Telenav major issue

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Ok, so I'm I'm Kansas city right now with the family doing school shopping. I was excited to try out telenav on the road instead of just locally. I have a big problem. Fr some reason, I can't use the app and charge the phone at the same time!! It's almost like the phone is using more juice faster than the car charger can provide it. I ended up switching to google maps at the last minute! I am very upset as I never haD this issue with my bold. I like the program, but if I'm down to 30 percent battery an hour into the trip and have turn off the app to recharge then what's the point? Anyone else have issues like this with the app? I'm at a loss.

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
One advantage that GPS apps (like G-Map, Sygic, etc) have over streaming GPS apps (like Telenav, Gokivo, Google Maps) is that they pre-load the maps onto your iPhone (that's why they take up to 2GB in size; they're huge).

So apps like Sygic don't drain as much battery power as Telenav because they don't have to stream the entire map. On the flipside however, apps like Telenav don't hog up hardware space on your phone and the map data is always up to date. Map updates for TomTom, for example, can cost around $80 a year.

Getting back to your question: yes, an app like Telenav does take a LOT of power to use. Your battery should be at least 3/4 full before using Telenav.

Last edited:

ScottUrman

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I've seen the same thing. I would be charging at first (the battery percentage would increase), but then it would just stop and the battery would start going back down. I remember somewhere that if the iPhone gets too hot it will stop charging, even though it's still plugged in. Maybe that's it.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
i'm not sure what the deal was. i was at 100 percent when i hit the road for the trip, the phone started making sounds like it was being plugged in, then unplugged. around an hour into the trip, i noticed that the phone was hot, not overly, but warmish. i figured since it was near the windshield that might have done it. then i checked the battery meter and noticed it was at 30 percent!!! thats when i gave up and turned it off. ended up using google maps the rest of the time there. thanks for all the information though thats been given. i guess i'll be cancelling telenav and saving up for tomtom. hopefully it wont have the same issues.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
30%???? Wow, how long were you using it? It's usually around 60-70% for a nice 15-20 minute ride.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
i drove to Kansas City MO, thats around 3 hours away, by midway, it was at 30%!!! isnt that just crazy?!?!?!?!!?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal