REVIEW: AT&T Navigator By Telenav GPS (and how it compares to Gokivo)

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
IMHO, the 4 biggest areas that ATTN needs to fix first are:

1) lack of contacts integration
2) the distorted, muffled speaking voice
3) the occassional lag/delay that occurs when you make quick turns or successive turns
4) the slow recalculation that occurs if you miss a turn (I've timed it to be as long as 12 seconds).

Yes, there are other bugs, but these are the most immediate deficiencies.

Anyhoo, today I had a chance to go over #1-4 in detail with Telenav's PR person Mary Beth Lowell. From what I gather, #1 is being taken care of as we speak. Hopefully #2-4 will be taken care of as well in the next Telenav update.

I have to give props to Telenav AND Gokivo for being great about dealing with customer feedback/questions. I do know that both companies are presently working on bug fixes for their second roll-outs and are always ASKING for your input/feedback.

If you're on Twitter:

Gokivo can be reached at:
@Iturnbyturn
@navigationnews

Telenav:

@telenav
@marybethlowell
or you can e-mail Mary Beth: Marybethl@telenav.com

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I've been using Telenav for two weeks now and I used Gokivo prior to it's release and I have to say Tevenav, even with it's shortcomings, is the clear winner.

Too many times with Gokivo I input where I wanted to go and it would try directing me to another place out of the state! Yes, I double checked the address I would put in. ;)

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Didn't know where else to put this but the update for Gmaps came out today with voice commands, but that's the only change, none of the features seen in the Youtube vid made it, no landscape mode, nothing, and I was really looking forward to landscape mode..:(

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
I thought that when an app was free, they could not charge any more in the app. Freakin AT&T and their workaround special privileged antics.

sleeks

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
Didn't know where else to put this but the update for Gmaps came out today with voice commands, but that's the only change, none of the features seen in the Youtube vid made it, no landscape mode, nothing, and I was really looking forward to landscape mode..:(

I have East and the app store does not yet show an update as being available.

sleeks

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
Just checked and east hasn't changed (it's still 1.3), but west is now 1.31 and compatible with os 3.0. The description shoes that it still has the game in it, which is what they had to do once Apple realized that this was basically turn by turn. I don't think this is the full update yet, maybe a stopgap to ensure that it works with 3.0????

rokamortis

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the update sleeks - I just downloaded G-Map East while it is still $25. I'm still interested to see the pricing and features of the TomTom app and dock.

streetgrunt

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Do any nav apps or subscriptions allow for you to program your own route? I'm taking a road trip on my motorcycle and don't want to use what the most common route would be to avoid the traffic of several major cities. I think most nav programs would just send me to the major route (95 NY to VA). Also, Ipod integration is a must. I'm not planning on needing a nav app but it'd be nice to have as a back up.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Do any nav apps or subscriptions allow for you to program your own route? I'm taking a road trip on my motorcycle and don't want to use what the most common route would be to avoid the traffic of several major cities. I think most nav programs would just send me to the major route (95 NY to VA). Also, Ipod integration is a must. I'm not planning on needing a nav app but it'd be nice to have as a back up.

Yes , Its called an Atlas & Compass ;)
might need a notebook and a pencil too :p

streetgrunt

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Done that plenty! Kind of hard pulling out a notebook at speed on a motorcycle. I map out back toads to take but seem to find other back roads that look appealing. It'd just be nice to have a program with voice prompts for a route you program so your not reduced to mounting a gps on your handlebar, map in a tank bag, or fishing through pockets, because let's face it, stopping for a minute is just not an option! :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77