I bought some Nike Air Pegasus with Nike+ but never got to actually use it. Once I get my 3GS, I'll go buy the sensor and take it for a spin!
    07-23-2009 01:18 PM
    I just got a pair of Nike+ and thought all along that the sensor was already in the shoe..

So I'm confused.. I have to go buy the sensor even though I just paid $100 for the shoes because its not already included in the shoes?!
    07-23-2009 04:06 PM
    I just got a pair of Nike+ and thought all along that the sensor was already in the shoe..

So I'm confused.. I have to go buy the sensor even though I just paid $100 for the shoes because its not already included in the shoes?!
    You would think it would be included.
    07-23-2009 04:10 PM

That is correct I believe the sensor is another $35 on top of the shoe purchase. This is what I found out a couple of weeks ago.
    07-23-2009 04:39 PM
    That is correct I believe the sensor is another $35 on top of the shoe purchase. This is what I found out a couple of weeks ago.
    It's 29.99 Nike + iPod Sport Kit - Apple Store (U.S.)
    07-23-2009 04:42 PM
    If you have a 3GS, this is all you need:

Amazon.com: Nike + iPod Sensor: Electronics
    07-23-2009 05:51 PM
    The transmitter (oval thing) that goes into your Nike+ compatible shoe is about $17-19. It's available at most large sporting goods store. I saw a bunch at Sports authority today. You only need the $29.99 kit if you do not have an iPod touch 2nd gen or an iPhone 3GS. If you have neither of these then the $29.99 kit provides both a transmitter and a white receiver. The receiver only works with iPod nanos (all generations)
    07-23-2009 09:12 PM
    Why won't the 3G support the Nike+ over the 3GS?
    07-24-2009 10:04 AM
    not quite sure what you mean. 3GS has the Nike+ app built in that acts as the transmitter, 3G doesn't. so if you have 3G you'd need to purchase the transmitter and sensor kit for your 3G to work with Nike+.

and i'm honestly not 100% sure Nike+ kit even works with iPhone 3G. so research that before you buy it based on my opinion. i used it with my 4th Gen Nano and it worked well.
    07-24-2009 10:20 AM

You can also get it direct from the Apple store for $19. I was going to get it online until I realized it was the same price at the Apple store 2 mins from my house.

I wondered that too, but for some reason Nike+ doesn't use bluetooth. It uses it's own custom transmitter thing. Also, I have a feeling that the $30 kit with the receiver doesn't work on the 3G, but don't know for sure...so like jglowe74 said research that first.
    07-24-2009 10:24 AM
    You can also get it direct from the Apple store for $19. I was going to get it online until I realized it was the same price at the Apple store 2 mins from my house.
    Lucky all the (4) apple stores are 30-60 minutes away from me.
    07-24-2009 10:35 AM
    not quite sure what you mean. 3GS has the Nike+ app built in that acts as the transmitter, 3G doesn't. so if you have 3G you'd need to purchase the transmitter and sensor kit for your 3G to work with Nike+.

and i'm honestly not 100% sure Nike+ kit even works with iPhone 3G. so research that before you buy it based on my opinion. i used it with my 4th Gen Nano and it worked well.
    The Nike+ Sports Kit will not work with an iPhone 3G. In their infinite wisdom, Nike and Apple designed it to only work with iPod Nanos. That's why I have a Nano in addition to my iPhone 3G - just for running.

Now some folks have managed to extract the Nike+.app from the iPod Touch and gotten it run on their iPhone 3G. (You'll need to jailbreak and either SFTP it in or use iPhoneBrowser). However the .app assumes its running on a device with a built in receiver hence it will not work with the plug in white receiver. Without the original Objective-C source its going to be nigh impossible to hack that in.
    07-24-2009 11:00 AM
    The iPhone 3G does not have the hardware (transmitter) necessary to link to the sensor.
    07-24-2009 02:37 PM
    Darn.. I didn't realize I also had to buy the sensor.

I thought it already came with the expensive shoes
    07-24-2009 05:54 PM

Thats what I though until I read here.
    07-24-2009 06:01 PM

Yeah, I thought that at first too, but it does make sense. A lot of their shoes are nike+ ready, but not everyone that buys them is.

That's why i got my tailwind 2009+ at a Nordstrom sale for $65 bucks.
    07-24-2009 06:01 PM
    Here is a screen shot of how it looks
    07-24-2009 06:49 PM
    Yeah, I thought that at first too, but it does make sense. A lot of their shoes are nike+ ready, but not everyone that buys them is.

Yeah, I ended up getting the Lunarglide+ for $100..

well worth the money though, felt great my past two runs with them
    07-24-2009 06:51 PM
    I ended up getting the Nike + Sensor and the Marware pouch (great pouch for non Nike + shoes) from Amazon. I must say, so far it is great. I really like this sensor/app.

I started the Nike + app to record my distance and time, had it shuffle all my songs without even having to go into the iPod, then I started the C25K app (tells me when to start walking/running and when I'm half way done) and it all worked smoothly.

I can track all my runs now and actually see my improvements online. The Nike + website is good too because I can set goals and create challenges for myself. Well worth the $19 (+$9 for the pouch).
    07-25-2009 11:18 PM

Thats what I though until I read here.

It is much better separate and here is why. There is a battery in the sensor and after about 2 years it will die. There are guides out there to replace the battery, but if it was built into the shoe, then you would be required to buy new shoes if the sensor died in order to continue using Nike+.
    07-27-2009 07:49 PM
    It is much better separate and here is why. There is a battery in the sensor and after about 2 years it will die. There are guides out there to replace the battery, but if it was built into the shoe, then you would be required to buy new shoes if the sensor died in order to continue using Nike+.
    I think people were just wondering why it didn't just include the sensor as well. My argument against it is they are making most of their shoes Nike+ ready, but if only 20% of people want to use it then why would you charge them an extra $20 for their shoes?
    07-27-2009 08:05 PM
    Started a TiPB Forums running team on Nike+ community page. Come join us!

http://nikerunning.nike.com/nikeplus/?l=teams,142931012
    07-28-2009 09:27 AM

joining now.
    07-28-2009 09:32 AM

lol, sweet. just joined. will start running again more in august. been forgoing the cardio lately :/
    07-28-2009 10:48 AM
    How do you guys who have the iTouch or 3GS operate the touchscreen when it's in an armband? Isn't the screen covered by a plastic sheet? The other thing I'd really worry about is triggering the liquid indicator (voiding the warranty). That's one of my main reasons for using a cheap old nano.
    07-30-2009 07:39 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD