You recently posted about favorite apps and I had a question for you about Nike+. When using an iPhone 3GS, do you know if you can use Nike+ while watching videos, playing games or browsing the web? I can't get a good answer from Apple, and I work out in the gym on the treadmill but play Star Defense, browse web or watch videos and I was hoping someone who has the setup I have can tell me if this is possible? Or do you have to have your iPod app running for Nike+ to work. Thanks!
    Last edited by jamesus; 07-23-2009 at 10:46 AM. Reason: changed thread title
    07-19-2009 01:57 PM
    You're best off PMing him.
    07-19-2009 06:36 PM
    He can't PM him not enough posts
    07-19-2009 06:44 PM
    I was told by Rene this was the best way to reach him:

'Jamesus is one of our forum mods, so just head on over to [forums] and give him a shout'

If someone could PM him with a reference to this post I'd be much obliged!
    07-19-2009 07:20 PM
    I will right now.
    07-19-2009 07:37 PM
    i'd guess that since the iPhone doesn't allow back-ground/multi processes to run simultaneously, the answer would be no. you'd have to have Nike+ running by itself. but then again, i'm purely speculating. hopefully you all will prove me wrong.
    07-19-2009 08:41 PM
    I'm going for a run tonight and will test this out and get back to you!
    07-20-2009 10:12 AM
    I'm going for a run tonight and will test this out and get back to you!
    Were you able to test this out?
    07-22-2009 12:47 AM
    i'd guess that since the iPhone doesn't allow back-ground/multi processes to run simultaneously, the answer would be no. you'd have to have Nike+ running by itself. but then again, i'm purely speculating. hopefully you all will prove me wrong.
    I tried this yesterday and it actually does run in background the same way a phone call runs in the background when you press the home button...you have a little red bar at the top that says return to nike+.
    Last edited by Justin; 07-22-2009 at 01:20 AM.
    07-22-2009 01:05 AM
    I tried this yesterday and it runs in actually does run in background the same way a phone call runs in the background when you press the home button...you have a little red bar at the top that says return to nike+.
    Thanks for clearing this up for everyone.
    07-22-2009 01:13 AM
    I tried this yesterday and it actually does run in background the same way a phone call runs in the background when you press the home button...you have a little red bar at the top that says return to nike+.
    hey, that's awesome to know! glad i was wrong.
    07-22-2009 08:35 AM
    Were you able to test this out?
    Not yet, but this is the behavior that I expected.
    07-22-2009 03:57 PM
    Thanks! Got more from this forum than I did from Nike, Apple and Sports Authority combined!
    07-22-2009 04:51 PM
    Glad we could help!
    07-22-2009 04:58 PM
    You can run and browse the web at the same time? I can barely run
    07-22-2009 05:29 PM
    Some people talk on the phone while they are running. IMHO, if you can talk/browse whilst running, then maybe you aren't pushing yourself enough...

It is nice to know that if you need to stop and do something, your progress isn't going to be erased...
    07-22-2009 05:36 PM
    Question for those who have the Nike +. Do I only need the $19 Nike + iPod sensor for it to link with the iPhone to track speed and distance?

I like that it can run in the background because I always play songs from the iPod and have a c25kapp running which has to stay active so if the iPod and Nike + can run in the background that would be perfect.
    07-22-2009 07:55 PM
    Question for those who have the Nike +. Do I only need the $19 Nike + iPod sensor for it to link with the iPhone to track speed and distance?
    i believe this is correct. you only need the sensor. and now you don't even need Nike+ shoes to use the sensor. they have clips that attach the sensor to your shoelaces. been hearing that this method isn't as accurate with distance/calorie calculations though. can't wait to try it out though!
    07-23-2009 08:24 AM
    You do, as the sensor needs to be attached to your shoe. If you have Nike+ shoes, then there is a slot in the shoe for the sensor to go. Otherwise you'll need a velco pouch like the one I had from Marware.
    07-23-2009 10:20 AM
    You do, as the sensor needs to be attached to your shoe. If you have Nike+ shoes, then there is a slot in the shoe for the sensor to go. Otherwise you'll need a velco pouch like the one I had from Marware.
    You need this right Nike + iPod Sport Kit - Apple Store (U.S.)?
    07-23-2009 10:22 AM
    Yes. I don't think they sell the sensor (the round piece) separately. The square white piece is the transmitter that works with iPod Nanos.
    07-23-2009 10:39 AM
    Yes. I don't think they sell the sensor (the round piece) separately. The square white piece is the transmitter that works with iPod Nanos.
    So I only need the round piece?
    07-23-2009 10:40 AM
    So I only need the round piece?
    If you have an iPhone 3GS, then yes. If not, then you will need an iPod Nano and the white square piece or an iPod Touch 2G. Unfortunately the orginal iPhone and 3G are not supported.
    07-23-2009 10:43 AM
    Thanks for the info.

Amazon actually has just the round piece for $19. For $19 I'll give it a shot. I'll also order the Marware pouch. It seems like it is one of the better pouches.
    07-23-2009 11:21 AM
    Thanks for the info.

Amazon actually has just the round piece for $19. For $19 I'll give it a shot. I'll also order the Marware pouch. It seems like it is one of the better pouches.
    I would agree with you on the Marware pouch. I bought one for my wife a little while ago. Then when I got my 3GS, I bought me a Nike+ Sensor and a Tune Belt shoe pouch for the Nike+ Sensor. It was about $5 cheaper (including shipping). Unfortunately, it feels a lot cheaper too. I've only used it a couple times, but I wish I had paid the extra money for the Marware. There's nothing wrong with the Tune Belt pouch...it works exactly the same way as the Marware. The Mareware pouch is a little smaller/compact and certainly feels better built. But if functionality is all you're looking for, the Tune Belt is just fine. (I also like the look of the Marware better too, not that it matters when it's on my shoe and I'm running though )
    07-23-2009 12:17 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD