Review: Mobile Maps by Sygic...and a contest!!

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Having night mode is a great feature - xGPS has it, but I'm not sure of any of the other GPS apps which do. One other nice feature (which AT&T Navigator has) is the ability to call a phone number (or go online in advance) to enter an address, then it shows up in the favorites list.

Every app I have reviewed has a night mode.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Congratulations, ScottUrman, you are the winner!

As soon as I get the promo code from Sygic, I will PM it to you.

Chris

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I picked up this app after reading about it. The only issue I've had with it is dropping GPS signal, and tends to take 30 seconds or so to catch back up. I used it to plot my drive to work from my current address, and my soon to be ( 1 week...YIKES ) future address, and all the directions very quite sensible.

I plotted a few trips to friends houses to see if it would recommend the same way I had taken before and it did, so I'm pretty pleased with it so far, minus the dropping of signal. I really like the ability to preview the route, it's slick :)

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
The only one I have had a problem with dropped signal is iGo.

I wonder what the root cause is?

At first I thought it was interference from the Kensington Car Charger ( Kensington Car Charger Deluxe for iPhone and iPod - Apple Store (U.S.) ), so I took it out of there, but it still occurred once more outside the charger ( just being held in my hand, around dashboard level ).

I need to play with it more, it could have just been a bad day I suppose. I need to use it a bit more to really get a good feeling on how much the signal will drop when in use, but overall I do like the software and the text to speech and the contacts integration will be a welcome addition with the next version.

jhetzel

Dec 16, 2001
Visit site
Great review! My suggestion for this app. I think the ability to control music (skip fw/bw, pause, etc..) would be a solid feature to include in the future. I utilize a car docking station that broadcasts through my radio. SInce I use the Ipod for music it would be nice to not have to exit Sygic to control music.

This is a nice-to-have feature and one I beleive iNav MyWay is implementing. I think it should be common feature for all nav apps on iPhone.

It also appears a new update from Sygic is pending App Store approval. The new features include:

▪ text-to-speech - voice guidance announcing the name of the next street or road (specific regions only).
▪ Choose addresses straight from iPhone contacts.
▪ Music playback fades out smoothly so you can better hear the voice instructions.
▪ Improved GPS lock, now faster than ever.
▪ Smoother position display as you follow your route.
▪ Increased font size of street names and information bars for improved readability.
▪ No disclaimer warning message after completion of phone call.

Last edited:

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Sygic just released an update that includes features like text-to-speech, contact integration, better music playback, better GPS, and smoother display.

I am trying it out, and I like the text-to speech and contact integration. Haven't tried the other things yet.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice