TomTom or Navigon?

soulfulzeta

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Will Navigon give you the street names also? I hate GPS apps that only tell you what to do according to how many feet away. I need something that's going to give me names.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Has anybody tried the TomTom kit with Navigon software? The built-in GPS sucks even when I hold it in my hand outside!

dock connnected hardware and software have to wok together in the app programming. This means navigon would need to work with tomtom to use it

taroliw

Apr 5, 2005
www.billsden.org
Will Navigon give you the street names also? I hate GPS apps that only tell you what to do according to how many feet away. I need something that's going to give me names.
It both displays the name and audibly announces it using text-to-speech... quite effectively, too, I might add.

matrixlawn

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody tried the TomTom kit with Navigon software? The built-in GPS sucks even when I hold it in my hand outside!

Dunno about tomtom kit but I had a problem with bad behaving GPS also. The problem was solved as soon as I did put WLAN active. They seem to be connected somehow. Now I have my iPhone 3gs laying landscape behind the steering wheel and working just fine. Not loosing GPS connection like ever.

iempty

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
i have a navigon GPS (real GPS, not on my iphone)

the design is great and i'm satisfied of it.
I guess the navigator software is close on iPhone to the standalone GPS versions one.

If I have to choose a GPS soft for iPhone one day, I think I will choose Navigon one !

taroliw

Apr 5, 2005
www.billsden.org
If you haven't been following them on Facebook, Twitter, or their Macworld activities.... The next iPhone app version is due out in Spring (one reply said end of March) and will further close the gap between iPhone and Navigon's hardware device features. Looks like some exciting stuff!

Some might still complain of the iPhone's smaller display (as compared to some Navigon models), but I've found it quite usable in general. My only request would be to slightly increase font sizes on some items (like the speed limit display, road names). It's not so much because I'm blind (my vision is fine), but when your iphone is at arm's length and vibrating on a car mount, it can be really difficult to read the displayed items sometimes.

iempty

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I confirm for the font size, it is one of the only things I don't like with my Navigon hardware device.

I like viewing the current speed at any moment, but it is as small as the other elements (altitude, time before arrival, ...)

It should be nice to choose the font size for these elements, and put the current speed bigger !

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh