Pros:
  • Well made ambigrams
  • Can choose from two different "fonts"
  • Can use different words

Cons
  • Only can make 5 ambigrams
  • Basically it is an advertisement to purchase them from the company
  • Tedious design and poor use of menus and controls

I had no idea what an ambigram was until I read Demons and Angels. For people familiar with the book or movie, they know what it is. For those that aren't familiar, basically it is a word which, when written in a specific font, can be read both the correct way and upside down.

It's a cool concept, and iAmbigram takes the concept and lets users create their own.

When creating an ambigram, you can choose two words - either the same word, or different (but similar in length). One word is defined as the forwards reading, one is what you will read when the ambigram is flipped. You can type in the words into the blank fields, then choose one of two fonts - either block letters or script. I found that the block letters option generally works better. Once you choose the settings, you then hit the green button to create your ambigram. Once created, you get a preview of it, and can choose to "select it" or start over. Selecting it simply means that it will put the image on a nice background so you can save the image to your camera roll. Starting over means, well, you are starting the process over.

One note, saving the ambigram to your camera roll simply creates a white text image on black background - you don't get the cool special effects of the spinning word.

The ambigrams it creates are pretty cool, and I really like the fact you can choose different words to be read forwards and backwards. So why is this rated two stars? One word: commercial. Basically this app is a commerical for a web site that sells ambigrams. You can create five ambigrams with your "credits", and save those creations as images in your camera roll. However, once they are created, you are done. You have the option of purchasing a "high res image" of your ambigram from the website as well.

I tried removing and reinstalling the app to see if I got five new credits, but I ran into a host of problems (the apps is installed, but now doesn't appear on the springboard!!). Even if you can do that, it is a pain in the neck to remove and reinstall the app everytime you want to make 5 new ambigrams. In addition. the loops you have to jump through are tedious (even just choosing two create a new ambigram after you have already made one).

All in all, this app has potential that is completely shot down by the attempt to make more money. I can understand if someone wants to buy a high res image of their ambigrams, but you should be allowed to create as many as you want to save to your iPhone. To do anything less is just..well...cheap. The images it creates are nice, and if you want to spend $1 to be able to create five ambigrams, go for it. But I would wait till they change their policy of limiting how many you can make. Two out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Snowman81

Feb 13, 2007
Visit site
Only 5 ambigrams and yet they want you to pay for it? If the app is just to promote their services they should just give the app away for free. Even though its only .99c if it has limited use then its a ripoff.

astrosaurus

Jun 18, 2009
www.astrosaurus.com
Yeah, there is absolutely NO reason why they should limit it. It's not like people can get the high res files and do stuff with it anyhow. Having said that, I AM a little curious on how my name works with an ambigram. Shamefully enough I'm going to download the lite version. They got me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73