My new app, Chore Bank, solves two parenting problems I was having. One problem is how much money is appropriate to give kids for allowance. And the second was getting my kids to do their chores every day.

My previous method of handling my kids' allowances was not working. Previously, my kids would receive a set $ amount per week as an allowance. in a separate agreement, they were expected to do a set of weekly chores. Often I would find that the chores were not done, but my kids still expected their allowance! I told them they needed to complete their chores, or they would not get their allowance. Sometimes one child did their chores, but the other didn't. As you can imagine, this often resulted in lies and bickering come allowance time.

I knew I needed to tie the two concepts together in a no nonsense manner. Get your chores done, and you are a fully functional member of this household who deserves some spending money. That was the inspiration for Chore Bank (aka Bank of Dad); it's an iPhone app.
    Chore Bank allows me to check off chores as they get done. Each checked chore updates the child's account with whatever monetary value I have associated with that particular chore. The sum of all the child's weekly chores is roughly equal to their previous allowance. Since I started using the Chore Bank, there are no more arguments about allowances or chores. My kids want their allowance, so they do their chores. And they actually seek additional chores to do, in order to earn more allowance. This little app has saved a lot of anguish in my family.

The Chore Bank also acts as a savings account. More information can be found at my website: Chore Bank for iPhone
    08-19-2009 02:06 PM
    Thats a really cute idea. I dont personally have kids, but I would use it if I did!

Im gunna suggest it to a few of my friends who do have them!

Nice job!
    08-19-2009 02:17 PM
    Really nice idea, I think I could use this with my colleagues as well
    08-20-2009 10:03 AM
    Hello there,
    I have just joined this forum and hope to continue for a long time.
    11-20-2009 03:49 AM
    A real good motivation for the kids to do chores. Let me too share my experiences with this matter. I found this website kidrewardzone.com. Luckily I did not need to have this iphone for this purpose. It was for my personal use. This website proved a real boon to me and my kids. They are now responsible for all the chores they do and reap benefits in the way of their allowance.
    11-20-2009 10:06 AM
    Thats pretty cool
    11-20-2009 10:48 AM
    I like the concept
    11-20-2009 12:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD