Camera Flash app

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I bought the camera flash app the other day for $1.99 and it does pretty well. I took a photo in one of my extra bedrooms with mediocre light(1 60 watt light bulb from ceiling fan) and then another photo using the camera flash app with the same light. I was quite impressed. I was previously was using a Blackberry 8900 and it has camera flash. Using the iPhone 3GS without flash was hard to adjust to until I got the new app. Here are the pics to see what kind of difference it makes.

Before
Flash1.jpg

After
flash2.jpg

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
That's a pretty impressive difference. Can you post the originals somewhere, so we can see if there's any degredation in the quality?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
How in the world does it work?

The app automatically detects how much light is needed and makes the adjustments. You just use the camera flash app to take the pic. The first pic was taken using the regular camera and second pic was taken with the camera flash app.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
As a photographer the second photo looks really bad to me.

The black shirt has major artifacting and the whites are over exposed, losing detail

Here's the catch- people usually don't care about detail in the shadows. It's the detail in the light areas that makes or breaks a photo.

This app does not add light to a scene, it's just artificially lightening a photo. When you do this the photo comes out worse than it would have. You'd be better to add light to the scene.

It may be what you want to look at on screen but don't ever expect to print the photos and have them look amazing.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Your not always going to have a chance to add light to the scene. Also, most people who are trying to play photographer will not be using their iPhone to take pics.

blackout128

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
I got this app too. I think it works pretty well for what I use it for. I had a ATT 8525 for 2 years(has a flash) and going to a phone without one sucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2