****, $.99 (sale)

Pros:
  • Great graphics
  • Cool weapons
  • Multiplayer

Cons:
  • Canon controls are a little difficult
  • Multiple enemies sometimes means luck plays a large role

Canon games - I love them. For some reason, I don't know why. Maybe it is the mathematics of trying to calculate firing angle and shot power. Maybe it is just blowing stuff up. But there are a few for the iPhone, and Kil.a.ton recently came out. In my opinion, it may be the best of the ones I have reviewed.

In Kil.a.ton, you start off with a variety of play modes - scenario (campaign), custom (controlling the various factors), and online. Let's start with scenario.

In scenario mode, you progress through various campaigns, trying to outlast your enemies, building up enough points to "win" the battles. Most battles consist of multiple rounds, so don't fret if you don't come out on top right away. As with all canon games, your goal is to kill your enemies before they kill you. Sounds simple. And with just one enemy it often is. But with different difficulty settings, multiple on-screen enemies, and different weapon types, it gets complicated very quickly.

The different difficulty settings allow for easy to beat or almost impossible to beat enemies. Multiple enemies means you aren't just targeting one opponent - and sometimes there are multiple people targeting you! This means that due to bad luck (everyone shooting at you) you might be eliminated very quickly. After each round you have the option of purchasing weapon upgrades - ranging from rolling mines to nukes to machine guns. Buy them carefully, they can really help out in the right situation!

The different campaign scenarios each have a different "theme" - which varies the difficulty, number of enemies, shot clock, and number of rounds. As you complete (and win) each one, you reach various statistical objectives, which are kept track for you.

The custom mode allows for you to design your own scenario - controlling difficulty, number of enemies (including other players), and all other factors except the terrain itself. On a side note, it would be cool to come up with a terrain editor option! With the other players turned on, each of you controls a different tank, and you can "pass the iPhone" when playing.

Lastly, there is an online mode, to play people via 3G/edge or wifi. You can check out online tournaments, compete against others, and get ranked worldwide. I wish there was an option for local play (say, via bluetooth) but this is GREAT!

The range of weaponry available to you is nice. It is not overwhelming and presents a nice array of options to choose from. One drawback is the control for firing your weapon (and choosing your angle of fire). It is less than precise. Maybe that is the goal, but I found the controls...not difficult, but frustrating due to their imprecision. The graphics were very nice, and the sounds fit in well with the game.

All in all, I would call this one of the top "canon style" games I have seen for the iPhone. It puts together everything in a complete package that doesn't disappoint. Since it is currently on sale for $.99 (normally $2.99 like when I got it), I would say run out and buy it right now if you like this kind of game. Four and a half out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77