Apple Rejects Official Google Voice App...

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
IMO, google should release the app to jail-broken phones.

Apple Is Growing Rotten To The Core: Official Google Voice App Blocked From App Store

Apple Yanks The Cord On GV Mobile. Is It Trying To Kill Google Voice On The iPhone?'

tech crunch's take on the issue is that Google Voice apps are being removed at the request of AT&T... thank god AT&T now has a say in what apps are getting approved thru the store, we weren't having enough of a fun time trying to figure out what Apple was doing when they reject some apps, and approve others... Way to go Apple!

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Wow, just wow. There are plenty of apps that let you send free texts already; AIM, Yahoo, Beejive etc. Google voice also has no cell network so I don't see how it hurts AT&T because you still have to pay them.

Can't believe I'm even thinking this but honestly the HTC Touch Pro 2 or one of the new Android phones are looking even sweeter now if this is how Apple is going to roll.

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Wow, just wow. There are plenty of apps that let you send free texts already; AIM, Yahoo, Beejive etc. Google voice also has no cell network so I don't see how it hurts AT&T because you still have to pay them.

Can't believe I'm even thinking this but honestly the HTC Touch Pro 2 or one of the new Android phones are looking even sweeter now if this is how Apple is going to roll.

The major point here is that AT&T can't make money off the app and it uses their network to place calls and send text.

That is why there needs to be another co. that offers the iPhone to make AT&T back the eff down.

I was laughing my ass off a while back on another forum because people were saying that Apple could pull rank on AT&T. This shows how much Apple is being held back by AT&T. Apple's deal with AT&T is Apple dancing with the devil as far as I'm concerned.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
It doesn't have to run off their network, Skype is blocked over 3G. Why can't Google Voice (the voice part) be off limits to 3G as well? And like I said; AIM, Yahoo, Beejive and a dozen or so other apps in the app store let you send free texts as well and never use AT&T.

Another carrier wouldn't do anything, Verizon is even tighter than AT&T. Maybe Tmobile but I'm not going back there.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
These apps do use AT&T. It uses data to send/receive them. I see why AT&T would say no to the app. I'm sure other carriers would do it as well if they had a lock on application installs like Apple does with iTunes.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
GV isn't even like skype (yet). All calls made to and from the GV number go over your regular cell phone mins! I doubt att had anything to do with this, if they did it doesn't make sense.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
GV isn't even like skype (yet). All calls made to and from the GV number go over your regular cell phone mins! I doubt att had anything to do with this, if they did it doesn't make sense.

I was thinking the same... I just wasn't sure, haven't used GV since it was GC.

cre8tivspirit

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
Since AT&T is still, IMO, the best carrier out there for service and customer support (I haven't had any of the problems that some people report having with them), I'll stick with them but I've been giving some serious thought to going back to the Blackberry for my phone. I'd miss a lot of things about the iPhone itself for sure but I am getting a little tired of Apple's iron grip of what we can/can't do with the device. Even jailbreaking has gotten to be a pain in the @ss.
Having to re-break, once its available, everytime a update to the OS comes out just to get the ability to make my iPhone look and sound a little different from everyone else's is a bit ridiculous.

I'm starting to remember why I never bought Apple products in the past.

What's the going rate on a 16gb black iPhone 3G that is jailbroken and unlocked?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

You are right on the money here. I'm not sure what the commotion is all about. I've been using Google Voice for two years as Grand Central. I didn't need an app for it. I'm not even sure what the advantages would be to having an app for it. If I get a call via my GV number and I don't want it to ring through to my cell phone, I have it set up to not ring through...I don't need an app with push notification to let me know the phone is ringing. That seems rather counter-intuitive. If I get voicemail on my GV account, it sends me both a text message and an email with the mp3 attached. I don't need an app for that either. If I wanted to use IM with push rather than simple SMS, I would. GV gives you traditional and simple sms - which the carrier charges you for.

The number of people who wanted a GV number to get around sms charges are probably limited, and they will tire of the runaround in short order. Those of us using GV as a business addition...we don' need no steenkin' app.

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
Alli, GV apps like GV Mobile allows you to place a call that will show a caller ID of your Google Voice number. This is so your callers have a nice continuity. They call you on your Google Voice number and they receive a call from your Google Voice number.

If this is in fact AT&T's doing, it could be because Google Voice makes it easier to change carriers as your Google Voice becomes your main number.
Although... I think this is Apple flexing its muscle just like they did with Palm. Google is slowly encroaching into Apple's territory and they don't like it.

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I understand that. As I said, I've been using it for 2 years. So far, outgoing calls is the only reason that you would need the app, and with the addition of sms, there's actually a work around to it...if the person has sent you a sms, it comes through showing a GV code, but you still have the option of calling that person through the sms app. Doing so shows your GV number.

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
Most of my contacts do not use SMS to reach me. Either they call me or I call them. GV Mobile is essential if I want to be able to fully utilize Google Voice.

Without GV Mobile I wouldn't be able to direct dial anyone in my phone book unless I write down their number and called my Voice number and dialed through there.

So an app is essential to me. I wish Apple would just allow it and quit it with the excuse of duplication of functionality.

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
You can but it takes many more steps to do even something as rudimentary as dialing a number or looking up a contact in the latter part of your phone book.

Many apps can be duplicated on the web. It doesn't mean there is no need for a native version.

If Apple were to pull Pocket Informant and told you to use a web version that was not finger optimized you would be in the same boat as me.

Try making a direct dial and one to a contact on the fifth page of the contact list from GV Mobile and now try to duplicate it from Safari. An app is essential especially if I'm on the road trying to dial out.

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Gosh, so many times I wanted to post in this thread but didn't.

I can't believe that people here can't see why AT&T wouldn't want this app squashed.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro