AppleInsider | Three turn-by-turn GPS solution providers plan iPhone offerings

So so far, confirmed GPS Apps for 3.0: 1) TomTom, 2) Navigon, 3) G-Map East/West.

Garmin and Magellan are out. Garmin wants to focus on their Nuviphone. IMHO, that's a mistake. Garmin had a great opportunity to partner with the most popular smartphone on the planet and they blew it - time will tell how bad the mistake was. Kudos to TomTom (and the others) for seizing the opportunity.

Lastly, I'm feeling pretty confident Telenav and Sygic will be up next. I'm torn between TomTom or Telenav. Maybe I'll take both? I already have G-Map.
    06-10-2009 06:26 PM
    Nice. I like having options...well...minus Telenav which I have never been a fan of. I have always used Tom Tom, but Navigon looks sweet...
    06-10-2009 06:31 PM
    Nice. I like having options...well...minus Telenav which I have never been a fan of. I have always used Tom Tom, but Navigon looks sweet...
    You don't like Telenav? Bah!

Yeah, I'd never heard of Navigon up until this week, but it does look awesome.
    06-11-2009 06:19 AM
    Had Sprint's version of TeleNav and it never lived up to Tom Tom. The Navigon graphics look incredible.
    06-11-2009 10:02 AM
    I am a long time Palm/Treo Tom Tom user, so I will probably look into that. I don't like the idea of subscription based GPS services.

In my mind, one of the real questions will be the maps. I know with the Treo, TomTom put all the maps on a 1GB SD card - hopefully they can put all the maps on the iPhone as well, and you don't have to download as you go.

Chris
    06-11-2009 10:07 AM
    I am a long time Palm/Treo Tom Tom user, so I will probably look into that. I don't like the idea of subscription based GPS services.

In my mind, one of the real questions will be the maps. I know with the Treo, TomTom put all the maps on a 1GB SD card - hopefully they can put all the maps on the iPhone as well, and you don't have to download as you go.

Chris
    My guess is that the maps will be downloaded from iTunes when you get the app. I think that the GPS apps have to provide their own maps, as that was part of the SDK. Don't see why they would have you download as you go...
    06-11-2009 10:18 AM
    06-11-2009 01:19 PM
    xGPS is also planning to release version 2.0 of their software (currently available only for jailbroken phones) on the App Store.
    06-11-2009 01:22 PM

Chris
    I too am a Treo/TomTom user. I am looking forward to retiring my Treo. I will stay with TomTom, with confidence that they will use the 3.0 capabilities to implement all of the great features of their integrated units.

I have a lot invested in learning to exploit the UI of TomTom. There may be other great systems; I can even imagine a better UI. However, it would have to be a super combination to overcome the advantage that TomTom has with me.
    06-11-2009 02:06 PM
    My guess is that the maps will be downloaded from iTunes when you get the app. I think that the GPS apps have to provide their own maps, as that was part of the SDK. Don't see why they would have you download as you go...
    No, nor do I.

TomTom sells separate map packages. As a US user I do not have European maps but can purchase them over the net if I want them. As a pricing mechanism, I would like to see TomTom sell different combinations of software and maps over the app store. Maps also take storage; I would like to have everything, but only what, I need.
    06-11-2009 02:12 PM
    Welllll, maybe I have found something that will trump my knowledge of the TomTom UI. PC Mag suggests that Navigon may be available next week. I have always said that real products are available to all buyers, on demand, and at an announced price: all else is vaporware. I will likely buy the first product available and everything later will have a higher hurdle to compete. I pay for "early:" early is a great feature.
    Last edited by whmurray; 06-11-2009 at 02:27 PM.
    06-11-2009 02:23 PM
    I'm waiting until they are all out. I just want maps stored on the device and no subscription.
    06-11-2009 08:59 PM
    I'm waiting until they are all out. I just want maps stored on the device and no subscription.
    Same here. We'll see how it all shakes out.
    06-12-2009 09:34 AM
    As great as it is to get the "early " ones, it also means dealing with bugs and things that need fixed after an update, which by then, all others have theirs out too :P
    06-12-2009 10:24 AM
    I'm really looking forward to the TomTom app being released because I drive a lot and from the looks of it it will be the best navi app yet.
    06-13-2009 03:50 AM
    One thing of note: neither TomTom nor Navigon have confirmed whether or not their app will have "text to speech" (saying the actual street names). To me, that's kind of a *must-have* feature for a GPS app. If you're gonna talk, tell me the name of the street too so I don't have to keep looking at the screen. G-Map *has* confirmed text to speech (in their 3.0 YouTube preview)--so that will factor heavily in my decision.
    IIRC, Telenav also has text to speech.
    06-13-2009 05:08 PM
    Just to clarify, *all* GPS systems have the ability to tell you to turn left, right in 3 miles or 225 feet, etc. There's generic voice capability ("in 100 yards, turn right") and then you have "text to speech" ("in 100 yards, turn right on LaGrant Road")--from what I can remember, the TomTom demo did not feature street-naming capability but I'm not sure; the demo was pretty short. I'll have to re-watch the keynote.

Here's a good link re: explanation of "text to voice" on GPS systems:

Text To Speech GPS Review

If we watch the Tapcritic's youtube video of G-Map 3.0, it actually does support text-to-speech:

http://tapcritic.com/2009/04/24/g-ma...dance-preview/

Here's hoping that ALL (TomTom, Navigon, Nav'N'Go, etc.) all have this important feature.
    06-14-2009 10:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD