Any rumors on when the car kit itself is coming out? I am more interested in the car kit than I am the program. Any info is great!
    07-14-2009 12:33 PM
    I'm pretty sure you need the program if you're getting the car kit. But no word that I've seen.
    07-14-2009 01:09 PM
    This was posted yesterday on MacRumors forum by "lw9090": "I just called tech support at 1-866-486-6866 and spoke to the PDA support and they said they were told that the TomTom app and accessories will be released on the same day at the end of the month. He could not give an exact date. That is around the same time I heard the full navigon version will be released too. I hope they are right. I have a trip planned for the 2nd week in August."
    07-14-2009 01:54 PM
    Do you think TOMTOM app requires internet connection? Hope not because I want that app for my iPod Touch
    07-14-2009 03:12 PM
    Im sure you could use the kit to hold and rotate with speaker and all that without the program. That seems odd, no?
    07-14-2009 03:38 PM
    Do you think TOMTOM app requires internet connection? Hope not because I want that app for my iPod Touch
    Really???? how would it know where you are? no GPS... No compass, no internet..... wow....
    07-14-2009 03:39 PM
    It actually might not need an internet connection. It could hook to their satellite. Could be grabbing all of it's info from there.
    07-14-2009 04:19 PM
    There still has been no leak as to a release date or pricing info.

The previews made it look great but I have a feeling it will be too darn expensive.
    07-14-2009 04:56 PM
    The application is not really what gets me its the Car Kit. Charge, talk, music all the time? Hell ya.
    07-14-2009 06:23 PM
    I have no doubt the app will be pricey ( hopefully they break it up to East and West Packages and put it around the $25 - $35 mark for each ). The car kit looks amazing and what had me very interested while watching WWDC.
    07-14-2009 06:44 PM
    Agreed. That has me sold, I hope I am able to fit it on while having my case on, it looks like I won't be able to as far as the demo is concerned.
    07-14-2009 08:18 PM
    I can't wait to see what the pricing will be. Based on most of the other GPS apps I expect it will be expensive ... but hope it is reasonable.
    07-14-2009 10:33 PM
    I don't like breaking it into east/west. I am in Texas - if I go west, I need the west maps, if I go east, I need the east maps. I don't mind paying for both (how about an in app purchase) but only if they integrate with each other.
    07-14-2009 10:50 PM
    I don't like breaking it into east/west. I am in Texas - if I go west, I need the west maps, if I go east, I need the east maps. I don't mind paying for both (how about an in app purchase) but only if they integrate with each other.
    I was just talking about separate map download packs, not separate apps. They would have to be fully integrated IMO.
    07-15-2009 01:35 AM
    I am betting the CarKit would be about $100 and the program ( if available to purchase separately ) will be about $50.
    07-15-2009 01:45 PM
    It actually might not need an internet connection. It could hook to their satellite. Could be grabbing all of it's info from there.
    They said the car kit has it's own gps portion. It could work with the iPod touch

The iPhone has no satelite antenna
    07-15-2009 11:00 PM
    They said the car kit has it's own gps portion. It could work with the iPod touch

The iPhone has no satelite antenna
    Historically, TomTom has the maps included, so you wouldn't need an active internet connection to use the maps. You will still need a GPS connection, and I believe that the car mount enhances the iPhone's GPS signal, not to be used as a replacement (i.e. might not work on an iPod Touch).
    07-21-2009 02:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD