IM app

cubus

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I'm a new user and wanted to say hi. My last phone was Blackberry 8820 but today I'm supposed to get my new and shiny iPhone 3Gs :D

How ATT charges messages sent by IM applications? Is it being charged as a SMS or it just goes over the data package?

Any IM recommendations?

Thanks!

emily0605

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I use IM+ but a lot of people like BeeJive. I think BeeJive currently has push notification and IM+ is supposed to get push notification soon (update is in the app store queue).

I'm pretty sure that IMs are sent as part of the data package. I have the small $5/200 message package and only use it to text my sister and mother so I might not notice if they were being sent as SMS. I'm prett sure they aren't, though.

Got the Shakes

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I'm a new user and wanted to say hi. My last phone was Blackberry 8820 but today I'm supposed to get my new and shiny iPhone 3Gs :D

How ATT charges messages sent by IM applications? Is it being charged as a SMS or it just goes over the data package?

Any IM recommendations?

Thanks!

IM's are part of the data plan. I use BeeJive and like it a lot. I don't think the update for BeeJive with push is out yet. Some IM apps give you the option of having SMS messages sent to you if you're offline and if that setting is turned on them whenever it sends you a text it will count against your messaging plan.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I use IM+ but a lot of people like BeeJive. I think BeeJive currently has push notification and IM+ is supposed to get push notification soon (update is in the app store queue).

I'm pretty sure that IMs are sent as part of the data package. I have the small $5/200 message package and only use it to text my sister and mother so I might not notice if they were being sent as SMS. I'm prett sure they aren't, though.

Yes BeeJive with push should be out any day now.

rapidblue

Sep 13, 2008
Visit site
IMs are sent as part of your data package - no SMS needed.

IM+ and BeeJive are the two most popular clients (I use BeeJive, because I used to use it on my BB too). Both will have push versions in the iTunes store SOON - can't wait!!!

cubus

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks

Thanks a lot guys. I was affraid I'd miss my BB messanger to much, but I guess I will get over it. :)

so far I love it, and gee those web sites just look awesome :D

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Congrats on the device.

I also have and use BeeJive. The push notification may come soon or may not. No one knows. The update was submitted already, but Apple releases whenever they want to. My opinion is that they're waiting for everything to die down (activations) prior to releasing them. We know AIM is done for sure and still hasn't been released. In fact, no IM app seems to have push yet and they all are claiming to they have submitted and are waiting for "The Savior" to approve.