looks like a good resource . . thanks for that
    10-03-2009 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD