Tom Tom Car Kit Pricing Details...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunder God

Aug 29, 2004
Visit site
Look at this video I found on YouTube - iPhone per Tom Tom

that is an old video. it was shown a whiles ago.

looks good. problem is i dont want to take my phone out of the case everytime i would use this.

i was wondering the same thing. i hope that mounts let us stick a phone with a sedio case on it, in it.

I do not see this selling not thru the App store... Do you really think Apple would push this at the developers conference if it was a free app having the service sold via an outsource payment system... This is going to be one of Apples premium $100 plus apps... Via the App they can even sell the carkit and mail it to you.

if we buy it through the app store and they ship that bracket straight to us, $200 is not that bad.

the only other gps program i am looking at is the igo from the app store. has anyone tried that one?

peter7921

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Dont forget things always cost more in the UK because of the import tax they have.

I predict the Tom Tom cradle plus app will be about $150 US.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
I am having 2nd thoughts about using the iPhone as a PND:

1. I need to use the iPhone to play music during my long distance trips. So, the navigation app must work right with the iPod playing in the background.

2. While the ipod is playing in the background and the nav app is on screen, both have to deal with incoming and outgoing phone calls and resume the music and the navigation when the call is done.

That may be too much to ask.. I may be better off with a separate PND (like a Garmin, my favorite) and use the iPhone for music and phone calls (which it has been designed to do simultaneously).

The iPhone (to me) is primarily a phone and an iPod. I don't want to compromise those functions.

The main benefit of it as a PND (provided it doesn't interfere with the above functions) is the internet connectivity, ie, better traffic, better (updated) POI, road construction info etc. Since the iPhone has a microphone, it could be used for voice control of the navigation app. I doubt that the 1st generation of the PND apps for the iPhone will be able to pull it off.

But, we shall see ...But, if the TomTom with the mounting hardware can do all this and is comparable to buying a separate PND in cost then it becomes a contender.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
I take the point made above. the iphone in the car for me is primarily a phone and an ipod.

sat nav is an occasional extra. so I'm seriously considering getting the co-pilot live software and then running it off a belkin tune base fm cradle.

so I'm mainly music and calls hands free and then when I make the occasional trip I have satnav software that doesn't cost a bomb.

the other negative for me on the tom tom is the fact that the music support is an AUX lead, well my car doesn't have an aux input, so short of buying an AUX type FM transmitter I wouldn't get my music using the tom tom cradle anyway.

but before making any buying decision I'm waiting for the tom tom to come out and be reviewed and compared. I'm sure tomtom will totally nail the sat nav part, that's a given but its not the only part of this package from the viewpoint of a buying decision.

jlc

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
Considering a refurb GPS can be had for $70, $200 for Tom Tom is a bit steep. I has Tom Tom on my Treo and it's a nice app; but I'll probably stick with my cheap Magellan refurb.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
It's WAY to much. $99 and we have a deal.
CAR KIT FOR IPHONE IPHONE3G IPHONE3GS
Image not yet available for the CAR KIT FOR IPHONE IPHONE3G IPHONE3GS
BLT Item #: BCA2728
Manufacturer: TOMTOM
Mfg. Part #: 9UOB.017.00
UPC Code: 636926032964
Weight: 0.75 lbs
Specs: See Below
Availability: See Below

Your Price: $87.61

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Considering a refurb GPS can be had for $70, $200 for Tom Tom is a bit steep. I has Tom Tom on my Treo and it's a nice app; but I'll probably stick with my cheap Magellan refurb.

If all one wants is navigation..........

In any case, one is now down to $185. The car kit is now cheaper than the software.

alexpnn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Car Navigation System required: London Taxi Company

HI ,

We are a taxi company Hummingbird Cars in London. We provide Airport Transfer service from all london airports.

We have recently started our new business and we require to buy Car navigation system or Tom Toms . Can anyone suggest which company is the best and where we can get the best deals.

Thank you

Alex

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
HI ,

We are a taxi company Hummingbird Cars in London. We provide Airport Transfer service from all london airports.

We have recently started our new business and we require to buy Car navigation system or Tom Toms . Can anyone suggest which company is the best and where we can get the best deals.

Thank you

Alex
A few things to consider. How many are you talking about? If it is less than a dozen, you probably cannot save enough money on quantity to cover a big investment in research. Your drivers will save more money in a week than you can spend on nav.

You are talking about London where drivers spend months to years just qualifying on "the knowledge." Ideally, one would like a lot of that knowledge encapsulated in one's nav system. I would not be surprised if one system or another worked better in London than its competitors. However, we do not know that on this side of the pond. Take a ride with your competitors and see what they say.

Your drivers will spend some time telling the nav system the destination. Systems vary in how easy this is to do. Of those that I have used, I find the TomTom the easiest to set up trips. Consider where and when the driver will do this. I prefer portable systems to built in ones because I can plan trips before I even get in the car.

The first nav systems that I saw in taxis were in Rome and they were TomTom. This was well before nav systems were the consumer items that they are today. Navigating in Rome must be more similar to London than in New York.

Finally, professional drivers need a system that can obtain and use traffic information. In the states, this service can cost more in a year than you will spend for the device.

You are right that this is a very important decision, one that can save your fleet hundreds of pounds a year. However, your decision should focus more on the potential savings than the initial cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro