Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other/None

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Sygic Mobile Maps - works fairly well with many features including maps stored on the iPhone itself.

AT&T Navigation - Good if you want to spend 10 bucks a month. I get it for free so I'm not complaining.

G-Maps - Again, works fairly well. Maps are also stored on phone.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
AT&T - Is actually fairly cheap. Tom Tom costs $99, that's 10 months with the AT&T... or 3months copared to G-map, a normal GPS would cost you $100+.

I like the AT&T namely becuase it's easier to search for locations much like you might do in the Maps.app. However, G-map, does not use an internet connection

I understand what you are saying but I look at it differently. If you plan on using an iPhone for a year or more, or plan on purchasing the new iPhone you are better off buying something other than one with a monthly fee. That's just my take on it.

*Plus having the maps built into the app is priceless.

Last edited:

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Just an FYI, I will be reviewing iGo and Sygic shortly. Hopefully TomTom as well.

So far I prefer Navigon due to the on-board maps, but I feel there are some things that could be improved.

Chris

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Here's a link to various links re: my experiences with the GPS apps. IGO, Co-Pilot, and TomTom are not included...they weren't out at the time that I wrote these reviews:

http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphone-apps-games/175467-gps-mini-review-navigon-north-america.html

For the record: I use AT&T Navigator by Telenav and TomTom as my 2 main GPS apps. I've owned/tried all the rest (excluding IGO and Co-Pilot), and these were the only 2 that I felt were solid enough and well-rounded enough to use on a daily basis. YMMV.

The last GPS app that I'm waiting for is Garmin...it's gonna happen, sooner or later...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
If that app updates their app with new maps and charges in-app to upgrade or create a yearly version, then having to re-purchase the app might not be a fun thing to encounter. Just another thing to keep in mind.

Well they can not charge a yearly fee unless it specified at the time of purchase. And how often to you need to update the maps? Not that often at all. Even if they did update maps the cost wouldn't be close to what you'd pay monthly. I'll take the risk.

croush

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
I use, and am fine with the functionality of, xGPS (Cydia). Free.

In fact, I typically just rely on the built-in Maps app to get me where I'm going, as I'm not a total sheep. My philosophy: if you have no idea where you are, or how you got there except "I turned when it said to turn..," you'll be completely hosed when the GPS blinks.

As a rule, I try to use my iPhone as a complement to my own abilities, not a supplement. Still, thanks all for the informative opinions on the App Store GPS Apps.

ptb6744#IM

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I use AT&T navigator.. I won a contest for Telenav so I don't have to pay for it, its a pretty sweet service, even for $9.99 per month.

jesikae2009

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
G-Maps

I use G-Maps East - I'm pretty satisfied with it - although I am considering TomTom - AT&T is not an option for me - just because I prefer not to pay monthly for the service if I don't have to:eek:

trock4u

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm Using Navigon the UI is very good and smooth also trying Sygic for US but keep crashing on the demo route when crossing states, I'm planning on trying Sygic today on my way to Kansas from Missouri.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
I use, and am fine with the functionality of, xGPS (Cydia). Free.

In fact, I typically just rely on the built-in Maps app to get me where I'm going, as I'm not a total sheep. My philosophy: if you have no idea where you are, or how you got there except "I turned when it said to turn..," you'll be completely hosed when the GPS blinks.

As a rule, I try to use my iPhone as a complement to my own abilities, not a supplement. Still, thanks all for the informative opinions on the App Store GPS Apps.

To each his own. I on the other hand travel for a living and will wind up in a city I have never been to before. All I have is an address. A good GPS unit is key. My abilities to navigate are meaningless and looking down at a map can get downright dangerous. With a GPS unit (or Iphone) on your dash, you can follow along almost through your peripheral vision. Sounds like you really dont have the need for a standalone unit or software package. Some do. Doesnt make them sheep.

kbduvall

Aug 19, 2009
www.duvalltech.com
I've been finding addresses all day for a living for almost a decade now.. before GPS was a viable solution for consumers and even before there was an easy way to use digital maps. The good ol days of using an actual map book. I can actually find an address and navigate to it faster using a map than I can with gps. I wouldn't mind having a gps app, but given my proficiency with a map; it would be foolish to pay for one.

I couldn't find xGPS in the app store. Know where I can get it?

If anyone else knows of any good free ones let me know :)

ScottUrman

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I couldn't find xGPS in the app store. Know where I can get it?

xGPS is only for jailbroken phones, and can be downloaded through Cydia. One feature of xGPS which I like is that it offers both downloaded and on the fly maps - if you don't have the map it will download it, but then it is cached for future use. And you can download map tiles in advance for your planned route in case you go out of range.

The xGPS developers are planning an App Store release in the near future, check out xGPS – GPS for iPhone / iPod touch.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox