GV via google.com/voice/m/

aussie23454

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
im trying to figure this out (i just switched from BB where GV worked..!)-

i'll probably just jailbreak to get GV, but i wanted to check something first. if i log into google voice via safari, and then dial a number, it calls ME, then i answer, and then it connects to the number i originally dialed. this uses my ATT minutes, right? My wife is VZN (i just switched from them) and because calling her all the time now actually uses my minutes, so i want to use my GV, but im slightly confuzed..haha.

thanks...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
That's the way GV works. That's the way it has always worked. If you use GV on your desktop, it will call whatever number you want to make the call from - like a land line, if you don't want to waste the minutes.

Was it not using your minutes from the BB, or did you just not notice it was coming out of your bill?

aussie23454

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
That's the way GV works. That's the way it has always worked. If you use GV on your desktop, it will call whatever number you want to make the call from - like a land line, if you don't want to waste the minutes.

Was it not using your minutes from the BB, or did you just not notice it was coming out of your bill?

on the BB, it used the GV app to directly connect to the number via data. my phone never actually initialized a phone call, and in my call history nothing showed up. on the iphone, if i use the above method, it uses my minutes - the call shows up in my call history. i guess ill just have to jailbreak and use the GV app to get the same thing i had on the blackberry.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
It didn't run on data. It's just that it was seamless and appeared to be that way. If you go back and check your bill, you will see calls to your GV number.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Let me ask this:rolleyes:......You have a GV # and you have Skype on your iPhone. Could you not dial with your GV# via Skype on your iPhone?

Over a WiFi connection of course. No Skype over 3G yet.:(

aussie23454

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
i ended up just jailbreaking and using 3g unrestrictor to enable skype over 3G. i already have a Skype unlimited account, so just using that for now. its really only for calling my wife: she can use her work bb for personal and its vzn, so i just call her on skype to reduce the minutes used (she has unlimited).

thanks for the clarification..!

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
You could only do that if you have a Skype number.

Brickman...you don't have GV, do you.

I actually have two GV numbers.:cool: I got them back when it was Grand Central. I have just been using Skype as an Office phone longer.

My set up is a little convoluted. GV is my published Office number. Calls comes into GV and Gv forwards to my Skype #. Skype rings at my Office. I have a Skype WiFi handset phone, so it rings the Handset and my computer. All via WiFi of course. If I do not answer, GV answers and person leaves a VM on GV. GV then emails me a notification, to my Gmail, and sends a text to my iPhone. I then can log into GV via Safai. Listen to my message and determine if I need to call back right then or not.

Right now GV is just an answering service for me. Allows me to respond to Office VM quickly. I am trying to re-evaluate my set up. It works fine but I think that there might be a better way. I have seen the links for Gizmodo but I just have not tried them out yet.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Not a bad price at all - but still more expensive than a Magic Jack (which I LOVE!).

I hate their stupid commercials :)

Plus, I hate when you can't find the price of something. It's no where on the website that I could find. Just click here for free trial, nothing about what it will cost after.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods